Answered

Is there an option to see the volume level of the Sonos Beam on my Samsung TV

• 2 July 2022
  • 7 replies

I purchased a Sonos Beam a few years ago and when it was connected to my very old Samsung Smart TV when I adjusted the volume up and down I saw volume control numbers on my TV.  When I upgraded my TV to a new Samsung Smart TV and connected my Sonos Beam the volume indicated on the left side of the screen does not show any volume level numbers, Just a Plus and Minus symbol.  

Today, we had a very brief power outage and the TV displayed a picture while the Beam was still powering up and when I adjusted the volume I noticed that before the Beam was operational the TV had volume level numbers but once the Sonos powered up, it was back to Plus and Minus.  So obviously there’s something with the Sonos that’s controlling what the TV displays and what it doesn’t.  So my question is this..

Is there a setting within the BEAM to that controlling the display that I can adjust so I can actually see the volume level?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 3 July 2022, 17:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No there’s not. Sorry.

It would actually be a setting in your TV, if it existed, not in the Sonos controller. 

How are you controlling Volume? TV remote? Cable box remote? SONOS controller?

I’m not optimistic that the TV wants to display this data, but you could try going through the SONOS TV setup procedure again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Both my 2011 and my 2019 Samsung do not show volume level on screen when my Beam is connected. They just show up or down.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I’m controlling the volume with my DirecTV controller and the Samsung remote control and both only show volume up and down unless I turn the Sonos off and then they show a numeric level.  Not a big deal but it would have been nice if there was a numeric option.

Again, that’s an option built in to CEC, and actually isn’t part of the Sonos software. The CEC hub, your TV set, needs to implement that. 

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I’m controlling the volume with my DirecTV controller and the Samsung remote control and both only show volume up and down unless I turn the Sonos off and then they show a numeric level.  Not a big deal but it would have been nice if there was a numeric option.

In the absence of an external speaker, the TV is almost certainly just displaying its internal speaker volume (what else could it do?).  When Sonos is switched on, the TV realises that the internal speaker volume isn’t relevant any more and stops displaying it.  Your TV then gives up and says ‘well, I can tell you if you have pushed the up or down button’.

As others have said, nothing to do with Sonos.