Is My Roam Dead? Won't power on.

• 24 April 2021
  • 76 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 66 replies

After struggling to get my Roam pairing with Bluetooth devices and finally succeeding, I managed to get my Roam working both via the S2 app and via Bluetooth. For a day. It charged to 100% and was working plugged-in and on battery. I turned it off last night and woke up this morning and nothing I do will turn it on or wake it up (if it were sleeping. I've tried multiple chargers and cables (in case the battery somehow went dead. No joy, no lights, no sound, nothing. I could occasionally see a faint orange LED near the center below the SONOS logo underneath the mesh, but it goes away eventually. Anyone else have the same problem or suggestions? I've tried to factory reset and that isn't working. Held he power for over 20 seconds with and without the play pause button held simultaneously. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Xander P 2 years ago

Hi @smarner, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If none of the steps above have worked, including the hard reset (13~ seconds holding down the power button), and you’ve confirmed that the charger in use meets the recommended requirements (5V/2A), then I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team via live chat or phone call so they can take a closer look :)

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you still see the Roam under your Products in the Sonos app? What happens when you perform the steps in this article to reset the speaker? 
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

No, it no longer appears in the app. And nothing happens when I perform a reset.

Userlevel 7

Try to charge the Roam for about 15 minutes and then try to add the Roam/run the setup process in the Sonos app again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’ve been charging it all day on various chargers. It simply won’t turn on. I’m pretty sure this one is defective.

Userlevel 1

Oh dear, mine seemed to be experiencing the same problem but I have just tried it to charge via usb cable and it seems to have started working, but it doesn’t explain why it didn’t charge on the wireless charger. Try using the USB cable instead of wireless charger if you haven’t tried it, must be some bug for the wireless charger

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It would really help if those who reply here first read the narrative and other comments before suggesting the OP do something that has already be explained has been done. 

Userlevel 1

It would really help if those who reply here first read the narrative and other comments before suggesting the OP do something that has already be explained has been done. 

I am sure many people will be rushing to help you and share their experiences of what they did to fix their issues….

I'm having  the same issue :(

Charged to 100%.. now it won't turn on but I get the orange faint light. It won't detect on the sonos app either.. 

I'm considering sending it back. 3days in.. I  shouldn't be having issues this early on

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Sadly, Mine is on its way back to Best Buy. I tried everything to resurrect it. Nothing worked. 

Mine has a flashing orange/red light after being charged, I can’t get it to turn on/off! Is it a return job?

I think my Roam is dead too. Worked for one day. Tried to charge today- nothing. Tried various chargers, 5w, 10w, (single usb), no sign of life. Tried other USB c cable. Nothing. Tried holding pause button at same time as power etc to do a hard reset. Nope.  Back to the shop for you. Sigh.

My Roam is also dead. Bought it to be used in our newly bought housemobile. Bought Sonos since I wanted something reliable...here we are 😂

Userlevel 2

Mine is dead too!

Userlevel 1

Mine is also dead - tried the same reset and troubleshooting tactics everyone here has suggested. Going to try to submit a support ticket tomorrow. Super frustrating - have owned the thing for less than 48 hours. Told friends to steer clear. 

Same problem.   My new Roam worked for 2 weeks, but now it won’t power on.   Orange light comes on when I plug in the USB C cable, but nothing else.

Userlevel 1

Came back here to report maybe some positive news for other folks - I spent some time with Sonos support today, and they recommended a hard reset, which isn’t in the user guide… Hold the power button down for 12 seconds until the orange light turns back on. Wait a few moments and then see if you get the white light at the top back. If you do, check the app and see if it’s back online. This did the trick for me and now it’s working normally again! (Before I did this, I couldn’t get it to do anything outside of the orange light turning on when I plugged it in.)

Same problem here and none of the above solutions resolve the issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @smarner, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If none of the steps above have worked, including the hard reset (13~ seconds holding down the power button), and you’ve confirmed that the charger in use meets the recommended requirements (5V/2A), then I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team via live chat or phone call so they can take a closer look :)

Thank you. I just needed to be more patient. First, it needed to charge more. Second, after performing a hard reset (with no feedback that anything happened other than the orange light blinked instead of remaining illuminated) it took several minutes for it to reconnect and for the white light to turn on. It is now working again and shows up in the app. Not sure how the charge ran out considering it was left plugged into the charger.

I’m completely confused by this device. I get it working after a struggle and then the next day it fails to connect to WiFi and Bluetooth. White and red lights are on and the app appears in my iPhone S2 controller but says “off line”. I held the button at the back for about a minute and the red light came on, then went off again. Then I held the button for about 30 seconds and the white and red light came on together - NB: at no time did the Roam chime. It is now working  - but for how long? Also, the controller stated that the charge was 85% but when I got Raom working again it states only 15% charge.   

I think this new product has gremlins that Sonos need to work through and support this forum by giving advice.

Came back here to report maybe some positive news for other folks - I spent some time with Sonos support today, and they recommended a hard reset, which isn’t in the user guide… Hold the power button down for 12 seconds until the orange light turns back on. Wait a few moments and then see if you get the white light at the top back. If you do, check the app and see if it’s back online. This did the trick for me and now it’s working normally again! (Before I did this, I couldn’t get it to do anything outside of the orange light turning on when I plugged it in.)

Thank you. This did it for me. We should not be having these problems.... 

I have had the same issue, tried multiple cables, chargers, power points etc with no luck.

Tried the 13 second hard reset, as well as the other reset methods and nothing, not even a blink on a light.

But after doing this reset I tried pulling hung in to charge again and it instantly turned on? The battery was reading 98% full so it wasn’t a dead battery.

Seems to be working now, will update again if anything changes.

I had only used the Roam for maybe 10-15 minutes total on 2 occasions since purchasing.

Really disappointed in this product. Have had it less than a month and every time I want to use it I need to hard reset it. Would advise others not to buy. I have a lot of Sonos equipment and this is the first utter failure. 

Not used it for a couple of weeks, tried turning it on and nothing. Charged for 15 mins,  orange light shows but can't get it to power on. Hard reset without power cable results in the solid orange light showing then fades. Does this sound similar to others experience? 

Depends on your charging option, mostly. What power source are you using to charge it? Are you using a direct connection via USB C, or are you using a Qi charger? What’s the voltage/amperage of that power supply?

Have you updated to the latest version of S2?
Have you tried a factory reset of the device?
Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?