Question

Is it the Access Point or the Reach of the Boost who doesn't make me see all the speakers?

• 12 October 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi
I try to describe my setup:
- I have 3 Access Points from Ubiquiti (on 3 floors of a rather big house)
- 1 Netgear Switch (in the basement and a star-RJ45 network going into the rooms.. where the AP's are)
- 1 Ubuqiutiy Security Gateway (my Router, where the Switch is connected to)
- 1 Sonos Boost (in one of the rooms on the ground floor hard-wired)

I guess I have a BOOST-Network (what sonos calls it... but not sure about that)

My Problem: When I connect my controller on a Apple Device (Iphone or MacBook) which is connected over my home WIFI, the controller only recognizes the speakers on that floor where I just am (e.g. when I am in the living room, then the controller finds the speakers in the living room). When I move upwards (and I guess my mac-book connects with the UbiquiI AP on the top floor), then the speakers there won't be recognized. When I log out from my controller and log in again, sometimes the speakers on the Top-Floor are shown (and the ones in the living room not) or vice versa.....

Question: So what do i need to do, that my controller can show all speakers in my house?

- Would another Boost hard wired to my network (on the top floor) help solve the situation? .... I am thinking by using the Boost, I have a separate Sonos-Net and the Ubuquit-AP are irrelevant anyway but the first Boost is too far away from the speakers on the upper floor and a second one would solve the problem

OR
- Might the problem be that I have various Access-Points and my Controller..... which is connected over my labtop and then my WIFI through the AP somehow doesn't see all the loudspeakers because I am changing from one AP to another ???

If you have read until here and know an answer, your help is kindly appreciated.

Regards
Tom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

OR:
- I would use a Android-Device which can directly connect to the Sonos-Net and therefore see all speakers?
IIRC there have been reports of issues with Ubiquiti APs not forwarding a controller's discovery broadcasts correctly, but that can't be the problem here since your controller is actually finding some players.

At a guess you have a simple wireless range/interference issue. If you need APs spread throughout the house maybe the BOOST is struggling to be heard. Additional wired Sonos units might help, but first I'd suggest you submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number. Sonos Support can advise on the condition of the SonosNet mesh.

As for Androids, yes they can connect directly to a nearby Sonos device. However you could run into the same problem of not seeing all your players if the SonosNet connectivity is not great.
I think @ratty is right that specific diagnosis from Sonos Support is the best way forward. One query though - If you look at the IP addresses of a speaker on the top floor and another in the living room, are they identical in their first three numbers, e'g 192.168.1? I think they will be, but just wondered.....
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Sounds more like you are NOT running SonosNet mode (Boost mode), but instead using WiFi with the players, AND restricting communication between different APs.

Not seeing all players indicate that not even the players can communicate with each other, because the list of players are received from the player or BOOST that the controller found first. I know ubiquiti components are far more capable than regular access points and probably doesn't forward traffic transparently between them with standard configuration.

But first, I would verify that you are running SonosNet mode or Boost mode (players should say WM:0 when viewing "about my system" in the controller).
If the OP never configured the WiFi details into Sonos it must all be on SonosNet. Equally if the WiFi credentials are in there the system could be in Mixed Mode. The WM values would indeed shed light on this.
Do you perchance have 'client isolation' turned on on the AP's? If so I'm pretty sure that is the issue.