iPhone Drop out

Badge +1
Good evening,

We have a client that is experiencing problems when streaming music from his iPhone. When choosing a song, it will play sometimes for a minute or two other times longer, then just drop out.
Using another phone with Sonos controller on it we were able to see the error message. It stated that the iPhone with that track on it was no longer on the network and we should restarted the controller on that iPhone.

The house has a large network using ubiquiti access points and switches with a Luxul XBR 4400 router. All the Sonos are tied to an IP address via their MAC addresses in the router. There is a mix of Sonos Connects and Connect Amps.
When the problem occurs, we know there is a really good WiFi coverage as there is an access points in close proximity. The networks firmware is up to date and the iPhone is less then 6 months old with the latest software on it.

We believe it leans towards and network issue and wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem with an ubiquiti / luxul set up or if there are any things we should check on the network set up. We did go through the recommended setting for a Sonos network and believe we have everything set up correctly.

thanks in advance.

Murray

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Murray, there's an issue we're currently working on where streaming from iOS devices cuts out when the device goes into auto-lock and there are other AirPlay devices on the network.

This issue is specific to playing tracks or podcasts off of an iOS device using the "On this iPhone" or "On this iPad" feature within the Sonos app. We've found that playing off of the device can have audio cutouts, skips, or failure to play entirely, when the iOS device goes to sleep, or the lock screen comes on. With the issue we're investigating, it only comes up if you also have an AirPlay receiving capable (non-Sonos) device on the network, like an Apple TV. This also results in the Sonos iOS lock screen no longer working.

We're looking into it, but for now, the only fix would be to play the tracks or podcasts in another way, not off of that phone, or using AirPlay 2 instead if you have a Sonos One, Beam, Play:5 gen2, or Playbase. Alternatively, you could find the AirPlay capable device that's on your network and either isolate Sonos from it (by setting up a secondary network) or turn off AirPlay beaconing on that device.

If the issue your customer is seeing only happens after that phone goes to sleep, and only when tracks are playing off of it directly, likely this is what you're running into, and you can follow the steps above.
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan for the quick response.
There is an Apple TV on the network as well as a Control 4 home controller running their version of Airplay. I will turn these off and see if it improves the situation.

Thanks again for the help and I will post the results when we have them.

Murray .
Badge +1
Just a quick update.

Switching off the Airplay on the Apple TV and the Control 4 made all the difference. The client is happy for now, although is looking forward to hearing there is a fix and he can switch his Airplay back on the Apple TV.

regards
Badge +1
We did the update to our clients system this week thinking that would solve the issue with the iPhone and Apple TV´s Airplay being on the same network. In fact it has made it worse, the AirPlay is not switched back on as yet and the client has complained of getting the same error message as when the Apple TV´s AirPlay was activated. Manages about 6 to seven songs before dropping the connection to the phone.

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just us?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Murray
I am so frustrated with his situation. I cannot get through even one song without it dropping and skipping to the next one. This doesn't happen when playing downloaded music via my computer, but that is not convenient. I want to use my iPhoneX to play music "on my phone." I am currently building a second home and cannot imagine I will be installing Sonos products unless this issue is totally taken care of. The internet is full of people complaining about this issue of not being able to use their iPhones of all types to play their downloaded music. Fix this issue!
Never owned any Sonos equipment.
Bought 2 play1 to see if I would like it, I did until my phone went to sleep.
The music either stops, skips to the next song and you get about 30 seconds before it skips again only to go completely off.
I have read a lot of post and tried everything thing, nothing works.
Any new suggestions on the fix, I am not interested in keeping the phone from going to sleep in order to keep the music going.
I had plans convert a lot of what I have in audio to sonos, if something this simple can’t be resolved and given it use to not be a problem I will be returning what I have purchased and move on to something else.
Ok, so Sonos is "made for iPhone", but doesn't work with iPhone!?!?!? Really. This issue is unbearably unacceptable. Get it fixed or expect a "one" - way return. My first foray into the Sonos realm could be my swiftest last.
Hello, after switching from Sky and upgrading to Talk Talk, I'm really unhappy to discover that the problem is not with my WFi dropping out, but it's do with Sonos and iPhone compatibility. This is really annoying as I'm not inclined to buy myself a new mobile just to stream my music. Can someone please let me know what Sonos are doing to resolve this issue -if anything?!
Having the same issue now, only works on my iPhone when streaming to the Beam. The 3x Play 3's and Connect downstairs are all grouped and anything from my iPhone cuts out in a minute or two. Told to switch off all airplay devices (mac, iPad, apple tv) and if it still happens, just group all speakers together but the point is each room can have whatever they want, not an acceptable fix. Any news on the update to stop this from happening?
Hi Murray, there's an issue we're currently working on where streaming from iOS devices cuts out when the device goes into auto-lock and there are other AirPlay devices on the network.

This issue is specific to playing tracks or podcasts off of an iOS device using the "On this iPhone" or "On this iPad" feature within the Sonos app. We've found that playing off of the device can have audio cutouts, skips, or failure to play entirely, when the iOS device goes to sleep, or the lock screen comes on. With the issue we're investigating, it only comes up if you also have an AirPlay receiving capable (non-Sonos) device on the network, like an Apple TV. This also results in the Sonos iOS lock screen no longer working.

We're looking into it, but for now, the only fix would be to play the tracks or podcasts in another way, not off of that phone, or using AirPlay 2 instead if you have a Sonos One, Beam, Play:5 gen2, or Playbase. Alternatively, you could find the AirPlay capable device that's on your network and either isolate Sonos from it (by setting up a secondary network) or turn off AirPlay beaconing on that device.

If the issue your customer is seeing only happens after that phone goes to sleep, and only when tracks are playing off of it directly, likely this is what you're running into, and you can follow the steps above.

Turning off Airplay on my Apple TV solved this issue for me

I have two Play 1s and an Apple TV on my network. Before turning off Airplay on the Apple TV and playing from my iPhone to the Sonos it wouldn’t get through one song before cutting out. After turning Airplay off it plays fine.

Don’t know what priority Sonos has on this issue but worth making it high as my setup is probably common and the constant disconnections caused me to give a 1 star rating on the App Store

Anyway, thank you to Ryan S for the solution
Badge +1
Hi here is the latest for my client.

Following the advice from this Sonos forum we installed a new Sonos One and explained to the client that he would have to start to play the music in that room and then join the other rooms to that one. He accepted that and we installed the Sonos One. Within 24 hours he has complained of the same issue.

When we Airplay from iTunes on the phone to the Sonos One and then add the rooms, it works fine. However going out of one app, to another then back to the Sonos app isn´t something he is prepared to do. Plus he says he will probably forget how it works as this is a second home so he is not always here.

We have suggested music streaming services / NAS drives, but the client was not interest in any of them and just wants to play things from his phone as promised.

There is an Apple TV on the network which we have in the past turned off the Airplay, but his wife likes to stream things from her phone to it, so it always is switched back on. I am not going to suggest that they could either watch Apple TV or listen to music.

Are Sonos going to fix the "play from this phone" feature or do I have to explain to our client that even though Sonos is a large company and they sell their products through the Apple Store they don´t actually work with each other. And that that his 12 zone setup should be scrapped and look for an alternative that works.

Hoping for an end to this nightmare.
Badge +1
Ok found the answer to my own question...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585

this should go down like a lead balloon....
Userlevel 3
Badge
I am so frustrated with his situation. I cannot get through even one song without it dropping and skipping to the next one. This doesn't happen when playing downloaded music via my computer, but that is not convenient. I want to use my iPhoneX to play music "on my phone." I am currently building a second home and cannot imagine I will be installing Sonos products unless this issue is totally taken care of. The internet is full of people complaining about this issue of not being able to use their iPhones of all types to play their downloaded music. Fix this issue!

Check out this other thread... SONOS is really screwing us here.
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/removing-the-on-this-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-feature-6826631
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Check out this other thread... SONOS is really screwing us here.https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/removing-the-on-this-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-feature-6826631
Well if you read the thread you would know this is an Apple issue.
Userlevel 3
Badge
You're wrong. This is a SONOS issue. They marketed the iphone feature, SONOS told me how great it was to play from my iPhone , SONOS collected my money, and SONOS has. ot come up with an adequate solution such as replacing my equipment. This is 100 percent a sonos issue. Any reasonable person can see that. You obviously work for sonos.

Again, if you're such a supporter, you can buy my degraded equipment.

I want my money back. I now have captive equipment that doesn't work for the single reason I purchased it. How can you not see this is an issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not sure what you expect Sonos to do here? Apple have, with multiple iOS releases, made it increasingly impossible for background apps to "do work", such as stream files over the network. If you read this forum regularly for the last six months you will see lots of people complaining about how the problem was getting worse, and in the end Sonos determined it was impossible to fix, so they are removing the feature. (As I predicted a month ago).

Sonos don't have a choice here: Apple are not interested in allowing apps to run in the background, and Sonos need that feature to stream directly from the phone.

There are many other ways to playing music on Sonos, all of them more reliable than trying to use a Phone OS to run a music server.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Its fairly simple. I expect Sonos to give me my money back or swap the equipment. Your argument is full of problems. You seem to let Sonos off the hook (you're likely an employee with 1700 replies). They sold, and profited by advertising these features. Now they are being removed.... Its insane. Its unacceptable, and there are a lot of people upset with this outcome. Simply look at other threads.

Its as if Samsung decided to remove texting ability on their phones. Everyone would want their money back. Imagine Samsung told you to use Facebook to text. Absolutely not.

"There are many other ways to playing music on Sonos" - You are simply incorrect. In my current setup, all solutions require additional money / costly subscription services, additional equipment, or require clunky grouping to get old equipment to play.

"Sonos don't have a choice here" - They can refund my money or provide equipment necessary to restore my service

Again, the problem is they sold me this system based on defined set of needs. In one case. I needed to sit outside on my patio, control outdoor speakers, download a song instantaneously play it... all from my iPhone. All my music is stored on my phone. I don't have a Mac, I don't subscribe to apple music, I have ZERO interest in loading my music somewhere else.. All the solutions are terrible and require more money.

I expect Sonos to either refund my money or provide new equipment with capable features. Again they cant market something and then remove the feature..

If you're such a supporter, you can buy the degraded equipment from me. Message me back and i'll gladly unload it to you.