IP address conflicts - help!

I am continually having IP address conflicts, apparently between Sonos component(s) and other network devices.
I use a Belkin 5230 router (new, as I thought problem was with previous router), with an IP of 192.168.2.1 and my DHCP client list shows:
Home PC 192.168.2.5
iPad 192.168.2.2
Laptop 192.168.2.6
Sonos zonebridge 192.168.2.8
and an un-named device which I can only assume is my Vodaphone Sure Signal mobile phone booster on 192.168.2.7.
There is also the wife's work laptop which doesnt show on the DHCP clientlist, as it has a static address (I think) of 192.168.2.3
However, checking the Sonos controller tells me the other Sonos components (which don't show on the router's DHCP list) are thus:
Controller 192.168.2.9
Portable ZP 192.168.2.7
Living room ZP 192.168.2.6

So, it looks like the conflict is on both 2.6 & 2.7, but it has been on other items at different times as I've tried to reolve this. There seems to be an impact on various of the above network devices, as they drop connections. eg as soon as I connected the Sonos ZB, the wife's laptop reported a conflict.
Can anyone help me unravel this please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Welcome to the forums.

If you have any devices with a static IP configured into them, these MUST be outside the range used by the DHCP server. If you want to fix IP addresses it's much safer to reserve them for specific devices in the DHCP server itself.

Ensure that the DHCP server has sufficient addresses in its pool.

Flush any IP duplicates out. To do this power everything off and restart in order:

- modem (if separate)
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS, wired computers and other wired devices
- WiFi connected devices

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.
Thanks Ratty, I'll try that when I can power down, but I do wonder how that would help, as the router cannot see the Sonos addresses (except for the ZB), so how would it know those addresses had already been assigned?
Also, might be tricky to change the wife's work laptop IP address to fix outside of range, as when I first fixed it, her company IT guy said it prevented it connectin to her workplace system when in her office.
Am I right in thinking, that as wife's laptop doesn't show on the DHCP list, it must be fixed?
Thanks Ratty, I'll try that when I can power down, but I do wonder how that would help, as the router cannot see the Sonos addresses (except for the ZB), so how would it know those addresses had already been assigned?
This may be a symptom of the current address conflict. All Sonos devices should appear as if they are wired via Ethernet (they all connect via the wired ZB).

Also, might be tricky to change the wife's work laptop IP address to fix outside of range, as when I first fixed it, her company IT guy said it prevented it connectin to her workplace system when in her office.

In that case, move your DHCP server's address range.

Is it you or the IT guy who wants the laptop IP to be fixed? The IT guy must have his work cut out if he's keeping all the office devices on static IPs. :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking, that as wife's laptop doesn't show on the DHCP list, it must be fixed?

Yes. If it has an IP statically configured, it won't send any request to the DHCP server. The DHCP server won't know anything about it and - worst of all - would happily hand out the very same address to another device if the address fell within the available DHCP address pool.
I didn't realise that the Sonos items should all show on the DHCP list, as only ZB is actually connected to router.
The fixing of the wife's laptop IP address was something I tried when advised elsewhere, to cure this problem. At that time, the conflict was with her laptop. I think her IT guy must have changed the fix, as I did it to 2.50, not the 2.3 it says it is now (when checking ipconfig/all).
I'd like to understand the background to this problem (without getting too techy!) - how does this conflict affect my wife's laptop, when that isn't an IP address that is the same as anything else?
I'd like to understand the background to this problem (without getting too techy!) - how does this conflict affect my wife's laptop, when that isn't an IP address that is the same as anything else?
I can't say for sure, but any IP address configured statically into a device which also falls within the DHCP range is a disaster waiting to happen.

I suggest you remove the static address in your wife's laptop (assuming it's not needed for work - it shouldn't be) and any other statically configured addresses in anything else.

Then reboot your network as previously outlined. The system should sort itself out.

If you want to fix any IPs, do it via the DHCP configuration. Most DHCP servers should have an option which in effect says "always give this device the same IP address whenever it asks".
Userlevel 2
How does this conflict affect my wife's laptop, when that isn't an IP address that is the same as anything else?
As stated above by Ratty: the 2.3 address is in the list of available addresses at your DHCP server. So if another device requests a address, and DHCP does not know that 2.3 is allready in use, it can offer this address to the new device. The result is that the new device with the same address as the laptop is causing a ip-conflict.

You might be able to exclude the fixed ip 192.168.2.3 from your DHCP scope, or make a reservation for this address for the laptop. Even if the laptop does not do a request since it is on fixed ip, the address will still be reserved for the laptop, and will not be able to cause an ip-conflict.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Ok, here's where I'm now at.
I changed the DHCP range to begin at 2.4, thus excluding my wife's laptop which is 2.3 - that seems ok.
I then powered off everything, and repowered sequentially as previously suggested by Ratty. The Sonos players do now show on the DHCP client list, but see comment below*
So here's the before and after IP addresses of everything:
Home pc was 2.2 now 2.8
iPad was 2.9 still 2.9
My Laptop was 2.6 now 2.10
ZPs now are 2.4 & 2.5 respectively (shown as these on both DHCP list and also on Sonos controller settings).
* when I first checked the ZB was shown as 2.2, (ie outside revised DHCP range) so I rebooted and it changed to 2.6, but it's now disappeared from DHCP list! The controller says the ZB is 2.6.

Another thing that may be a concern is that according to the Sonos controller settings, the controller itself is 2.9 - what it always was, and apparently same as the iPad. Isn't this now a conflict?

Thanks for your continued help, guys. I have to go out now, so will action any further comments/ideas later - Keep em coming.
Badge +4
I used to have IP conflcits which seemed to reboot my wireless router. Now, via my router, I see the list of devices via DHCP and reserve the assigned IP address to the listed device. Since then.....everything has worked smoothly.
Userlevel 2
the controller itself is 2.9 - what it always was, and apparently same as the iPad. Isn't this now a conflict?
Yes, it is. The iPad might not have been rebooted completely?

Edit: or do you mean the controller software on the iPad; the controller software will show the same address as the system it is running on, and that's the way it is supposed to be.
I have not yet set up Sonos on the iPad, so the apparent conflict is on the actual Sonos controller itself.
Davey 400 - I agree with comment re Ipad rebooting, as I didnt actually disconnect from wifi, so I guess it would have retained 2.9, so now need to power off everything and repeat previous exercise, I guess.

So, any thoughts why ZB is not showing on DHCP list? Does it matter? Maybe it's because the router still sees it as 2.2, and thus outside of DHCP range?
And should the Sonos controller show on the DHCP list?
Davey 400 - I agree with comment re Ipad rebooting, as I didnt actually disconnect from wifi, so I guess it would have retained 2.9, so now need to power off everything and repeat previous exercise, I guess.
Yes. Take everything down completely. Then restart in the order listed.

So, any thoughts why ZB is not showing on DHCP list?

No idea, unless the ZB too wasn't fully power-cycled.

Does it matter?

Yes, the DHCP server could unknowingly assign the same IP to another device.

Maybe it's because the router still sees it as 2.2, and thus outside of DHCP range?

It wouldn't, so long as the system has been clean-booted. The ZB has to use DHCP.

And should the Sonos controller show on the DHCP list?

Yes.
Just a thought... did you restart the CR200?

Cheers,

Keith
Just a thought... did you restart the CR200?

No, I overlooked that, but have now done it.

Here's where I am now. I have now powered off everything, and restarted in appropriate recommended order. All looks good, with all Sonos components on DHCP client list for first time ever!
All devices (Sonos & other) have different IP addresses, so hopefully all will be well.

BUT - my laptop and home pc do not show on the DHCP list. I know they have different IP addresses to all other items, as I used ipconfig/all to identify the addresses. All are within the (adjusted) DHCP range, but even if I refresh the DHCP list, and close/re-open the router window, they are still not there.

any thoughts, please?
PS. but they still work ok with a net connection.

PS again - I rebooted both the laptop & the home pc, and guess what - I can now see laptop on DHCP list - although with a different IP address to what it had a few minutes ago. The home pc is still not visible!?
If stations are not appearing in the DHCP client table, either they haven't requested an IP or the router is not faithfully updating the client table display.

Try an IPCONFIG /RENEW on the missing PC(s).
Just to say thanks, all now seems to be fine, and I have sonos working on the iPad as well.
Userlevel 2
Here's a trick I always use for this sort of problem.

Routers can assign up to 254 addresses, so I split the range into bands.

All units that I want to have a fixed IP I assign from 253 downwards (254 is sometimes used as a default by Routers).
All items with DHCP router assigned are from 1 upwards, with an upper limit of 200.
Although all the Sonos components were visible on the DHCP list, and all looked fine, I now see that again only the ZB is showing (plus pc, laptop etc). Is this right that I have now lost all the other components? that said, it seems to be working ok, but......

My Vodafone Suresignal device failed to show on the DHCP list, and was not working, so I rebooted it, and it made connectiion with my phone ok. But then both the pc & laptop started dropping connection occassionally - which hadnt happened whilst the Suresignal was not connected.
It makes me wonder if the Suresignal has caused the other Sonos devices to fall off the DHCP list. I haven't yet noted any fall out on Sonos, but then I have hardly used it in the last few days.
My original probelm was that I was getting IP address conflicts, evident from the fact that DHCP wasn't seeing the Sonos devices - pretty much the same as now methinks.
Any ideas anyone?
Assuming you checked that the router has sufficient IP addresses in its DHCP pool for all your devices, it may simply be that the router is not displaying things correctly. I confess I'm not much of a fan of Belkin.

You can try out this handy tool to see what stations on your network are alive: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

It says it's for wireless but it seems to locate all stations -- wired or wireless -- however one's own computer is connected.
Badge
I just had an issue with my Vonage phone router that I have had for 7 years. Over the weekend, Vonage started assigning IP addresses to pc's and my Sonos system. I had been trying to set up a NAS and Vonage assigned it a funky IP address. I had to get a tech guy here and we were completely stumped until he figured out that some other equipment was handing out IP addresses. He went into the software for Vonage and turned off the feature that allowed it act as DHCP and everything worked smoothly after that. I have no idea how this happened.
I just had an issue with my Vonage phone router that I have had for 7 years. Over the weekend, Vonage started assigning IP addresses to pc's and my Sonos system. I had been trying to set up a NAS and Vonage assigned it a funky IP address. I had to get a tech guy here and we were completely stumped until he figured out that some other equipment was handing out IP addresses. He went into the software for Vonage and turned off the feature that allowed it act as DHCP and everything worked smoothly after that. I have no idea how this happened.
It sounds like you had two DHCP servers on your network. This is unlikely to have been an issue with the Vonage router itself. Did you add some new piece of equipment to your network, such as a Wireless Access Point?
Badge
The Vonage router started acting as a DHCP server in addition to my Netgear router. That is what caused the problem. Both of them were trying to hand out IP addresses. I was adding a NAS and it acquired an address from the Vonage router. Once we shut down the DHCP capabilities of the Vonage router, all was well. We just don't know what changed to cause the Vonage router to assign IP addresses.
anappy,

I'm not a Vonage user, but the Vonage installation instructions seem to instruct the user to place the Vonage box ahead of other routers. In this position, there is no harm in leaving the Vonage DHCP server running. My read is that by placing their box first, one is less likely to have issues with the Vonage service and they can blame issues on other equipment and minimize their own support costs. I can imagine that Vonage downloaded a software update that arrogantly enabled the DHCP server.
Badge
Perhaps you are right about a software update; that would explain the sudden change in behavior. I have had 2 Vonage routers in the same setup for years with no issues.
I just had a few hours of messing around as my sonos connect amp started having connection problems. I even reset it and reconfigured it. I managed to get everything working again except access to additional services (spotify, bandcamp & soundcloud). These failed to show in the available services list. As a last resort I connected the sonos connect amp direct to the router, it was then that I noticed that it was re-using IP addresses, that had been bound to other servers. So I bound the sonos MAC to the IP address it was trying to use and hey presto the connectivity problems were solved. I then configured the sonos to use my WIFI (Settings Advanced...), then guess what it started using a different unallocated IP address. So I've now bound this IP to the sonos MAC, and I'm now back working. There is definitely something very iffy with the IP stack the sonos is using, My sonos connect mac is pretty old (5 years maybe) Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1 but is on software Version: 7.4 (build 37244160).

My tip is if you are having connectivity issues, and ip conflicts, figure out what the sonos components are trying to use and configure that in your router.

Last tip: check your router logs.