Ios Iphone 8 can not setup Sonos Arc

• 2 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Relying on Apps to setup external devices always seems like a crap shoot to be honest

I have an iPhone 8 running 14.7.1 and the Sonos 2 App.  My home is hard wired with a router->switch->second switch→Sonos Arc.  

In trying to setup the Sonos Arc, the iphone App identifies the product and I select Add.  Unfortunately after a few minutes I get the following:

I’ve unplugged the Sonos a few times. I’ve restarted the App a few times as well, and that’s as far as I get.  Within my router settings, I can confirm the Sonos has received an IP address from the wired ethernet:

Honestly really frustrated.  I thought this stuff just worked.  What a pain in the A**!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Art there any other SONOS units on the network? Is this the initial setup for this ARC?

To answer your question directly there are no other SONOS on the network -- in fact this is the first SONOS product I own.  This is the initial ARC setup.  Thanks for your help.

Likely, this is a network issue. Give us more detail. What model router and switches. Are you using any special setup, such as VLAN? Can you PING ARC from your iPhone?

Hi - thanks for reply.  Router is a custom made protectli device which I’ve virtualized pfsense within the xcp-ng hypervisor.  pfsense is version 2.4.5. Switches are Unifi switches specifically a USW 24 10Gb Pro Switch and Unifi 16 POE 15 Watt switch.  The network is segmented into VLANs with the port profile set to VLAN 30.  I have multiple VLANs on the network and all are broadcast through my Unifi AC Pro Access Points.  Because the TV/Sonos Arc are on VLAN 30 (set via the port setting on the switch), I joined my phone to the VLAN 30 wireless network to try to complete setup.  Firewall rules are setup for this VLAN that there is no access from the VLAN 30 network to the VLAN 1 network due to all the “phone home” activities these IoT devices typically participate in.  Any device on VLAN1 however can reach devices on VLAN30.  I can ping the Sonos arc from either the iPhone or any computer on VLAN1.  I’ve verified that the Sonos Arc has indeed been assigned an IP address within VLAN 30 through looking at the DHCP lease table within pfSense. 

Not too much of an issue for a single single SONOS unit, but if you add units, be mindful that SONOS uses STP, not RSTP (the usual Ubiquiti default).

And check your ports configuration.

but if you add units, be mindful that SONOS uses STP, not RSTP (the usual Ubiquiti default).

Can I change RSTP->STP on a per port basis -- meaning the Unifi Switch ports that connect Unifi Products -- can I just change the protocol on each port?

As I recall, this is port by port, but this must be all ports in the path from SONOS unit to SONOS unit. However, this is not a major issue at the moment because you have a single SONOS unit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @kevdog

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re still having a problem getting your Arc set up, please try the following:

• Click the Settings tab on the left sidebar

• If the user is using the "New User Interface" (new UI), the user have to switch first to the "Classic View" in order to see more settings. The user is using the new UI, when the banner "Not seeing everything? Go to Classic Settings" is offered on the top of the page. Click on the link "Classic Settings" to switch to the Classic Settings, otherwise continue.

• Click Wireless Networks under the Settings page

• Click Edit next to the network SSID

• Verify Guest Policy and disable it if enabled.

• Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.

• Verify and disable the options Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data and Auto-Optimize Network. 

• Once completed, allow up to a minute for the AP to provision (apply the settings) and restore online connection, then proceed to the connection or setup of the Sonos system.

I hope this helps.