Question

IOS Devices not visible to one another

• 10 February 2017
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos system working well in my house (boost + four speakers). I run the main music library from my Mac, with some music on my iPhone or my iPad. I can control the system from any device. However, my iPad is not visible on my iPhone Sonos App as a source of music, nor does the iPhone appear on my iPad. I was under the impression that all IOS devices should be visible to each other if they are on the same network. Mine aren't. What am I doing wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Thanks very much.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello

Welcome to the Sonos Community,

You can control your Sonos system with multiple device and play music from them.
You can play music from most internet sources like Pandora, once you select that source you can shut off your device as the speakers get the music from the source direct.
You can play music stored on a device and control it on that device only.
You can have music stored on a local computer or NAS and play you own music and control it with any device. (A NAS is the best way to do this.)
You cannot "see" of control music on another device from another device, they are only remote controls.

Hope this helps
All controllers can play all available sources with one exception - music stored on a mobile device (phone, tablet) can only be played from the controller on that device. Once the music is playing some control is possible from other controllers, e.g. volume, play/pause and skip. But you cannot view the music stored on the mobile device or select it to play. I imagine that would be technically difficult to achieve, and I'm not sure I would want it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
I was under the impression that all IOS devices should be visible to each other if they are on the same network. Mine aren't. What am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, just your impression is.