Question

iOS app loses connection

• 15 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Getting a can't connect to Sonos message repeatedly. Turning wifi off and on again on iPad normally resolves the issues. Using a BT Home Hub 6 with a Bt Mini Wifi home hotspot extender. Any suggestion?

8 replies

Badge +1
Are you sure that when you get the error message that you are connected to your home network and not BT open zone or wifi or whatever it's know as now?
If the iPad has a cellular connection, disable WiFi Assist.
Ratty, it's Wifi only iPad so WiFi assist is not an option.

Paulrich, I guess it could be switching networks, but whenever I check I'm connect to the home network not the open zone..... networks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Your router may have a 5 GHz network using the same name as the 2.4 GHz network that Sonos connects to. iDevices can connect to either and if your iPad connects to the 5 GHz network and the router doesn't pass the traffic over to the 2.4 GHz network you will get an issue.

Get into your router via PC or Mac and change the 5 GHz network name so it is different to the 2.4 GHz (not sure if you need to change the password)
BT Hub6 doesn't block discovery from the 5GHz segment.

The extender works over powerline, so anything's possible if the iPad's connected to that.
SONOS support say using a wifi extender is not supported 😞. and use a boost configuration instead
Going back to the original post on this thread. I just posted about this issue on the "Sonos & BT Smart Hub" thread as I am totally fed up with this now.

I also thought it was an extender causing the problem for a while but it's not. The BT Smart Hub / HH6 doesn't seem to work properly with Sonos.

Something that really made me laugh recently was that BT were offering the chance to win a Sonos system as an incentive to get people to upgrade to the BT Smart Hub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Going back to the original post on this thread. I just posted about this issue on the "Sonos & BT Smart Hub" thread as I am totally fed up with this now.

I also thought it was an extender causing the problem for a while but it's not. The BT Smart Hub / HH6 doesn't seem to work properly with Sonos.

Something that really made me laugh recently was that BT were offering the chance to win a Sonos system as an incentive to get people to upgrade to the BT Smart Hub.

Have you tried a replacement HH6? Mine works flawlessly with my Sonos system