Answered

Internet drops out intermittently when I connect my Play:5

• 2 August 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I have a Play:5 and an Asus RT-AC66U B1 router setup. It has worked fine for years, but recently the internet keeps dropping out after a short while, and the connection does not return back until hours later or I hard reset the router (and Play:5). Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem? I have also tried disabling Airtime Fairness as suggested by this support page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3668?language=en_US

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Kyle A 3 August 2020, 20:14

Hi @K Y, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, the Sonos app wasn’t connected to the Sonos system.

When I checked the household the app is assigned to; I can see the Play:5 active in our server.

Let’s double-check the Asus RT router for Airtime Fairness; maybe the changes weren’t applied.

If you have trouble logging in to your router, you can contact Asus for assistance.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @K Y, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

The internet cutting out when the Play:5 is connected is not normal and shouldn’t be the case.

The Play:5 is simply connecting to the router and using the network like any other wireless device.

Also, turning off Airtime Fairness on RT-series routers is necessary; if it has this setting. 

Please take a diagnostic of the system in the Sonos app; so we can take a look. Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and reply with the confirmation.

Hi @Kyle A,

Thank you for the quick reply. I just performed the diagnostic with the confirmation number 309602499 (I submitted a second time by mistake). I just noticed that it may also be a problem with my router as the internet drops without the speaker connection (although it may be more stable as compared to being connected to the speaker).

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I checked the diagnostic, the Sonos app wasn’t connected to the Sonos system.

When I checked the household the app is assigned to; I can see the Play:5 active in our server.

Let’s double-check the Asus RT router for Airtime Fairness; maybe the changes weren’t applied.

If you have trouble logging in to your router, you can contact Asus for assistance.

Hi @Kyle A,

I have repeated the steps to reset the router and disable Airtime Fairness. With and without the speaker connected, the internet connection dropped again. Given that it is unlikely to be a problem with the SONOS system, do you think that it might be a problem with the router? I contacted Asus and they suggested that if I have troubleshot the router by resetting it, updating the firmware, etc. it might be a hardware issue. I just want to be sure before buying a new router.

Thanks for your help again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Yes, it would be better to consult with Asus as the router is clearly having issues.

They’ll decide if the router needs a replacement; as they can check the router further.