Question

Intermittent playback issue

• 4 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Hello there,

I have two Play 1's, connecting over WiFi. I have intermittent issues with playback on TuneIn Radio, Mixcloud and MP3 from my DiskStation NAS.

The radio will cutout and then resume, cutout, resume...
Mixcloud can stop playing and then resume with another mix in my favourites
NAS can stop and then say "playback error"

It makes me think it's the router / WiFi signal, but then some days I can play the radio all day without issue and Mixcloud can be flawless.

I've looked at the WiFi channel, but because the error is so intermittent it's hard to diagnose. I see on other threads that you're able to spot clues from a diagnostic report. So having just experienced issues with TuneIn Radio I have submitted a diagnostic report, ref: 6713483

Would you be able to take a look for me and see if you can spot the problem?

Many thanks,

Mat

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will be able to review that and get back to you.

Couple things - make sure that you have no cordless phones other wifi devices within about 3 ft. of Sonos units.

How far from your router to each of the Sonos units?

Have you used a wifi sniffer like this https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wifi-analyzer-acrylic-professional/download-wifi-analyzer-windows/ to see the wifi networks around you to make sure your using the most clear wifi channel on your router (sometimes neighbors can be interfering on the same channel and you don't realize). Always stick to channels 1, 6, or 11 on your wifi router.
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the reply. The router is at the front of the house, the first Play1 is about 8m away in the middle of the house and the second Play1 is a further 4m at the back of the house.

I always thought the Play's created their own network and so the second device would be getting a network signal from the first. However I've just read that this Sonos network is only created when you have a play connected via an ethernet cable. If that's true perhaps I'll invest in another device to put in the lounge with the router... I've been considering this, but have held back due to the intermittent issues I've got with these two devices.

I haven't got a Windows laptop, only a desktop. But I did just Google scanning networks with my iPhone and found that you can use the AirPort Utility to scan networks, which tells me my 2.4 Ghz network is on channel 11, the 5 Ghz network is on channel 44. My neighbours networks are on channels 1, 6 and 9.

Cheers,
Mat
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Mat, welcome to the community and thanks for getting back to us. Chris has already hit the nail on the head. The issues you are encountering are related to WiFi interference, due to another network broadcasting on Channel 9, which is overlapping with your router, on channel 11. You may wish to follow the advice of wiring a component to the router, or changing your router's channel to a less congested one. Channel 1 or 6 will do. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your neighbors are all over you. I would set my home wifi to the 1,6, or 11 that has the least strong signal from neighbor. If still have issue then yea I would try sonosnet on the second least powerful from your neighbor (would need to add a Sonos unit at the router then as you had seen).
Thank you for the replies...

I've plugged a Sonos 1 into the router and initial signs are promising. It will need a week or two to be sure, but so far so good.

I've also set the 2.4Ghz channel to 1, so will see if that makes a difference to my wireless connectivity - now I think about it, it is sometimes sketchy on my iPhone but I tend to use the 5Ghz wireless for that.

Cheers,
Mat