Question

Intermittent issues over a range of Music Services and errors.

• 14 January 2017
  • 1 reply

Hi I have a Play:1 in another room in the house. This room is away from the main Internet Router, so I created a a WiFi extender with an old Netgear Router which connects via TP Link 500Mbps plug range extender. All my music is on an Apple Time Capsule connected to Main Router. Music services are Spotify, Amazon and Tune In Radio.

I have a Play:5 linked to the main router via wifi (this works fine with rarely an issue)

Since I have had the Play:1 I think I've had all of the common errors -

001 Queue
Connection with *music service* lost
song not encoded correctly
insufficient speed play back buffer.

It will work fine for a while then all of a sudden started playing up. I have change the wireless channels moved the router and the Play:1 away from each other and all the other problems, with limited success. I have submitted a Diagnostics report - 6998317 in the hope of some clarity for the issue.

I aware its probably the Wifi extending router and Plug range extender that causing the problem but I'd like Sonos to confirm it and suggest any alternatives. Unfortunately the main router in my house is in the 1st floor front bedroom because thats were the master phone socket is ( strangely!) and it will cost too much for BT to swap. The Wifi from this will not stretch to where the Play:1 is on the ground floor rear of the house (Firstworldproblems!) any help would be super!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I have a Play:1 in another room in the house. This room is away from the main Internet Router, so I created a a WiFi extender with an old Netgear Router which connects via TP Link 500Mbps plug range extender. All my music is on an Apple Time Capsule connected to Main Router. Music services are Spotify, Amazon and Tune In Radio.

I have a Play:5 linked to the main router via wifi (this works fine with rarely an issue)

Since I have had the Play:1 I think I've had all of the common errors -

001 Queue
Connection with *music service* lost
song not encoded correctly
insufficient speed play back buffer.

It will work fine for a while then all of a sudden started playing up. I have change the wireless channels moved the router and the Play:1 away from each other and all the other problems, with limited success. I have submitted a Diagnostics report - 6998317 in the hope of some clarity for the issue.

I aware its probably the Wifi extending router and Plug range extender that causing the problem but I'd like Sonos to confirm it and suggest any alternatives. Unfortunately the main router in my house is in the 1st floor front bedroom because thats were the master phone socket is ( strangely!) and it will cost too much for BT to swap. The Wifi from this will not stretch to where the Play:1 is on the ground floor rear of the house (Firstworldproblems!) any help would be super!

Hi Kjocallaghan,

There's some wireless interference showing up from a nearby extended network on the same channel as your main wireless network. This is causing your Sonos speakers to lose connection from time to time. This likely explains the errors you've been getting. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 and see if things improve.