Answered

intermittent connection and control problems most noticeable with Spotify

• 12 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Can see speakers but sometimes can't connect to some, not always the same speakers. If connected, control is intermittent, such as next track stops working for 10 minutes or so, then does. Grouping listed speakers works sometimes, doesn't other times, some will add to group some won't, different speakers at different times. Sometimes no problem, sometimes shows as grouped and then will ungroup. Volume control sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Playback sometimes just stops, sometimes jumps to next track. Problems seen in both Sonos app and Spotify. I'm on 100MB broadband connection. Using S1 app, with obsoleted play 5, and a playbar (with Ethernet cable) and play 3 that managed to survive the cull. Issues becoming progressively worse, started just over a year ago when Sonos started pressing me to brick and buy again.

icon

Best answer by ovemalmqvist 6 January 2021, 22:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I got help from Sonos support and i had to change the master of my groupie from Play5 to Play1. The memory in Play5 was too small. 

I have almost the same issues. When listening the Play5 (gen1) stops playing for 3-4 seconds but the Play1 don’t. 
Are isinformation S1 cause my Play5 is not supported on S2. 

Autocorrect: isinformation = using 

How are your devices connected?  If they are using WiFi then perhaps just try another 2.4 GHz WiFi channel on the main router.  I suggest using channel 1, 6, or 11 as they are non-overlapping.

I would also set any additional WiFi access points (if using) to the same SSID/Password credentials and channels as the main router.

You can maybe also consider wiring one sonos device to the main router, which switches the Sonos system to a SonosNet connection between all products, but make sure the SonosNet channel in 'Settings/System/Network' in the Sonos App is then set at least 5 channels away from the selected router 2.4ghz WiFi channel.

See if that resolves all the device connection/dropout issues.

Thanks. Currently with Virgin so I have the 'smart' hub which selects best channel and either 5 and 2 GHz depending on device requirements. I'll try disabling the feature and working through your suggestions. Fingers crossed.

Yes I have one of their Superhubs too (the older v2) - just for info I set my primary 2.4ghz Wifi band to channel 1 and the primary 5ghz band to 36 & 44 and run SonosNet on channel 11. All guest WiFi networks are switched off. I’ve also switched off the VM public network broadcast within my VM account online - those settings all work well in our home, but see how things go for you.

I also have many of my Sonos device IP addresses stored in the routers DHCP Reservation table as I find that assists when rebooting the entire network, following updates etc.

Hope that helps too, but you may want to try different WiFi/SonosNet channels just to see what works best in your home, just keep the 2.4ghz channels well apart using 1, 6 or channel 11.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. Currently with Virgin so I have the 'smart' hub which selects best channel and either 5 and 2 GHz depending on device requirements. I'll try disabling the feature and working through your suggestions. Fingers crossed.