Intermittent chirping/squeeking sound on all my Sonos speaker (at the same time) (S1 System)

• 26 December 2020
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1

Not sure when it started exactly but I get this chirping/squeaking sound on all my Sonos speakers (Combination of S1’s and one S5 and a playpar.).    I’m on S1 and do not intend to upgrade in case that should be the solution to this problem.  

Submitted Diagnostic Information here:  Confirmation number is: 1740163293.

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Cloridrix.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks fort reaching out to us and for submitting a diagnostic. Allow me to share some information to help out.

Based on the submitted diagnostic, It shows that you are using Google’s mesh system  and still have the Sonos Bridge connected via ethernet cable. Allow me to share some information and recommendations to help out.

I would like to recommend try to remove the Sonos Bridge out of the equation and replace it with your Sonos Play 1. Once done, try to observe if the issue persists. I would also like to share some information regarding mesh system for Sonos to work seamlessly.

I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference (the main objective is to disable the mesh from generating their own IP-address).

• Have each access point have their own unique Wi-Fi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic in this community that discusses multiple routers. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response.  Regarding your advice:  “Remove the Sonos Bridge out of the equation and replace it with your Sonos Play 1.”  I was not entirely sure which steps  you wanted me to follow to replace the Bridge with the Sonos Play 1, why it has to be the Play 1 and not my Play 5 or Soundbar and if it could be any Play 1. 

In any case - I disconnected the Sonos Bridge. After that I tried to rename the Google Wifi routers.  But they were not connected any longer.  I had to go through an entire factory reset of all access points. After all set and done and I reset my Network, I used an Ethernet cable to connect the S1 to my Netgear switch.  The S1 was discovered and I was able to reconnect all my Sonos players. So far I have not head of any chirping sounds and the Wifi signal seems to be stronger from the access points as well. So that’s all great!

I didn’t play around with other network settings at this point.  I hope that everything is working from now on.

I submitted another diagnostic report under: 1375325843. 

Would you mind checking that one to see if there is anything that is not configured correctly?

Thanks for any help!

Badge

Are you using YouTube Music service by any chance? If so, I submitted a ticket with audio sample of the chirp. I’ve been dealing with the issue for a while now since Google Play moved to YouTube service.
I don’t have the issue while listening with a browser. Only via Sonos. My take on it is the API. In a nutshell, here is the issue:

Ticket number submitted to support: 02729032

New Recording.m4a (audio sample from Move):

- Paired : Dining Room - Play 5 and Move
- chirping : Between - 2m56s and 3m00s

New Recording 5.m4a (audio sample from Bathroom Play 1):

- Paired : Dining Room(Play 5), Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bedroom(Play 1), Bathroom(Play 1), Move
- chirping : Between - 4m20s and 4m30s

Userlevel 1

Interesting. Yes, I do use YouTube Music services.   

Incredible that you have the patience to record the sessions to capture the chirping.

I cannot access the recording though.  Is there a way you can share them somehow?  Would like to know if I hear the same thing.

Best!  

Badge

@Cloridrix

Here is a link to my OneDrive for the file samples. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkWKNR34JFKT11oiV3p8aOKiJG2X?e=0tVASn 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for sharing. Interesting - it’s audible but it sounds a bit different then in my case.  Maybe not but this is how it sound on my set-up.  (Went thorugh the effor of downloading, editing and uploading it to YouTube.  Evidence is key here I think :-)

Badge

@Cloridrix the chirp sound is the same as my problem in your audio file. I should have shrunk the mp4 files to make easier to find, but with the timeline specified in my text file, you should be able to ear the same sound. 

Userlevel 1

It’s probably the same - I did hear the sound in your recording. On first listen it sounds slightly different. 

So you think it’s YouTube Music that does that?  you don’t experience this with any other services? 

Badge

Yes, it seems to be a combination of YTM and Sonos. If I listen to YTM on the iPhone app or a web browser, I don’t have the issue. Also, if I listen to Spotify or Sonos Radio from my Sonos, I don’t have the issue.

I spent about an our with phone support last night and they are elevating the ticket to the next level. 

Userlevel 1

awesome.  i have a meeting with them on Monday.  hope that increased awareness of this problem will help to prioritize this for them!

Badge

@Cloridrix any update on your side? Still troubleshooting with support without any luck. I will have to reproduce some sample files. Being bounce around with support.

I also have this exact same issue and I also use YouTube music - I have heard it across all four of my Sonos speakers only when playing music. I submitted diagnostics and they were not able to see anything, and made me record a video of the problem, at which point they said they would ship me replacements speakers, and then one day later emailed me again to say that they would not do that as I was out of warranty and instead to use their upgrade program to upgrade my speakers!!! Really disappointed in the Sonos response - it is clearly not a hardware issue. See my video here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNiUP8AtTLID50DYHI7qQA7bzPsa6CtRA5GIb7Uscu_Hk2J-c9ZzJOrrlNPibtzvg/photo/AF1QipNNJO_LkIev0cAX71PHny2lgNTdjxhTINcKrcA8?key=VWlvd2JOWXQ5dlloT01aZHpWOE5ySDNtaml4Nk53

Badge

Hi Stuart,

I have a ticket open with Sonos and I am working with tier 2 now. The tier 2 support engineer notice in the diagnostic a change in the bitrate.

I’m now closely listening to music and trying to capture another chirp. The plan is to submit the diagnostic right away after the issue happens so that the support engineer can verify if the bitrate has changed.

Have you notice any network latency issue on your side? Do you have a good Internet connection?

I use the soundbar only and the chirping is annoying during tv transmissions 

Anything new here?  I'm having the same issue.  Same chirp and sometimes scratching sound streaming YouTube Music.  Happens on all speakers (several models).  Haven't tried other streaming services, but seems fine watch TV using Beam and Arc.

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue. I use YouTube Music and the issue started awhile back. It is pretty frustrating. I don’t have any updates that I can do. It happens intermittently on all of my devices (Soundbar, Play-1 x3). 

Does not happen with other services, or when I am listening to YouTube on my PC/Phone.

Any updates or changes or suggestions to fix this issue?

Edit: I know for sure it happens when my Soundbar is in the mix -- I will try to test it without the Soundbar to see if that still happens.

I’m experiencing the same problem - it just began a few days ago. I’m also using YT Music. Hoping there will be a solution posted here soon...

Hi all,

I am having the same issues as everyone above. YouTube music on my Sonos Playbar and Sonos:5, both setup in different rooms. Any help would be appreciated. 

What did Sonos suggest when you submitted a diagnostic from the controller, and contacted them?

I would like to “chime” in with a bit of insight that might help. I have the exact same issue, YouTube Music creates an intermittent chirp sound only on Sonos products, the Sonos products; however, do not chirp on any other audio. But I think what no one else has mentioned is that when streaming other services, there IS an intermittent audio drop that seems about as frequent as the chirp. When streaming Sonos Radio HD, I hear a not-as-noticeable audio lag happen every now and then, and my hypothesis is that the same interference that causes the audio drop/lag is what causes the chirp in YT Music; perhaps YT Music just doesn’t handle the interference as well as the other services? The dropouts are also not noticed quite as frequently, so I assume some occurrences are caught by error-correction and swept under the rug in time. 

The only audio source I have not heard this drop-out from is TV audio via Optical cable to my Playbar, and the paired Play1 Rears and Sub (1st gen) do not chirp or dropout using TV audio either. But any music streaming seems to encounter a random drop, which manifests as a chirp on YT Music. 

I have switched from hardline/Sonos-Mesh setup (Playbar plugged into ethernet, everything else wireless to the Sonos mesh) to a pure wireless setup with no change in behavior, and I have tried changing wifi channels systemwide with even full factory resets when needed, still with no change. I have also done my best eliminating other wifi devices that may be causing interference, but this process is admittedly inconclusive, since I can’t account for everything. I assume it is still getting interference, but the actual problem has more to do with Sonos devices’ abilities to handle the interference (not to pass the buck or anything). 

I hope this helps, and I REALLY hope this is resolved soon, since it has been extremely annoying and so far has been the single solitary downside that I have ever experienced with my Sonos system. Every other aspect of my experience has been flawless (as far as technology can be) so I really want to go back to living the sweet sweet Sonos life without being jolted into “this freakin’ speaker!” mode several times a day. 

Here’s a weird thing I appeared to be getting an inductive squeal feed back from one PowerPoint to which the speaker squealing was plugged into. After swapping power points the noise disappeared. I now need to investigate the wiring. Maybe the power point is being effected by a light rectifier or something similar that is causing a transient to be coupled onto the wiring?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m getting a loud “chirp” in my 5s when steaming through my ROKU Ultra. The kind of chirp that can make one jump and go “what the hell was that?” I can understand an occasional audio drop streaming via WiFi (there’s another chirp but not nearly as loud.) but, why now? This is something that’s only manifested in the past two+ weeks. Is Tech Support looking into a software update? 

Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting one of these ‘chirps’, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

I don’t think it’s a common issue, it is entirely possible they’re coming from somewhere other than the connection of your Sonos to the TV. Likely the data in the diagnostic might help figure it out. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks, Bruce. No, I haven’t submitted a diagnostic. Good to know that it should be run and submitted within 10 of an incident. I’ll do that the next time the speaker chirps at me.

If you’d be so kind as to come back and post what you find out, I’d certainly be fascinated.