Question

Insufficient buffer to play from laptop

• 30 September 2016
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I'm trying to stream FLAC and 16/44 files from my laptop. It works occasionally, but mostly I get an insufficient network speed unable to buffer and won't have lay the tracks. I've tried changing the sonos net channel to both 1 and 11 to no avail. I've tried closing other programmes down on the pc, but this has no effect. In any case, in my previous set up J river media player would stream into my amp even if someone was gaming on the pc. I'm wondering if it's because my laptop is not on sonosnet? How do I attach it, assuming it's even possible.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

You have correctly identified that the most likely weak link is getting the music to your router, which uses your home wifi, not SonosNet. Changing your router channel, making sure it is not set to Auto, and not the same as Sonos wireless channel, might help. You should try Ethernetting the laptop to the router, if only as an experiment to confirm the diagnosis. You cannot connect your laptop to SonosNet.

The best solution would be a NAS wired to your router, instead of the laptop, as your music store.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I've already set sonosnet to ch1, the router to 11 and 48 for the 2.4 and 5GHz channels respectively. I'll try the ethernet but guessed I'd need a dedicated nas
OK but 11 might not be the optimal channel depending on wireless environment. Might be worth experimenting.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I can't try connecting laptop direct, no ethernet socket on laptop
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you used a wifi analyser type program to see the optimal of the 3 channels. You could always have recently gotten a neighbor that is blasting one channel out.

here is an example free one https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Any recommendations for a reliable NAS device? 2Tb is all I need at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just get a cheap seagate or such
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Cheap is a subjective term. I didn't expect to pay over £100
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
eBay used or

Raspberry pie http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968
Or WD My Cloud
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I'm a bit confused, some devices described as 2 bay or 4 bay but no hard drive. Presumably, that's just the operating shell? I want a 1Tb HDD type device, ie flash memory not old school hard drives
I'm a bit confused, some devices described as 2 bay or 4 bay but no hard drive.
That's if you want an à la carte approach. You source the drives yourself, and configure them with whatever RAID type you want. What's being suggested here is a simple 1-disk NAS, pre-configured and ready to go.

I want a 1Tb HDD type device, ie flash memory not old school hard drives

A contradiction in terms. HDD is "hard disk drive". You mean SSD -- "solid-state drive". A 1TB SSD would set you back a pretty penny, and would be totally unnecessary in terms of performance requirements for music. A basic 1TB (or even 2TB) single-HDD NAS is not that expensive.

Alternatively, if your router supports it, you could consider plugging in a USB drive. USB HDDs may not be power-managed by the router though, and so keep spinning all the time. (A NAS will often spin a HDD down when idle.) You could however consider a large USB flash drive if that takes your fancy. Data transfer performance with a router-based USB drive will often be uninspiring, but perfectly adequate for music streaming.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Yes I did mean solid state, just had a senior moment. So, I could, assuming the router is compatible, plug in a USB 3.0 flash drive or memory stick and that would also work? The router is a BT hub5
Well, apart from the fact that Hub5 is not the greatest of routers, yes you can plug in a USB stick. I'm pretty sure it's USB 2.0 on the Hub5, but a USB 3.0 stick would allow for faster loading direct from a PC.

How much storage would you need? Things tend to get pretty pricey above 256GB for a decent USB 3.0 flash drive.