Answered

Inherited some kit - cant make it work!

• 26 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi - just moved house and inherited kit but can’t get it working. Rooms have ceiling speakers which are connected to QED pre-amp/powered amps. Then there’s an Onkyo receiver (which I didn’t want to use so thought I didn’t need) and a Sonos Connect. Previous owner showed me she used Sonos s2 app to play music thru ceiling speakers in one room or multi room. But everything got unplugged when she moved. So am struggling to know how to reconnect. Sonos now registered to me and app connected to my Amazon music. Haven’t yet been able to connect/pair onkyo with Sonos connect. Have tried connecting Sonos to QED directly using rca cables as per Sonos support but nothing plays thru ceiling speakers. So now think I need onkyo involved? Would onkyo need to connect to QED via wall sockets then to Sonos via Bluetooth? Losing the plot now!!!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 August 2022, 22:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Too many simultaneous things.

In general, any connection from the analog output of a Sonos CONNECT would need to go to either a line level input on the Onkyo (pretty much any input other than “phono”) or to an analog input on the QED Amp. The Sonos CONNECT only puts out a line level output.

On the other hand, the Sonos CONNECT:AMP, which is an entirely separate beast, and has speaker posts on it, doesn’t need to connect to any input, and any normal 8 ohm passive speakers would connect to those posts. 

Might be helpful to know how things are wired, and specific model numbers for the QED speakers, pre-amp and amps, as well as the Onkyo. Or even if you were to post links to the respective user manuals, to save the folks in this forum the extra step of needing to google them up themselves. 

And please tell us how it’s currently wired. What goes from where to where. Use paragraphs to make it slightly easier to read, too. 

Thanks Bruce - with a fresh start this morning I will look at it all again and try to post something with the detail needed and in paragraphs!