Incremental volume control (tap slider) not working any more

• 19 February 2021
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Using Sonos S2 app on Android 10.

I used to be able to tap the volume slider either side of the marker and it would adjust the volume a small amount each time. This no longer works, has this feature been removed or is it just me?

Also when I have speakers grouped, if I want to adjust the volume of only one of the speakers in the group, I can no longer tap the volume marker, get a pop up and then adjust the individual speaker - I have to drag the slider to get the pop up - which is a pain as it adjusts the volume of all the speakers at first so I can access an individual.

Tried uninstalling and reinstall with no luck.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Hi. Also running Android 10 and all still fine for me. I suggest you first try just power cycling your speakers. Probably just a comms glitch.

I have exactly the same problem. An interesting fact of the matter is, that this affects only my phone. With my wife's phone this function still works. I think this rules out power cycling the speakers as a possible solution. I also reset the app a couple of times, cleared the cache and app data and finally completely reinstalled the app. Obviously without any success. The sonos support did not bother to reply my request for information.

Hi. This is still working fine for me. 

Whatever you think about the pointlessness of rebooting the speakers, I would reboot the speakers. I'm not saying that I am confident it will work, but it should be tried.

Edit: "forgetting" the WiFi network in your phone's settings and power cycling your phone is also worth a try.

Hi, I'm happy to hear, that this nice function is still working for you. Yet, I'm wondering if it really only is hodgeal and myself who happen to have this problem.

Btw power cycling the phone through recovery mode with wiping the cache on the way did not recover the incremental volume setting. The app still doesn't react to a tap to the volume bar.

It also is the fact that the app on the phone does not show any reaction to a tap, which makes me doubt, that power cycling the speakers could change anything. From my perception it's a problem of the app. It maybe have to do with an update of the phone's Android system. I can't remember exactly when this function stopped working on my phone and if there was an update.

I wish you well in resolving your problem. My experience on here has been that an app or system problem affecting even a tiny proportion of users results in hundreds of posts very quickly. 

Yes, that's my experience too. And therefore I'm really wondering if this weird effect really is an isolated one on only two phones worldwide... :)

Yes, that's my experience too. And therefore I'm really wondering if this weird effect really is an isolated one on only two phones worldwide... :)

We await evidence to the contrary!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As already suggested, you could try rebooting your speakers? 

I'll try rebooting my speakers although I'm still convinced that this will not solve the issue.

In order to change the volume of grouped speakers I could tap the dot on the volume bar to open the volume settings window for the single speakers in the group. This is a feature of the app alone. For this no interaction with the speakers is required. That this function is not working anymore is a clear indication that the app is not working as expected. It seems to be a user interface problem...

ok then, I followed the advice to power cycle all my speakers and the phone. Unfortunately my expectations were met. The nice tap function to incrementally change the volume is dead...

ok then, I followed the advice to power cycle all my speakers and the phone. Unfortunately my expectations were met. The nice tap function to incrementally change the volume is dead...

That’s a shame - thanks for trying.  I can only suggest you call Sonos Support, as this doesn’t appear to be a problem currently experienced by anyone else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Running Android 10 on my work phone and just tried this function. I never knew it was a thing!

Anyway it works fine.  Maybe this is model specific?

Badge +17

Hey @hodgeal and @Stefan Schober,

I’ve tested this on my Samsung Galaxy S20 (Android 11) and a Moto Z4 (Android 10) and it functions normally for me. Could you let me know the model of device you’re using?

I'm using a Oneplus 6 since approximately 3 years now. This function always used to work on this device all the time since 3 to 4 weeks ago, give or take...

Userlevel 2

Interesting you have a Oneplus as well Stefan, I was literally just replying…

My device is a Oneplus 6t, it’s strange because I have tested it on my partners Oneplus 5t and her new 9 pro and it works fine on those with our Sonos system.

My wife still has my old Oneplus 3. With this it also works without any issue.

hey all

yes.. i also have that problem!!! you are no alome ;)

Oneplus 6, Android 10.3.9 OxygenOS

i also not get any feedback from sonos even ober email or playstore app review and contacting sonos only possible over a call?!?

what i do is press&hold the vol. bar and slide vol. up/down like this.

but tap the vol. bar not working.

have 3 samsung in the house and there its working..

wondering if its issue only on one+6?

maybe we should contact one+?

regards

thomi

hey all

wondering if its issue only on one+6?

maybe we should contact one+?

regards

thomi

It is looking very much like OnePlus is the common factor, and checking with them would be a good idea.

if that's t

It is looking very much like OnePlus is the common factor, and checking with them would be a good idea.

if it really is an issue with the OnePlus 6, then one of the last updates might have killed this feature. I have my device for nearly 3 years now and I was using this function of the Sonos app all the time. It stopped working a couple of weeks ago.

Hello

Have started a thread on Oneplus community:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-6-incremental-volume-control-tap-slider-not-working-any-more.1421272/

Regards

thomi