If your CONNECT's analog out to your receiver volume is too low try using an optical cable instead

• 22 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Connect volume too low?  try using optical

I was getting very faint sound from my Sonos CONNECT into my Denon AVR-X2000 using an analog connection (Connect Analog out to Receiver CD in).    Tried adjusting the receiver’s input volume and the Connect’s output volume as suggested in some threads here but with no luck.       Likewise the digital coax didn’t work.

Finally tried using the optical connection and it works great.    This works for me because I’m using the ARC connection from TV to receiver so i don’t need it for anything else.    

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +17

Hi @oblio,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Connect. Using the optical out port does bypass the Connect’s DAC so it’s completely possible that you’ll receive a louder/different sounding signal compared to using RCA or Coax :slight_smile:

Hi. When using the analog, did you try it with FIXED output or just VARIABLE?

The same S/PDIF data is passed over the coax and optical.

There have been cases of the analog output stage failing. It would be a bit surprising if the coax didn’t work under such circumstances. Perhaps the input port on the receiver wasn’t correctly mapped/assigned.

Hi. When using the analog, did you try it with FIXED output or just VARIABLE?

Both, and pass thru.   

The same S/PDIF data is passed over the coax and optical.

There have been cases of the analog output stage failing. It would be a bit surprising if the coax didn’t work under such circumstances. Perhaps the input port on the receiver wasn’t correctly mapped/assigned.

hmm, I’ll map the coax input and try again- seems like that should work per your and James L’s comments.     

Unfortunately, using the digital output from Sonos Connect to my receiver (denon avr-x2000) means I can’t play Sonos on my ‘zone2’ (preamped) speakers because my pre-outs are restricted to analog inputs

Should I try to run the optical from Sonos into a 3d party DAC and then into my receiver’s analog inputs?   Seems like that would tell me of the Sonos DAC is the problem… 

If you can, first test the Connect’s analog outs into another, known-good input somewhere. If the analog stage has indeed failed and you must have an analog signal for the receiver then a small external DAC would certainly do the job. It wouldn’t need to be expensive.