I occasionally get a loud buzzing over the audio from Beam connected with HDMI

Userlevel 1

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

Also the Beam is in a surround setup with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

121 replies

The same is happening with my sonos beam as well. Very disappointing ☹️  Diagnostic is 1588770432

Hi,

I have the exact issue. It started few months ago, with occasional buzzes (solved by unplugging all speakers - i have a 2.1 setup with Beam and two Sonos One) and from yesterday, it’s permanent. I had to remove the cable from TV. It’s connected to a Samsung TV via HDMI ARC. I tried to change the sound output settings, nothing solves it. I tried bitstream, pcm, everything. Music via Airplay, Spotify or other music services works ok. The only issue is with TV. It doesn’t matter if the source of TV is Netflix, YouTube or Live TV, it buzzes. Sonos diagnostic report 393408273.

Thanks,

Costin

Unfortunately the same is happening here. I only use the beam, no surround or whatsoever. 

Diagnostic report is 224114322.

Hello there.

I’m having the same problem. Sonos beam connected to two Sonos one surround speakers, worked perfectly until about three weeks ago than loud constant buzzing when connected to the Samsung 75 TV via HDMI-ARC. No extra noise when use with streaming music such as Apple Music.  Currently totally unusable with television. Thanks

Hello there.

I’m having the same problem. Sonos beam connected to two Sonos one surround speakers, worked perfectly until about three weeks ago than loud constant buzzing when connected to the Samsung 75 TV via HDMI-ARC. No extra noise when use with streaming music such as Apple Music.  Currently totally unusable with television. Thanks

Maybe consider temporarily switching the cable connection to the optical-out port on the TV using the optical adapter that comes with the Beam and see if the buzzing stops, if so, it might infer the issue is with the TV, if not, then try a different HDMI cable and if the problem persists, then submit a Sonos System Diagnostic, posting its reference back here perhaps for the support staff to take a look at the data, or you can contact Sonos Support HERE.

Same issue here!  Sonos Beam, Sub gen3 and (2) Ones...Noticed the buzzing and hum always  and only transpires after extended YouTube video surfing.  But, once it starts it carries over to each and every source after that.  Only fix (which has worked each time) is to power cycle the Samsung TV.  I have tried switching to optical and swapping HDMI cables to a very high quality Crestron cable, to no avail!  I must power cycle TV...only had the Sonos deployed for about 3 weeks now...happened within the first 2 days and couple times since.

Badge +2

Hi all. There’s a update today on the sonos app. Hopefully this might fix the issue. 

Aaron

So I haven’t had any issues for 4 months and literally just now the buzzing is back all of a sudden! Does anyone know if there has been a software update to the play bar? 

thanks 

Aaron 

I have the same issue with my Samsung Q7.

Sonos actually sent me out a new Beam but as you all know, it’s an issue with all of the Beams. 
Still have the issue after about a year now with no one at Sonos able to resolve it. Pretty poor.

Soundbar user here. I get the occasion humm while watching YouTube on a Samsung smart TV. 
For me, it only seems to happen on low quality home shot videos. For example “shower won’t turn off (shower cartridge replacement)” triggers a hum on the sonos for me. 
Is there any chance these low quality videos are formatted in a way that it’s throwing off the Sonos? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I has this on my Playbar a few weeks back, only remedy was to unplug the Playbar and reboot.

Once it had acquired the buzz it was present on every TV source.

Very odd!.

My setup has been the same for over two years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m getting this issue on my playbar since S2 update. Only way to stop the buzzing is to reboot the playbar. When it’s buzzing it’s present on any source. So annoying!

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you, certainly much more than the community here does. 

Purchased the beam yesterday and it worked great… then this morning it did a buzzing sound as soon as i tried to watch something. Very concerning

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

Have exactly the same problem, happens every time the adverts come on when watching something on ITV Hub. Only remedy is to reboot the beam. Very annoying! 

Hi,

I also had the buzzing sound issue through the HDMI arc.

Problem first surfaced after Sonos app S2.

I managed to fix this issue through connecting my beam with Ethernet cable, then the buzzing stopped.

So maybe try this if you're having the same issue.

Userlevel 2

We’ve been having this problem for over a year with a Samsung TV / playbar attached via Optical output.  Youtube seems to kick it off - tis always fine until then and the only thing that fixes is turning off speaker at power and reconnecting

Same issue here.  Beam, Samsung TV, Youtube sets it off.  Have to unplug the beam to fix.  Annoying

What did Sonos support say when you called them?

Happens with my Beam and One SLs.  Its loud as hell and I have to pull the power to get it to stop and reset. Only time I have noticed it is with Youtube playing on Samsung TV with HDMI/ARC.

What did Sonos support say, when you submitted a diagnostic after the event, and called them with that number?

I have the same issue. Just got my Beam 2nd gen, 2 ones and a mini sub. Happens only when I turn on the TV, not streaming from my phone.

Diagnostics #: 1682456909