I occasionally get a loud buzzing over the audio from Beam connected with HDMI

Userlevel 1

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

Also the Beam is in a surround setup with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

121 replies

Badge +1

@Vosabhoy

Do you have a DVD/DVR/Game System that has either and ARC or an Optical port?

Hi Jean,

When are Sonus going to admit theres a firmware issue after the S2 update?

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Switching to PCM makes the buzzing higher pitch and much more unpleasant.

Rebooting the Beam help for sometime but it does reverts.

Happens both on apps and live TV.

Hi Morten, don't expect much from Sonus. This thread has been going on for months and it seems now we're getting ignored.

Then I must create a support case on it.

Here in Denmark we fortunately has 2 years of warranty, and if the problem isn’t solved “within reasonable time” you can demand the purchase to go back.

Badge +1

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Hi Morten, don't expect much from Sonus. This thread has been going on for months and it seems now we're getting ignored.

Here in Denmark we fortunately has 2 years of warranty, and if the problem isn’t solved “within reasonable time” you can demand the purchase to go back.

Hi Morten, we've the same warranty period in Scotland but this issue wont be resolved by replacing your speakers. Sonus need to fix the firmware issue on the S2 app.

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Hi Morten, we've the same warranty period in Scotland but this issue wont be resolved by replacing your speakers. Sonus need to fix the firmware issue on the S2 app.

Then we should demand the purchase to go back.

Even though I would much rather have a working Beam soundbar!

Badge +2

Hi All,

I have had the same issue with my Playbar 5.0 surround set up. Started a couple of months ago. 

The Playbar is optical only so i tried a new cable but that didn't work i have a Samsung TV. I seem to only get the buzzing when the apps are used and then the only way to reset it is to pull the power cable. 

I email technical support and we have tried assorts of things. Both the software on the TV & the Sonos is up to date (which might be the issue). I have tried removing the rear surrounds (Sonos Ones) and i still get the issue. I then re added them same problem. I tried turning true play off that also didn't work. 

It doesn't seem to do it as often at the moment and I have sort of given up with the tech support as it seems like they dont know what the issue is. I might email them a link to this thread. 

If anyone has a fix that would be good to know. 

Thanks

Aaron 

Badge +1

Hi All,

I have had the same issue with my Playbar 5.0 surround set up. Started a couple of months ago. 

The Playbar is optical only so i tried a new cable but that didn't work i have a Samsung TV. I seem to only get the buzzing when the apps are used and then the only way to reset it is to pull the power cable. 

I email technical support and we have tried assorts of things. Both the software on the TV & the Sonos is up to date (which might be the issue). I have tried removing the rear surrounds (Sonos Ones) and i still get the issue. I then re added them same problem. I tried turning true play off that also didn't work. 

It doesn't seem to do it as often at the moment and I have sort of given up with the tech support as it seems like they dont know what the issue is. I might email them a link to this thread. 

If anyone has a fix that would be good to know. 

Thanks

Aaron 

Hi Aaron, I'm convinced it's a problem with the recent update of the app to S2.  Everyone who's reported the problem seems to think that to. Sonus unfortunately seem to have given up on this thread as they've not posted in a while.

Badge +2

Hi all. There’s a update today on the sonos app. Hopefully this might fix the issue. 

Aaron

I was unfortunately on the same boat as everyone else. I have a Samsung smart tv and the buzzing appeared fairly recently.  I didn’t change any settings at all and I have done everything that was suggested in this thread to no avail and whatever recent updates happened they didn’t help at all.  Unplugged the optical cable and blew air into it to get any dust out.  After all the resetting I looked at power and the plug was partially out of the power socket! I made sure it was plugged in tightly and the buzzing went away. Bad grounding! I hope my bone headedness fixes the problem for some of you 😀 

After not experiencing this for a while I though that problem has been fixed in latest sofware updates, but I just experienced what I believe is a new form of same issue:

turned on TV and sound seamed to be odd (no buzzing though). After I came closer to Beam I understood that central channel (speach) is coming not from the central speakers but from left speaker instead. It was hard to determine what exactly was going on with center and right speakers, but seamed that there is some sound coming out - I’m guessing channels were swapped and center speakers were playing left or right channel audio.

Powercycle set everything back to normal.

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

Also the Beam is in a surround setup with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

I'm having exactly the same problem with a Samsung TV and it started a few months ago. First time I noticed the static background noise was via the TV's Facebook app. Once it starts, the tone of the static noise changes when I start a different video or I stop it. Same happens if I open a different TV app. The problem solves only after a power cycle the Sonos Beam. The problem is happening roughly once a week. Please, do something Sonos. Look how many people in this thread is complaining about the exact same problem.

I have the exact same issue as OP: Samsung Smart TV hooked up to beam via HDMI (ARC) and only happens when I’m on YouTube. If I switch to other apps like Netflix or Spotify I don’t get the buzzing. This has been going on since the beginning of the year for me, but I notice it happens only while watching a YouTube video.

Dear Sonos support,

just wanted to let you know this issue is still unresolved!

I'm forced to powercycle by Beam every other day. This is NOT normal!

Creating support cases gets us nowhere as many have stated in thi thread.

Please can we at least get an acknowledgement form Sonos side that you are aware of this problem? Communication regarding this has been very poor and although product is good othervise I would never suggest Sonos to anyone due to this attitude!

I just purchased the Sonos Beam. 2 days later watching internet TV I get loud buzzing from right speaker on beam- no resolution available.  £360 for a speaker- I expected a little better than this Sonos. Terribly disappointed, returning for a full refund. I will never recommend Sonos to anybody. 

I will echo what everyone else has been reporting on this thread. Playbar plugged to Samsung TV via optical. No problem until maybe 3 weeks ago. Now, several times a week, the playbar emits a buzzing sound, only when outputting from the TV. Playing music wirelessly from the app never triggers the buzzing noise. Sometimes, I’m able to get rid of the buzzing when switching the TV audio from dolby surround to PCM, but some other times, this does not resolve the problem. Unplugging the playbar is the only remedy, but it is only a temporary fix since the buzzing starts again a few hours or a few days later. I tried to switch the optical cable, recheked all my connections, … As everyone reported here, this has to be a firmware issue. Please Sonos, solve this! I don’t want to end up with a giant $500 paperweight.

I have exact same issue however it’s only when I play channel 7HD...everyone other channel including other channel 7 variants (7TWO, 7MATE) all play perfectly.  When I play 7HD through Sony Bravia TV speakers it plays fine. However 7HD through the Sonos Playbar will play a loud humming sound...very bizarre and annoying.

I have taken the advice of other people on this thread and the hard power reset has fixed the issue. (For now)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had this issue for the first time yesterday. My Beam was plugged into my Samsung blu-ray player using an optical cable. I was watching a YouTube video from the Samsung app, and it was working fine. I paused it, then when I resumed, there was a constant tone in the background. Playing the same YouTube video through the TV speakers was fine. I tried switching optical cables, and tried plugging the Beam into my TV’s optical output instead, but the loud tone continued as soon as any audio was playing through it. In the end I unplugged the Beam, plugged it back in, and that fixed it. I just hope this doesn’t happen frequently since the plug socket is hard to get to and there’s no other apparent way to reboot the Beam. Maybe there should be an option in the application to do so?

I would like to report that I factory reset my Playbar 2 weeks ago and, since then, I have not experienced any more buzzing. Not sure if this is related, but for me factory reset seems to have solved the problem. The reset instructions are here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

I would like to report that I factory reset my Playbar 2 weeks ago and, since then, I have not experienced any more buzzing. Not sure if this is related, but for me factory reset seems to have solved the problem. The reset instructions are here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

i have a beam and had the same issue. i factory reset it and it was working fine for 2 days and the buzzing noise just came back like 20mins ago. Darn.

i have a beam and had the same issue. i factory reset it and it was working fine for 2 days and the buzzing noise just came back like 20mins ago. Darn.

Sorry to hear that. My Playbar has not buzzed once since I factory reset more than 3 weeks ago. This issue might be affecting the Beam in a different way.

Hello all,

I'm facing the very same issue. My Sonos Beam gets a buzzing annoying sound after a few hours of being used (YouTube, Netflix), the only way to fix it is disconnecting the Beam from the power and then connnect it again.

It's connected to a Samsung smart TV through HDMI ARC port. This also started happening since latest app update, I didn't have any issue before this.

I see Sonos staff is now ignoring this thread, I was going to get a Sonos Arc, but after this horrible service I'm definitely spending my money somewhere else.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi.  I am having the same issues. Samsung TV,  Playbar with two play 1 and a sub using S2.  First time it happened was three weeks ago and it kind of resolved itself.  It came back last night and I had to unplug the playbar to fix it.  Has anyone gone back to S1?  I’m tempted but want to wait to see if anyone has had success doing that.  Thanks, Jim

same issue with my Beam .. I have only noticed it recently… samsung TV ARC connected BEAM connnected via LAN… HDMI input coming from a Orange LiveBox 

it seems like the left hand side is buzzing and all the sound comes from the other side…  unplug/replug resolves it but it comes back ?

this must be a software issue...

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I too have had this issue twice in the last month from my Beam and I'm on S1. There's been a buzzing from the right hand side of the speaker outputting from my Samsung TV (radio and other music sources were fine though). 

Oddly it was fine from Netflix or Amazon using the TV apps but the Channel 4 app and TV channels played from my Virgin TiVo box emitted the buzzing.

I switched off TV and TiVo which eventually sorted it so I was convinced one of those was the problem. Reading this, it sounds more widespread so I'll submit a diagnostic next time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Happened tonight again. Playing from the Channel 4 app (in the UK). It's more of a continuous tone from the right hand side of the speaker. I powered off and on which cleared it. Diagnostic 1659162737. If someone at Sonos could take a look please?

Cheers 

Jacob

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can someone at Sonos take a look please as it keeps happening and is really annoying? Cheers