I occasionally get a loud buzzing over the audio from Beam connected with HDMI

Userlevel 1

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

Also the Beam is in a surround setup with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

121 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @pghalliday,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

Are you able to see or adjust what audio format the YouTube app is playing through to your TV?

Is the TV set to output a specific format via HDMI/ARC or is it set to automatic?

Please double check that the format is supported by your Sonos Beam and if it is still occurring, please submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your reply.    

Hey!

I’m literally having this exact same issue, pretty much word for word. Same tv, same app setting it off, same setup. Did anyone find a fix?

cheers,

J

Badge +1

Same issue with beam connected to my LG tv. Loud buzzing noise have to pull the power cable then reconnect. All since Sonus 2 update. Not impressed!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Same has happened to me last week (only once), and was fixed by pulling the power chord.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @flyingpadrejr, @Vosabhoy and @Jrdncrtr 

Have you been able to look at the settings I mentioned in your TV?

If the issue is reoccurring after rebooting, please submit a diagnostic and reach out to us with the confirmation number so that we can assist you further.  

Hello @pghalliday,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

Are you able to see or adjust what audio format the YouTube app is playing through to your TV?

Is the TV set to output a specific format via HDMI/ARC or is it set to automatic?

Please double check that the format is supported by your Sonos Beam and if it is still occurring, please submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your reply.    

Badge +1

Changing the settings on my LG tv doesn't resolve the issue, only pulling the power cable then reconnecting it solves the issue. This has happened twice since updated my app. Diagnostic...347288406.

I have the exact same issue (beam+lg tv+buzzing) but only since this evening.  I'm using the S1 app and have the HDMI arc set to auto.  A reboot of the beam gets rid of the buzzing temporarily before it restarts.  I've unplugged it so the rest of the family can watch TV.......  Diagnostic 172347447

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hey there, 

I’m not seeing correct formatting on either of your home theater systems.

@Vosabhoy, if you are using the optical adapter with your Beam, check that the TV is outputting either Dolby Digital or PCM as a format to the optical port.

If those settings appear to be correct, try rebooting your TV (unplug it from power) rather than your Beam and see if this changes anything.

@Murpa, I’m not seeing any connection data on your Beam at all. Is your TV on and is the HDMI cable firmly connected on both ends and in the ARC port?   

Hi Jean,

Sorry, I thought the diagnostic would show what was happening before I disconnected the HDMI cable...  Diagnostic with the buzzing - 480665001

Cheers

Murray

Having same issue with Samsung TV. Just started today. Pretty constant and I get buzzing and/or a high pitch tone intermittently as well. Pretty annoying, had to just use tv speakers and thatsounds fine.

I am having exactly the same issue with an LG TV, only appears to happen with UK HDchannels, it seems the only way to fix this is to disconnect the power lead from the Beam and then reconnect it all appears to be good then. I would be interested to know what the permanent fix will be.

Badge +1

Hi, I have checked the settings, made some adjustments an ran another diagnostic 130887713. 

Fixed by changing digital out from tv to PCM instead of auto

I have exactly the same issue. It is the same low frequency buzzing noise coming from the playbar. This is connected to Samsung tv via optical cable. Happened to both while watching  tv and youtube. I will try to unplug everything and put it back as above to see if it works. 

Very weird this is just happened today.

Fixed by changing digital out from tv to PCM instead of auto

That just switches the TV audio output to stereo, rather than Dolby Digital surround sound (when available). 

I have the same problems with buzzing. Started couple days ago. Sonos Beam with 2 1’s surround. Have had the system about 2 years. Starting to see quite a few Beam owners reporting the same problem so I hope Sonos does not waste our time with stupid basic troubleshooting like cable..etc..

For now I just listen to sound through the Samsung TV. Guess they will figure it out at some point. I miss it but not a show stopper…..

Same exact issue. Samsung Qled with HDMI ARC connection on a Beam with Sonos 2 and two Ones as surrounds. All updated and working fine for weeks since I’ve had the Beam as my surround home cinema setup. Since today it starts buzzing in YouTube app on the tv from the right channel after several hours or sometimes even within 20 mins of a powercycle of the Beam. If I use tv audio it’s perfect so the tv speakers and data is ok. When I add the kitchen One to the Beam group the buzzing is also added to the kitchen sound so it’s not the hardware of the Beam. It’s definitely a software glitch as a reboot always fixes it. 

looks to me like the new Sonos 12 software is not playing nicely with the tv audio stream. 

As a long time enthusiastic Sonos owner I do hope this will be fixed asap. This is a real pain in the backside. 

Totally agree with Konimex that its a software glitch introduced with the 2.0 release. I will be patient and just wait for SONOS to fix the software with a update. No point in communicating with the support personnel and waste my time.

Totally agree with Konimex that its a software glitch introduced with the 2.0 release. I will be patient and just wait for SONOS to fix the software with a update. No point in communicating with the support personnel and waste my time.

The Playbar once had a genuine bug caused by an update.  The main thread about the problem hit 100 pages in a few days, and there were dozens of other threads as well.  Far more likely is there is something going on locally, and you should submit a diagnostic and post the reference # here to get it looked at.  

Nope - Other threads with the same problem as well. Its not local. Some will have the problem and not know what to do, others have probably not updated yet and then you have the totally clueless. Worked great for 2 years and started acting up with the 2.0 update. I am not going to deal with a 1st level support person that just looks at canned basic questions on a screen. 

1 page and a couple other threads vs. 100 pages+ and dozens of other threads.  I know where I'm putting my money.

Badge +1

Same has happened to me last week (only once), and was fixed by pulling the power chord.

This is only a temporary solution as it happened again with me 2 days later. Definitely down to the Sonus 2 update.

Happening to me as well and I have the exact same setup as the original poster. Samsung TV connected over HDMI ARC, beam, sub, 2x1’s. 

only noticed today but definitely believe this is an S2 issue or at least a recent update that caused it. 

same tests. Unplugged HDMI and no issue. Plugged in HDMI. issue. Streaming Music, no issue. 

to the Sonos support team this was definitely not an issue with config or tv settings as these haven’t been changed in… forever. I’ve had this setup for a while.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Murpa,

Since your set-up does not include any bonded surround speakers, switching your audio format to PCM (or Stereo as @Ken_Griffiths points out) was going to be my next suggestion, you just beat me to it. 

Please keep us posted on if this resolves your audio issues.

@Vosabhoy, are you able to set your TV audio format specifically to Dolby Digital rather than PCM? Previously the TOS link status on your beam was “inactive” which is why i suggested rebooting yoru TV along with checking on the specific audio format.

Most of the issues I’m seeing with home theater audio have to do with the TV not passing the correct codec on to the Beam and then chaos ensues. Whether this is is a purely “local” issue or something tripped by the update and adjustments made in how we are processing the signal, I am not sure.    

Badge +1

Hi, the options are PCM or auto for digital sound out via HDMI ARC. I currently have the setting at auto.