I occasionally get a loud buzzing over the audio from Beam connected with HDMI

Userlevel 1

Is anybody else experiencing this. It only started happening yesterday and I have had my Beam for about a year.

I have the Beam connected to my Samsung Smart TV using HDMI (ARC) and it happened when I started a YouTube video through the TV YouTube app. There was a loud buzzing noise over the audio. At first I thought it was a TV problem, but I switched to the TV speaker and it was fine. When I switched back to HDMI the problem persisted. I also unplugged the HDMI from the Beam and plugged it back in but the problem persisted. After rebooting the Beam (by removing and reinserting the power cord) the problem went away. However it has happened at least 3 times over the last 24 hours.

It should be noted that if I stream to the beam over airplay while in this state the buzzing doesn’t happen.

Also the Beam is in a surround setup with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones.

As it just started happening I wondered if it was due to a software update or something.

121 replies

Hey!

I’m literally having this exact same issue, pretty much word for word. Same tv, same app setting it off, same setup. Did anyone find a fix?

cheers,

J

Same exact issue. Samsung Qled with HDMI ARC connection on a Beam with Sonos 2 and two Ones as surrounds. All updated and working fine for weeks since I’ve had the Beam as my surround home cinema setup. Since today it starts buzzing in YouTube app on the tv from the right channel after several hours or sometimes even within 20 mins of a powercycle of the Beam. If I use tv audio it’s perfect so the tv speakers and data is ok. When I add the kitchen One to the Beam group the buzzing is also added to the kitchen sound so it’s not the hardware of the Beam. It’s definitely a software glitch as a reboot always fixes it. 

looks to me like the new Sonos 12 software is not playing nicely with the tv audio stream. 

As a long time enthusiastic Sonos owner I do hope this will be fixed asap. This is a real pain in the backside. 

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Switching to PCM makes the buzzing higher pitch and much more unpleasant.

Rebooting the Beam help for sometime but it does reverts.

Happens both on apps and live TV.

Hi Morten, don't expect much from Sonus. This thread has been going on for months and it seems now we're getting ignored.

Then I must create a support case on it.

Here in Denmark we fortunately has 2 years of warranty, and if the problem isn’t solved “within reasonable time” you can demand the purchase to go back.

Hi Morten, we've the same warranty period in Scotland but this issue wont be resolved by replacing your speakers. Sonus need to fix the firmware issue on the S2 app.

Then we should demand the purchase to go back.

Even though I would much rather have a working Beam soundbar!

Badge +2

Hi All,

I have had the same issue with my Playbar 5.0 surround set up. Started a couple of months ago. 

The Playbar is optical only so i tried a new cable but that didn't work i have a Samsung TV. I seem to only get the buzzing when the apps are used and then the only way to reset it is to pull the power cable. 

I email technical support and we have tried assorts of things. Both the software on the TV & the Sonos is up to date (which might be the issue). I have tried removing the rear surrounds (Sonos Ones) and i still get the issue. I then re added them same problem. I tried turning true play off that also didn't work. 

It doesn't seem to do it as often at the moment and I have sort of given up with the tech support as it seems like they dont know what the issue is. I might email them a link to this thread. 

If anyone has a fix that would be good to know. 

Thanks

Aaron 

Dear Sonos support,

just wanted to let you know this issue is still unresolved!

I'm forced to powercycle by Beam every other day. This is NOT normal!

Creating support cases gets us nowhere as many have stated in thi thread.

Please can we at least get an acknowledgement form Sonos side that you are aware of this problem? Communication regarding this has been very poor and although product is good othervise I would never suggest Sonos to anyone due to this attitude!

Badge +1

Same issue with beam connected to my LG tv. Loud buzzing noise have to pull the power cable then reconnect. All since Sonus 2 update. Not impressed!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Same has happened to me last week (only once), and was fixed by pulling the power chord.

I have the exact same issue (beam+lg tv+buzzing) but only since this evening.  I'm using the S1 app and have the HDMI arc set to auto.  A reboot of the beam gets rid of the buzzing temporarily before it restarts.  I've unplugged it so the rest of the family can watch TV.......  Diagnostic 172347447

Fixed by changing digital out from tv to PCM instead of auto

Fixed by changing digital out from tv to PCM instead of auto

That just switches the TV audio output to stereo, rather than Dolby Digital surround sound (when available). 

Totally agree with Konimex that its a software glitch introduced with the 2.0 release. I will be patient and just wait for SONOS to fix the software with a update. No point in communicating with the support personnel and waste my time.

Happening to me as well and I have the exact same setup as the original poster. Samsung TV connected over HDMI ARC, beam, sub, 2x1’s. 

only noticed today but definitely believe this is an S2 issue or at least a recent update that caused it. 

same tests. Unplugged HDMI and no issue. Plugged in HDMI. issue. Streaming Music, no issue. 

to the Sonos support team this was definitely not an issue with config or tv settings as these haven’t been changed in… forever. I’ve had this setup for a while.  

My TV doesn't have the quick start option, its a couple of years old. 

Ive tried restarting the router and the TV, the only thing that seems to get rid of it is power cycling the beam. Interesting that it was almost exactly 24 hours since it last happened. 

I did a couple more diagnostic reports to try and narrow down the issue, one while its buzzing and one after a restart.

So this happened to me again this evening when using the Amazon Prime Video app on an LG TV. Specifically it happened when I paused the programme and attempted to seek back a few minutes.

Once the buzzing started it continued even when closing the prime app and switching on the Sky box. Anything that used the HDMI connection the buzzing was there.

Unplugging the Beam was the only fix.

Diagnostic report of the buzzing occurring: 1534378377

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has happened to me a couple of times with Beam connected to Samsung ks7000 via optical cable.

Pulling the power fixes it, it doesnt happen 99% of the time - v odd

I have the same issue after updating Sonos. LG TV, YouTube, loud buzzing. It has been continuous. Tried disconnecting and also turned off the Quick Start option as mentioned, but buzzing still happens. 

Diagnostic confirmation - 1686699081

This is clearly a Beam firmware issue (bug) and it’s very sad that Sonos fails to admit that.

As many have confirmed before - once Beam enters this “buzzing” state, HDMI input won’t work normally no matter what you do - rebooting TV, changing settings or connecting HDMI to other device will result in buzz.

There is no way to get it back to normal behaviour besides doing a powercycle on Beam itself.

As a software developer myself I know that there are those cases when bug occours in specific circumstances and can be very hard to track down but denying that there is a problem in Beam software and blaming TV’s is not going to solve this.

I'm inclined to agree. This is definitely a firmware issue on the Beam itself. The S1 firmware did not have this issue. Rebooting the TV does nothing. Even after the TV has been rebooted the problem persists. Only a hard kill on the Beam fixes the problem.

As my first Sonos product, I'm less than impressed that the solution appears to be force my TV to output in a format that doesn't sound as good. 

The Beam is definitely receiving and processing something that gets it stuck in this error state. No matter what signal it subsequently receives, it'll remain in this state. My suspicion is that the diagnostic logs are incapable of capturing this, and simply report it as receiving a normal valid signal. A TV reboot would ensure that it is receiving an error free signal, yet the error persists. The issue is 100% on the Beam side.

If it helps any diagnostic work. My experiments to date seem to show that the error happens when the Sonos app says the Beam is receiving Dolby Digital 2.0. So in my case, we're generally witnessing the issue in the Amazon Prime Video app. However a programme outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 can be seeked backward and forward with no issue. A programme outputting in Dolby Digital 2.0 will cause the Beam to go bonkers if I attempt to seek backwards/ forwards through the programme.

I am also having this issue, and would like to add to the above (Samsung Smart TV, Beam + 2 surrounds connected via HDMI). The only thing that has changed in my system is the S2 update so I’m pretty sure its related.

Watching Channel4 OD in the UK via the TV app - buzzing in right channel occurs only while the main programme is playing but not when the adverts are on. I assume this is due to the audio format of the playout being different for ads. When it first happened using input from a Google Cast it was very loud like a swarm of angry wasps. It was much quieter (though still audible) when it happened using the 4 OD app.

I did raise a support case but currently having to go through the usual “try a different HDMI cable” , “turn your router off and on” troubleshooting is a bit frustrating. I am not keen on the idea of nailing the TV output to PCM as I enjoy the surround sound (when it works properly).

Prior to this I was very happy with my Sonos setup.

Same issue for me. (Samsung Smart TV, Beam + 2 surrounds connected via HDMI) It is a pity. I really hope that Sonos will solve this via a software upgrade. Before the S2, it worked fine.

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Badge +1

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Hi Morten, don't expect much from Sonus. This thread has been going on for months and it seems now we're getting ignored.

Badge +1

@Vosabhoy

Do you have a DVD/DVR/Game System that has either and ARC or an Optical port?

Hi Jean,

When are Sonus going to admit theres a firmware issue after the S2 update?

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Here in Denmark we fortunately has 2 years of warranty, and if the problem isn’t solved “within reasonable time” you can demand the purchase to go back.

Badge +1

Same problem here.

LG OLED TV using ARC.

Hi Morten, we've the same warranty period in Scotland but this issue wont be resolved by replacing your speakers. Sonus need to fix the firmware issue on the S2 app.