I'm getting an error "File is in an unsupported format" when I connect to a station.

• 28 February 2014
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
I get the error when I connect to the Audiophile Baroque station. The strange thing is that I've been listening to that station for months without any problems. Also, sometimes I can listen to the station for several minutes or more without problems. I submitted the diagnostics to Sonos. My confirmation number is: 3450345. Can you help? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Rick,

Do you have trouble with any other station or source of music? Can you please check another radio station? Do you have any issues with MOG, Songza or Pandora? 

Each radio station stream is independently hosted and could potentially have trouble. It's possible the stream for that station is failing. 

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, 

It seems to be only the Audiophile stations (Baroque, Blues, Classical) that are giving me the error. I contacted them, and they said they haven't changed their URL since last September.

Could the problem be that their stream requires more bandwidth than my internet connection can support? My connection is about 1.2 mbps. What kinds of issues would cause that error? 

Thanks,

Rick
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Rick,

That error message could be caused by a limited connection or streaming issue. Do you usually have trouble with the station when the internet connection is in use with other devices, such as browsing online?

Do you have any trouble with MOG on your system? That service should use about the same bandwidth those radio stations use.

Thanks.
I have a similar problem with BBC Radio 3. I can listen to it live, but all the recent episodes of shows (e.g. Radio 3 Live in Concert, Jazz Record Requests) say "unsupported format". I have plenty of bandwidth, can stream HD TV for instance.
We too are experiencing this problem BBC3 plays fine, but recorded shows (Early Music) give us the "unsupported" error.
I have the same issue with bbc radio 3 listen again - gives the unsupported file format error.
I'm having the same issue--receiving "unsupported format" error--when I try to listen to some BBC shows, in particular Roald Dahl's The Witches, episode 1. What do you think is causing this? I can listen to other BBC shows, but not this one.
Badge
its not sonos that is the problem, its tunein radio which is the service used, configured the radio stream direct via url, i.e; manage -> add radio station
bbc urls are here;
http://bbcstreams.com/
hth
adrian
Adrian - this works for the 'live' radio streams, eg, radio 1, radio 2 etc..., but I don't think it works for any listen again show - can you confirm?
Badge
yep just live stream, should be able to use your PC, iPlayer / windows media software to stream to a renderer (sonos), but suspect the more sensible option is to hope the content you want is available by searching, mentions it in following article; https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc_i_player
I am also getting this message for one of my stations suddenly. All of my other stations work. When I start listening to this one in particular ("Yle Puhe") I get an old show for about 2 minutes before it stops, with the above message appearing on my remote. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am also getting this message for one of my stations suddenly. All of my other stations work. When I start listening to this one in particular ("Yle Puhe") I get an old show for about 2 minutes before it stops, with the above message appearing on my remote. 
If you only have trouble with the one station it tends to be a problem with that station's streams, or the bandwidth that stream uses. I've been testing the station here and it's having the same issue you're experiencing, cutting out just after a minute or so. We'll pass on the information to our radio partner, TuneIn so they can investigate the streams for you.

Thanks for letting us know.
Me too seem to have problems with tunein and sonos after been listening for years. The stations are still working when listening without Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Are there any stations in particular you've had trouble with Yariv? Sonos will try to play all of the available steams served by TuneIn for a station. Sometimes it picks one too high bandwidth if you're having intermittent connection or network issues. If this happens with most stations, I'd like to get a look at a diagnostic from your system after having this issue. You can follow these directions to generate a confirmation number, just let us know what it is.

Thanks
usually it's the same stations: Radio lelo hafsaka, kol israel reshet bet and galei tsahal, the code Sonos gave me is 4445095. Thanks for your help
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the diagnostic. There is a little too much interference hitting your wired Sonos player which could cause audio cutouts, so we'll want to take a look there. Have you had trouble with any other sources beyond these stations?

If all of your music sources, or all of the higher quality ones, have trouble, it can be caused by this interference. You mentioned those stations working without Sonos, how were you listening to them then? Streaming on your computer or a mobile device? Is the device wireless or wired in?

It looks like your home wireless is on channel 2, it'd be best if you can set it to 1 and leave Sonos on 6, where it is. You can change the channel by logging into the router's administration and going to Settings. 
I didn't have any issues beside the stations mentioned. Other stations are working fine on Sonos. These stations used to work fine as well with Sonos. They still do if connecting with mobile devices on the same WLAN. The home router is currently sending on channel 9, should I really change it to 1? The router tells me on channel 9 there are the least interferences. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If it's just those stations your wireless is probably fine as is.

I'm testing out those stations right now here. Currently it looks like Radio lelo hafsaka isn't showing up as available on Sonos, which might be a problem with it missing the correct streams. Kol Israel Reshet Bet shows up but won't play, this is likely a similar issue. We'll reach out to TuneIn on these two stations to see if there are streams available which aren't currently indexed. 

Galei Zahal is available and seems to be playing fine, though we'll test it for a bit here just to make sure.
Okay,I'll be waiting for your results. The problems are not always the same, sometime better, sometime worse, somezime doesn't work at all, sometime the connection drops wvery few minutes and sometime is working relatively fine. Thanks
btw Ryan, my problem on "Yle Puhe" was fixed last week. Thank you.
I'm having the same issue--receiving "unsupported format" error with tunein station Radio Dismuke . That station works fine if I play it directly from the tunein app but not from Sonos. Please advise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm having the same issue--receiving "unsupported format" error with tunein station Radio Dismuke . That station works fine if I play it directly from the tunein app but not from Sonos. Please advise.

It looks like that station is playing in a format that's below our minimum streaming rate. Sonos does not support MPEG 2.5 audio formats that have sample rates of 12 kHz and below. Most of our partners stream above this rate, but there are some radio stations and services that do not have alternate streams at a higher rate. Dismuke seems to only be streaming at 11 kHz currently, so the station shows as available, but there aren't any playable streams when we go to access them. We'll see if there are any additional streams to be added to the TuneIn listing for them.
Thanks very much. I am noticing the same problem with the tunein station "Time Capsule Audio Network". Does it also have a low streaming rate?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks very much. I am noticing the same problem with the tunein station "Time Capsule Audio Network". Does it also have a low streaming rate?

That station is having a different issue. On the Tunein site itself you get the error message that there are no streams available. Same error we're seeing on the players for that station. It looks like all of their streaming URLs have been pulled down or stopped playing. We'll reach out to them, thanks.
Any update on Radio Dismuke? My Sonos plays other TuneIn stations, and Radio Dismuke plays in TuneIn on my phone -- I would love it if Dismuke could also play on the Sonos! It's really a great station.