Answered

I love my Sonos system but ...

• 30 August 2021
  • 7 replies

..it is so frustrating.

1. The Spotify connection is very intermittent;
  1. Yesterday Sonos played perfectly for 12 hours and then disappeared completely from my Mac and iphone necessitating a complete reboot of speakers, router and gigaclear range extenders... the second time in three days. It come back up but takes 15minutes to achieve this...
  2. My mac is hardwired and the gigaclear range extenders are wireless; I have a 100megabit fibre connection and no near neighbours … why does my sonos keep failing?? 
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 30 August 2021, 12:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sonos can have problems with Mesh Wi-Fi networks, I had similar issues with Google Wi-Fi.  Are your Sonos devices connecting via Wi-Fi?  I suggest that you try to connect one of your Sonos devices via an Ethernet cable as a test.

Thanks for the advice  .. I’ll give it a try and revert

Bob

Well I’ve connected one speaker by ethernet cable and so far so good! Does that make sense? ie one hard wired speaker helps feed audio signal to the others??

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well I’ve connected one speaker by ethernet cable and so far so good! Does that make sense? ie one hard wired speaker helps feed audio signal to the others??

Bob

Hi Bob.

Your Sonos system detects when one device is connected to an Ethernet cable and then creates it's own mesh network. It's recommended to delete the wi-fi credentials within the Sonos App now so that devices only use the Sonos net mesh.  Glad, your system is stable now. 😁

Thank you thank you UKMedia!

System works, is stable and hasn’t dropped off in a week

Be good if Sonos included this tip with every speaker … I‘ve got eight or nine sonos speakers and had never heard of a Sonos mesh until I read your advice

Again thank youi!

Bob

Be good if Sonos included this tip with every speaker … I

Sigh. At the outset this was the only way to operate Sonos. It was a major selling point: a self-extending mesh, dedicated to audio and kept away from other traffic. There are related patents galore.

Because it wasn’t always convenient to wire a player Sonos released Bridge, followed by Boost. 

It was in large part because the competition would crow that “Sonos isn’t really wireless” that they eventually introduced the ability to connect directly to a user’s WiFi instead. 

Maybe it would be possible to re-market the idea of a SONOS mesh because we now have many “wireless” products that require a “hub” that is wired.