Question

I keep getting an error message saying :Unable to play '... ' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

just as above. spotify unable to play. this is an intermittent issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Karl,

Audio playback issues could be due to interference, wireless settings conflicts or account issues.

Please try the following troubleshoots to help narrow down the issue:

Reboot your router and test the service again. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up.Then test again. Please clear your queue and then re-add and test playback. 

Remove and re-add the SpotifyService. To do so from your computer, please select: Manage > Service Settings > select Spotify > 'Remove' or ' - ' then select 'Add' or ' + ' > Spotify and enter your username and password

Test other services on the system. Test Internet Radio and other services to see if you experience the same skipping. 

Please also submit a diagnostic after these tests and after you experience an issue. I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here.
I am having this same issue but only with my home theater group. I can stream to another group ( a Play 1 in the kitchen) with no problems. It appears to be something with the home theater set up. I also can't play music that is on my controller device (iPhone 6). Once again, it streams fine to the Play 1 in the kitchen but throws an error when I try to play the same song through the surround system. Very Frustrating!
I have the same, was the new upgrade to blame? I've had no issues since installing several months ago, not moved anything..no change and then suddenly this happens all the time now...
I am also having the same issue, after I submitted diagnostics and everything to support it seems that there is nothing to be done 😞 I was thinking of getting a booster as this seems to be the problem for me (Wifi signal). 

Then again I don't want to fork another 100 euro for a so so product
Same problem here on Sonos in two different locations with in total 8 devices.
I have rebooted.
I had this problem earlier and it disappeared after an update of Sonos but now it is back again. 
Last time there was also info on the Sonos web page that there were issues with Spotify.
Starts to be a bit annoying. It has been working flawless earlier in both locations.
I was able to resolve my problem by changing the channel of my system by going to settings/advanced settings/SonosNet Channel and choosing a different channel. There was apparently interference with my router that was broadcasting on a similar channel. I set my SonosNet  to channel 6 and it has been working great ever since.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Everyone, 

We have seen that some clients are having issues with playback while using Spotify on Sonos. This has been linked to accounts using Facebook credentials. While we look into this issue, we recommend as a work-around that you remove your account and re-add it using your Spotify username/device ID. 

Take a look at this page, it will walk you through obtaining this username/device ID if you have not used it before. 
I am having this issue as well - diagnostic 6765146
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having this issue as well - diagnostic 6765146

Hi carolinerc,

There are a few wireless networks nearby that are on the same wireless channel as your router. Your speaker is losing connection from time to time, which is probably what's causing the Spotify error. You can try changing the wireless channel on your router to 1 or 11 and see if things improve.

It may also help to update your network information by rebooting your router and Sonos speaker.

Let me know if these steps help or not.
I keep having the same issue with Spotify not working. The spotify menues show fine, it shows the cover art for the spotify songs, it starts to play and then I get teh error message. It has not worked in a few weeks now so the issue is not intermittent. The system works perfectly otherwise (ruling out router and wifi issues) as it plays from the NAS and internet radio with no issues at all. I submitted diagnostics 6795073.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I keep having the same issue with Spotify not working. The spotify menues show fine, it shows the cover art for the spotify songs, it starts to play and then I get teh error message. It has not worked in a few weeks now so the issue is not intermittent. The system works perfectly otherwise (ruling out router and wifi issues) as it plays from the NAS and internet radio with no issues at all. I submitted diagnostics 6795073.

Hi DutchBB,

I'm seeing some wireless communication errors between your Sonos units. This is most often caused by wireless interference. If you have a Sonos unit wired into your network, please try changing the Sonos wireless channel.

If that's not an option because your Sonos system is fully wireless, please try changing the wireless channel on your router. You can also try moving any third party wireless devices away from your Sonos system. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs, wirleess printers and wireless cameras.
I am a little puzzled by your suggestion. The Sonos system works flawlessly when not playing Spotify. Albums from the NAS will play for hours with no sign of any interference of any kind. The problem is only with Spotify content - not with the Spotify menus, Spotify album covers etc which all work as intended - it really only is a very persistent error when it comes to actually playing Spotify music. Then the error message pops up.

What makes you think wireless channels have anything to do with this? Is content delivered differently to the Sonos players if it comes from Spotify versus content from a NAS? It seems far more like an authentication error than anything else
Not saying this is the case, but it's been found in the past that geo-spoofing programs can wreak havoc with Spotify connections. If you are running any, try turning it off and connecting to Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am a little puzzled by your suggestion. The Sonos system works flawlessly when not playing Spotify. Albums from the NAS will play for hours with no sign of any interference of any kind. The problem is only with Spotify content - not with the Spotify menus, Spotify album covers etc which all work as intended - it really only is a very persistent error when it comes to actually playing Spotify music. Then the error message pops up.

What makes you think wireless channels have anything to do with this? Is content delivered differently to the Sonos players if it comes from Spotify versus content from a NAS? It seems far more like an authentication error than anything else

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to troubleshoot over the phone. Please give us a call and reference case number: 161207-002886. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
I just recently replaced the power supply in my ( now unsupported) Bridge, and everything worked great, until I updated the App to integrate with Spotify.

Now, Spotify keeps dropping the connection. I tried calling your support line ( Listed here: http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/contact 0808-2346596 (freephone)), but only received another error message. I like the idea of Sonos, but you're killing me with uselessness.

Any suggestions are welcome.
sfhardy,

Perhaps submitting a diagnostic, and posting the number here, might be the first step in getting to non-uselessness, if you'll forgive the double negative? I'd do it within 10 minutes of Spotify dropping the connection, in order to give these folks at Sonos an opportunity to look at useful data in the log file.

You're much more likely to get functional help that way.
I'd be happy to, if I had any idea what that was, or how to get it.

Again, any suggestions are welcome.
Ah, here you go, sir/madam!

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/kw/Submit%20diagnostic