Answered

I can't upgrade my S1 controller...

• 1 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Help. I’m in an everlasting un-upgradable loop...

I am a Sonos user since 2006. So I have some old gear and some new gear. I want to remove the gear that I am being told to remove  - Play5 (Gen1) - in order to be able to upgrade my S1 app as I need to reauthorize my Apple Music account which I can’t do without upgrading. When i go to remove the Play5 I am told I need to upgrade first. I cant upgrade because unless I remove the incompatible Play5 Ive been told i need to remove. I cant unplug the Play5 because when i do and try and upgrade, the system says you cant upgrade because all of your gear isn’t available. I have tried rebooting the Play5 etc. no advice works none of the error message advice works. In fact at this point in time nothing works.

I have a Play3, Play 5 (Gen 1), Play 1, ZP100, ZP80, Bridge and Dock

Only the Play3, Play5, Play1, ZP100, are currently in use and they all worked on S1 controller up until now.

icon

Best answer by Paul_66 2 June 2021, 14:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Who told you that you need to move to S2 to reauthorize apple music?!

Keep the bridge and dock powered off, wire another unit to the router and update from within the Sonos S1 app. Does that work?

Hi Kumar, thanks for you're replies...on the first query, in the S1 app I went to re-authorize my Apple music service because i had changed the password and the app said i needed to upgrade it….i.e. the S1 app itself as I understand it not necessarily to upgrade to S2.

I don't currently use the bridge and dock so that won’t be an issue :-) However the Play5 is connected to the router. So to be clear I understand what you are suggesting is disconnect the Play5 from the router and connect another unit say the Play3 and try and upgrade the S1 app then without the Play5 powered up at all yes?

I don't currently use the bridge and dock so that won’t be an issue :-) However the Play5 is connected to the router. So to be clear I understand what you are suggesting is disconnect the Play5 from the router and connect another unit say the Play3 and try and upgrade the S1 app then without the Play5 powered up at all yes?

The play 5 should not be the obstacle that the bridge and the dock usually/probably are, but if you have tried the 5 and it gets stuck it may be worth trying to do what you suggest in the quoted, but in this manner: Wire any one other unit that has the jack, and leave all else powered off and see if just the one updates from within the S1 app. Once it does, power on the rest, without wiring them and see if they all then update.

Okay Kumar will try that this evening. Ill let you know how it goes. I do have a Case raised with Sonos support...but no reply yet so your input is warmly welcomed...so thanks again.:ok_hand:

Hi, so firstly it wasn’t my Play5 that was the issue it was my Play3 (mea culpa) - so, taking your advice I disconnected the Play3 from the router, disconnected everything else, connected the Play5 to the router instead, updated the Sonos1 App and then one-by-one reconnected everything except the Play3. Now I have all of my older Gen components back up and running on the Sonos S1 app and was also able to re-authorize my Apple Music account which is great.

The only thing left to do now is to figure out how to get my Play3 back into the circuit….any advice on that please?

When you apply power to the play 3 with other units up and running, are lights flashing on it? If yes, what happens after some time? 

Hi Kumar, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

The Unit is powered up however in the app it is saying:

“PLAY:3

Incompatible

Incompatible Software

Download Sonos1  on this product so it will be compatible with your system, or remove this product”

So when I select Download Sonos S1 it goes through the motions but fails saying:

“Update Problem: There was a problem during the update of your Sonos system. Try again”

...and when I select Try Again it fails...