I can't log in to the sonos.com website

• 17 October 2020
  • 19 replies

Badge

Hi.  I have been a sonos user for many years.

I am now unable to log in to the web site.  I consistently get messages right after providing my password that ‘sonos.com can’t handle my request’.

Due to the above, I am using another sonos.com account.  This account works great from all my machines.  The other account is inaccessible from all of my other devices and machines (except the sonos app -- that works fine).  Due to this disparity, I believe that the problem is on the server end, and it is not related to my devices in any way.

I have a lot of sonos devices.  Probably well over 30.  Is it possible that sonos is choking on this somehow?  I just moved about a dozen of them to this new account, hoping to ‘fix’ the login problem, but it didn’t work.

If any sonos employees want to look into this, the email address that I am having the problem with is the same as the one I am posting from, except for the bit appended after the “.”.

Please advise?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @timc995.system@gmail.com 

I’m not a Sonos employee nor tech support. That said what do you mean by “I consistently get messages right after providing my password that ‘sonos.com can’t handle my request’.

Is that the exact language or is there an error message?

Badge

I’ve attached the exact error.  Sorry I didn’t provide it the first time -- I had not saved the message until now.  I get the same message from my Android phone and 3 different windows PCs, using Internet explorer, chrome, and firefox.

Userlevel 7

Hi @timc995.system@gmail.com 

Thanks for the information on the error. 

Before we discus the error I suggest you change your community name to something other than your email (if that’s what it is).  Not everyone who visits this community is legit and you could open yourself up to scammers and other nasty things.

Now regarding  Error 502.  It may be a server error with your ISP so in that case you may need to contact them to resolve the issue.

However, before you do click the link for tips on trouble-shooting steps you can try on your end. FYI, my first go-to step for all network issues is to check my routers admiin page for updates and perform a reboot.  Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=error+502&docid=608036493180603972&mid=7335DABF69155E4B333E7335DABF69155E4B333E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Badge

Hi.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately no luck.

I’ve now tried a lot of things.

1. My primary account has this problem, but I have no problem using another account (the one I’m writing from).  I moved about 20 devices over to this new account and have had no issues with it.
  2. I loathe calling my ISP, given typical support quality there.  Instead, I used my phone to create a wifi hotspot, and connected my computers to it.  My phone uses a different ISP provider, and yet nothing changed.  Everything that worked continued to work, and everything that didn’t continued to not work, with the same errors.
  3. I tried multiple browsers on different machines.  No change
  4. I tried clearing history including cached files and cookies.  No change.

On top of not being able to access sonos.com (where I can see my account devices, trade-up credits, and purchase from sonos), I am unable to use my account to get into the community.sonos.com site too.

I’m still at a loss about how to access my account. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Timc_ tim_c.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Since you already tried several troubleshooting steps.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support for them to see your account.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Something about this reminds me of the old “who’s on first” skit (if that means nothing to you, google it for a chuckle)!…The support page says “We are receiving abnormally high contact volumes, please expect increased hold times and delays of up to one week on email responses. If your question is not urgent, we recommend posting it on the Sonos community.

In any event, I was able to reach an agent via chat.  After providing them with my credentials they confirmed that they were also unable to access my account.  That confirmation was helpful to my mental sanity.

They were working with their supervisor to try to figure out how to resolve or escalate.  After a 25 minute chat, I was patiently waiting for a next step (as directed!), at which point the chat abruptly ended “due to timeout”.

I’m not ready to try that again right now, so for today I will wait and see if perhaps they contact me (they do after all have my contact information as I provided them with my website login credentials).

Something about this reminds me of the old “who’s on first” skit (if that means nothing to you, google it for a chuckle)!…The support page says “We are receiving abnormally high contact volumes, please expect increased hold times and delays of up to one week on email responses. If your question is not urgent, we recommend posting it on the Sonos community.

In any event, I was able to reach an agent via chat.  After providing them with my credentials they confirmed that they were also unable to access my account.  That confirmation was helpful to my mental sanity.

They were working with their supervisor to try to figure out how to resolve or escalate.  After a 25 minute chat, I was patiently waiting for a next step (as directed!), at which point the chat abruptly ended “due to timeout”.

I’m not ready to try that again right now, so for today I will wait and see if perhaps they contact me (they do after all have my contact information as I provided them with my website login credentials).

Hey Tim, 

Were you able to get this resolved?
I am having the same issue with my other account. I contacted support over chat and they suggested I call. I called them and they said they had to send it up the ladder to another support team and I will hear back from them soon. 
It has been just over a week. Any luck on your end? if so, what was the resolution?

Thanks!

Same Issue since November with two of my longtime accounts error 502 on chrome and hang screen on Safari. Cant use my upgrades check on system old orders etc…  I Opened fresh account on new email and can login fine. Seems odd...

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @edgtg.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

HTTP 502 errors can happen for many reasons so we need to check a few things.

• Clear Browser Cache & Cookies
  • Try a different web browser
  • Try on a different network - turn off wifi on a mobile device and attempt to login to sonos.com via a mobile network connection.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thank you, I tried what you suggested different locations as well as different browsers on LTE. Using my iPhone both Safari and Chrome just give a blank screen. When I try on my mac same issue only Chrome is giving me the http 502 error. Both my accounts seem blocked on Sonos end. I don’t think it is an isolated incident other people are experiencing this as above. I also do not think it is my connection because I am able to log in with a new fresh account which is what I am on this forum with. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @edgtg.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Yes, this is a known issue right now with some accounts in Sonos.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I have been in contact with support for a while on this now.  They are working on it.

I actually had 2 different sonos.com accounts "break".  I discovered that if I remove devices from my Sonos.com account (by registering them to a different account), the web site started responding again.  I didn't check exact numbers, but it seemed that it would not load with over about 35 or 40 devices registered to the account.  Once I reduced the number of devices registered within the account to closer to 30, I was able to log in again.

Ps:. I am the same person who originally reported this .  Another side effect of the problem is that I can't access forums with broken accounts!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tpc995.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Hopefully, your issue will be resolve right away by our engineers.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The headers from AWS (Sonos origin host) in response to login for some accounts (those with many Sonos units) are too big for Sonos’s CDN partner, Akamai.   While it’s kind of nutty to have so much data in HTTP headers (and even more unsupportable to have it grow with the number of units registered,) this limit (8kb) is configurable on Akamai’s side, and will be addressed… 

PS: the ‘2’ in my username for this post may give a clue as to how/why this was identified.  IE, my login was broken like the OP and I was in a position to troubleshoot…

Badge +2

I am pleased to report the header limit thru Akamai has been mitigated  Users with many devices and/or upgrade offers (which results in large set-cookie headers from Sonos origin) should now be able to log in to www.sonos.com web site.  At least mine is working, and yours should as well if previous affected by this, until the next time the increased header limit is breached… 

Badge +2

For reference, I had 62 devices associated with my account (37 of them eligible for the upgrade program) so the resulting http set-cookie heders from the Sonos origin servers were larger than Akamai’s 8k header limit  and the browser would get a 502.   Akamai raised this limit (to 16k) for the Sonos configuration to mitigate this, but the root cause is poor header management on the Sonos origin side.  Data like that should be passed in the BODY of the response, not the headers...

Looks like enough people were reporting this problem for them to Fix it, It took about 3 weeks or so, but I am able to login again and go through upgrade program!

Thanks Sonos!

Badge +2

Thanx for confirming the issue is fixed for anyone but myself.

As I mentioned and described in detail, the issue was not fixed by Sonos.  It was mitigated (for now) on Akamai’s network, between you and the Sonos web servers that generate the content with (previously) too-large HTTP  headers…

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am the OP.  I just today thought I'd try again, and to my surprise it worked!

I had migrated to another account.  With the limit now 16k, it still feels like I could breach that someday given how I use the account, but at least it's working for now.