Answered

Huge delay in volume control from Spotify app android and IOS

• 27 November 2020
  • 7 replies

I use Sonos play 3. When controlling volume from Spotify app its really slow. If I set volume, it takes a good five seconds before something happens. It's also really problematic to set the volume right. If I adjust it to ie 70% maybe it is set to 50% after some time. From the Sonos app, everything is fine. This applies to both android and ios apps. 

icon

Best answer by controlav 5 January 2021, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @bjornfjeld, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

First I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Is this only happening on the Spotify app? How about on your other music app?
  2. Did you encounter the same if you stream music on the Sonos app?
  3. Is the Spotify app updated? Were you able to encounter the problem using another mobile device?
  4. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app?

If after performing the steps above and you still experience the same, I recommend reaching out to Spotify. You may also check out this thread to help you out.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have the same issue, diagnostic 436432453

No delay when using the Sonos app to control the volume when Spotify is streaming. Huge delay when using the Spotify app (android).

Note that one of my Sonos speakers is wired so they're on the Sonos mesh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @chuckvvd

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, shows audio dropout due to sync errors and wireless interference was detected in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space.  You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video.

Here are the steps that you can follow and see if it works for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

Thanks but I'm confused as my Sonos system is wired :) why would WiFi conditions affect audio as the speakers are supposed to use the Sonos mesh network? I didn't hear any audio dropout at all, and I'm not experiencing any on any of the speakers in the house.

The diagnostic was to reflect the huge delay changing the volume using the Spotify app, then a few seconds later using the Sonos app instead.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @chuckvvd

Thanks for your response and for updating us. 

Wireless interference may experience on wired or WiFi connections. Wired connections mean you're in SonosNet. The wired speaker to your router is broadcasting the wireless connection to the rest of your Sonos speakers. You may not hear any audio dropout but there's a sync error detected in your Sonos system which might be causing the audio delay when you stream on Spotify. Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers and mobile devices.

Have you performed the recommended steps? If the issue is not resolved, please contact our phone support team to check what's going on with your Sonos. Let us know if you have questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for the reply.

The steps you suggested didn't improve the delay when trying to change the volume from the Spotify app whilst streaming on Sonos speakers. As I previously mentioned the volume change is very reactive from the Sonos app, but almost unusable from the Spotify app.

Can you let me know if tests conducted on your end (streaming on Sonos speakers from the Spotify app and adjusting the volume from the Spotify app) show a different outcome? Looking at the Sonos forum there's a few other threads mentioning this issue.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When changing volume with the Sonos app the command passes from your phone to your router to your Sonos device. Very quick, 100% local network.

When changing volume via the Spotify app the command goes from your phone to your router, then to the Spotify servers, then to the Sonos servers, then to your router, then to your Sonos device. That is two hops minimum over the internet at large, so lots of potential for delays if your internet or DNS is having a bad day (or the Spotify or Sonos servers). A tracert might show which hop is having trouble. I assume you have tried rebooting your router, which is by far the most common cause of issues in these areas.