How to remove Roam from my system before return?

• 2 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

I recently purchased a Roam and would like to return the unit back to the retail store. Before doing so, I would like to remove it from my set up. I saw a support article about resetting it which I followed and reset the unit successfully I think its blinking green), However, is there a way to remove it from my Sonos app on my iPhone? My understanding is that the until will not be removed from my account until someone else purchases and registers the unit. But I want to see if there is any way to remove it from my app. Also, reading the instructions from the support page (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US), it claims that the steps will “delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product.” But if this is the case, why am I still seeing the unit in my app as well as my account?

Please advise.

K

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There’s a difference between doing a factory reset, which erases all data stored on the speaker itself, and removing the registration of the speaker from the Sonos website. This might be so that if someone were to steal your devices, Sonos has a way to track them, but that’s just a hypothesis on my part. 

I’ve got a few items in that area of the database that have been recycled. It just proves that I bought them, not that they’re actively in use. 

But, as you say, for an item to get removed from that particular db, it requires someone else to “register” that device to their own account, which doesn’t happen with a simple device factory reset. I think not even CS has access to change that data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Could you grab a throw-away e-mail address and re-register your departing Sonos to it?

Would that remove it from your current list?

Userlevel 2

There’s a difference between doing a factory reset, which erases all data stored on the speaker itself, and removing the registration of the speaker from the Sonos website. This might be so that if someone were to steal your devices, Sonos has a way to track them, but that’s just a hypothesis on my part. 

I’ve got a few items in that area of the database that have been recycled. It just proves that I bought them, not that they’re actively in use. 

But, as you say, for an item to get removed from that particular db, it requires someone else to “register” that device to their own account, which doesn’t happen with a simple device factory reset. I think not even CS has access to change that data. 

While I understand the registration part of it, I just wish that there is a way to allow the user to remove/hide the device from the app itself so it does not get “left behind.”

Could you grab a throw-away e-mail address and re-register your departing Sonos to it?

Would that remove it from your current list?

Hmmmm… That’s an interesting idea. 

I’ve learned that the only purpose that database serves for me is when I want to ‘upgrade’ and get a discount. Beyond that, I never look at that page, it has, at best, an extremely tenuous relationship to the system I actually use. I used to be extremely concerned, now I’ve realized it makes zero difference to my day to day with Sonos. 

The speaker will disappear from the app in a couple of days. 

Weird there would be no way to simply remove a system from your list.. I had the same problem with Roam which was just giving me some dub dub sounds wanted to return to. Costco but the red line is annoying  …