Answered

How to program 2 remotes for volume on Beam using optical.

• 10 January 2022
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Is there a way to do this as I would like my virgin media remote and my magic remote to control the volume on my Beam using optical. When watching Netflix, Amazon prime etc I use my magic remote but I have to use the Virgin remote for volume as can’t get them both to work. I can get them to work using HDMI but I’m having handshake issues so I’ve gone the optical route. Surely there is a way round this.

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 11 January 2022, 22:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

As long as all remotes are using the same device’s IR codes, any number of them can control your Sonos. There’s no way for the Sonos to be aware of which device is sending an IR code, only that it’s an IR code that it recognizes.

Just make one of them match the other, and you’ll be good to go.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

As long as all remotes are using the same device’s IR codes, any number of them can control your Sonos. There’s no way for the Sonos to be aware of which device is sending an IR code, only that it’s an IR code that it recognizes.

Just make one of them match the other, and you’ll be good to go.

Thank you for your response. I can not find the IR codes for the Sonos beam anywhere.

There aren’t codes for Sonos, you should be setting them up to control your TV set. Then follow the instructions to set up the Sonos to recognize your remote for the TV set, and both remotes, since they’re using the TV set’s IR codes, will work. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

There aren’t codes for Sonos, you should be setting them up to control your TV set. Then follow the instructions to set up the Sonos to recognize your remote for the TV set, and both remotes, since they’re using the TV set’s IR codes, will work. 

If you are talking about setting it up with the Sonos app you can only do one remote at one time when using optical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you are talking about setting it up with the Sonos app you can only do one remote at one time when using optical.

Since the remotes will both be using the same “code” I’d expect that you only need to tell Sonos what it is from one of the devices. It should then recognise both. That’s how it is with my Harmony, BY Vision set top box and TV remotes: any can control the volume. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

When I  use the app to program the second remote it forgets the first remote 

The two remotes need to be using the same IR codes, so that means you ‘train’ the Beam to use the first remote and the second remote then works automatically - if the 2nd remote is not working for you, then it does not have the same IR codes as your first remote. You cannot use two remotes with different IR codes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The two remotes need to be using the same IR codes, so that means you ‘train’ the Beam to use the first remote and the second remote then works automatically - if the 2nd remote is not working for you, then it does not have the same IR codes as your first remote. You cannot use two remotes with different IR codes. 

Thanks I am missing something here, how do I train the beam to work with both. Is there a walkthrough anywhere as I cannot get this to work.

Thanks I am missing something here, how do I train the beam to work with both. Is there a walkthrough anywhere as I cannot get this to work.

You don’t train the Beam to work with both, you need to program the remotes to mimic the same device for volume.  That way, both remotes send the same IR signals and you train the Beam to that.  List your remote types and we can explain how to do it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

You don’t train the Beam to work with both, you need to program the remotes to mimic the same device for volume.  That way, both remotes send the same IR signals and you train the Beam to that.  List your remote types and we can explain how to do it. 

Ok Thanks. i have the virgin tivo remote and lg magic remote.

I would program the Virgin remote to use an LG TV for volume, and then train the Beam to either remote.  See this link on how to program the Virgin Tivo remote:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/Programming-your-TiVo-remote-control/td-p/3166540

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I would program the Virgin remote to use an LG TV for volume, and then train the Beam to either remote.  See this link on how to program the Virgin Tivo remote:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/Programming-your-TiVo-remote-control/td-p/3166540

Thanks for your help. I have tried this and programmed the virgin remote which is operating the tv volume but when i use the app which asks to replace current remote i do this and one works the other doesn’t. i can only get one remote to work at a time. I have also same similar set up in my room Playbase, LG tv and virgin tivo same remotes etc and the same result. Both set ups using optical and like i said before with the beam i could get both remotes working Through HDMI set up but i had handshake issues thats why i reverted back to optical. Not sure whats going on but it just not having it.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help. I have tried this and programmed the virgin remote which is operating the tv volume but when i use the app which asks to replace current remote i do this and one works the other doesn’t. i can only get one remote to work at a time. I have also same similar set up in my room Playbase, LG tv and virgin tivo same remotes etc and the same result. Both set ups using optical and like i said before with the beam i could get both remotes working Through HDMI set up but i had handshake issues thats why i reverted back to optical. Not sure whats going on but it just not having it.

Thanks again

Then somehow the LG remote volume is programmed to a different device.  You need to get it back to an LG TV for the volume.  See this link:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/how-to-setup-universal-control-on-your-magic-remote-CT10000018-20150539692863

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Ok when I turn on tv speakers both remotes control the volume. When I turn optical on for the Sonos, only one remote will work at a time. To get the other one to work I go into Sonos app and set it up but then the other one doesn’t work.

Thanks again

Then somehow the LG remote volume is programmed to a different device.  You need to get it back to an LG TV for the volume.  See this link:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/how-to-setup-universal-control-on-your-magic-remote-CT10000018-20150539692863

Ok when I turn on tv speakers both remotes control the volume. When I turn optical on for the Sonos, only one remote will work at a time. To get the other one to work I go into Sonos app and set it up but then the other one doesn’t work.

•  
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What “device” is the virgin media remote set to control? And what “device” is the magic controller set for? I don’t mean the codes for each: I mean the name of the device itself. 

Does the virgin media device have a volume?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

What “device” is the virgin media remote set to control? And what “device” is the magic controller set for? I don’t mean the codes for each: I mean the name of the device itself. 

Does the virgin media device have a volume?

The virgin control has a volume and it controls the Virgin TiVo box and lg magic control is for the tv. Both control the TVs volume when tv is set to internal speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Do they both control the tv volume or does one control the Virgin TiVo volume? If the latter, that’s probably the issue. Try setting them both to control the tv volume. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Sorry the TiVo remote has a volume button to control the tv not the TiVo box. Like I said above it does control the tv volume when set to internal speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Are there different settings for different the outputs for the volume in the tv settings? Do you need to set something in “Optical Out” to match HDMI Out settings?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

No optical out is for all the inputs to play through the Beam. That’s all working fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

No optical out is for all the inputs to play through the Beam. That’s all working fine.

On which controller?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

On both. Which ever I set up on the Sonos app. But only one will work at a time and will not follow the other.

If one is controlling the TV set, and the other is controlling the Virgin box, then one or the other won’t work. You have to have both remotes using the exact same IR codes. 

Make sure both the TiVo and the Virgin remote are both set up to control the TV set. Then teach the Sonos to recognize one of the two remotes. You can’t have one remote controlling one thing, and the other controlling the other. They both must be programmed to be controlling a single device, usually the TV set. Then they’ll both be using the same IR codes, and you can program the Sonos to recognize that set of IR codes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

If one is controlling the TV set, and the other is controlling the Virgin box, then one or the other won’t work. You have to have both remotes using the exact same IR codes. 

Make sure both the TiVo and the Virgin remote are both set up to control the TV set. Then teach the Sonos to recognize one of the two remotes. You can’t have one remote controlling one thing, and the other controlling the other. They both must be programmed to be controlling a single device, usually the TV set. Then they’ll both be using the same IR codes, and you can program the Sonos to recognize that set of IR codes. 

I have done this. I have set the tivo remote to operate the tv like this.

The first step. So now the remote is controlling the tv and now sending the same ir code. I then set up on the sonos app either one of the remotes and only one will work. Not sure what more i can do as i am doing everything correctly. I have been waiting a few years for this to be sorted and still the same as the last time i tried.

You’ve switched the LG magic remote to use IR, rather than it’s normal system, correct? By default, it isn’t IR. It controls the TV by either RF or Bluetooth. I’ve never owned one, so I’m not sure. But Sonos has an FAQ on how to switch a magic remote over to IR somewhere around.