How to play Sonos when wifi is down? Or get Line In to work?

• 19 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Internet from comcast is down for 7+ days due to a local fire.

Ive been trying to get sonos to play but without wifi, nothing works.

I’ve tried using my Bridge to create its own wifi network, but that doesnt work as advertised (ie it just doesn’t work at all)

I’ve tried using my iphone LTE hotspot to create a network, but that doesn’t work.

I’ve also tried just plugging an aux cable into my Play 5 from laptop and iphone, but no sound comes out of the speaker!

I can’t open the Sonos app without a wifi connection (Sonos designed it so it blocks you from any settings while wifi is down)

Any ideas??

It is pretty infuriating that with 6 sonos speakers and a bridge, I can’t get any to play music without wifi, even though they have aux outlets and are advertised as being able to create a network.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As a further thought, if you cannot use your router's wifi then you could factory reset the Play:5 ONLY then set it up as a new system using your phone as a hotspot. If nothing else, that would allow you to enable Autoplay and use the line-in. If you need to do this please come back for more advice before attempting it. It would be better to use your router's wifi if that option is available.
If your Comcast connection is a modem/router/wifi combo device it may well not work without the cable connection back to Comcast.

If you have a stand-alone router/WiFi then you should be able to at least see your Sonos devices using your web browser and go from there to get them working.
I stand corrected if that is the case. All the modem/router combos I have had were happy providing a wifi LAN without an internet connection, so perhaps I have incorrectly assumed it is generally so. I am not sure whether the OP has tried this or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If your Comcast connection is a modem/router/wifi combo device it may well not work without the cable connection back to Comcast.

If you have a stand-alone router/WiFi then you should be able to at least see your Sonos devices using your web browser and go from there to get them working.
You don't have internet. But your router should still be perfectly capable of creating the wifi LAN you need to play local content. It sounds like you have unnecessarily given up on the router. You need to understand the difference between wifi and internet.

To use the P:5 line-in in the absence of wifi you first need to enable Autoplay on the P:5. But I don't think you are in the absence of wifi, just the internet.

Btw, the Bridge does not create not 'create its own wifi network' and nowhere is that claim made. That is your misinterpretation of what you have read.