Answered

How to prevent Sonos rooms from becoming ungrouped?

Badge +1

How to make the grouping of Room Grouping option stay as chosen?

Eg: Beam connected to TV (Group 1) + One pair (group 2-stereo pair) = New group (Group1 + Group 2)

When i ON the speakers and TV, by default the sound coming out from the TV only goes to the Beam and not the ONE pair. I need to use the Sonos App and choose the “New group” everytime i restart them in order to get sound from the One pair. 

Any solution ?

icon

Best answer by John B 24 April 2021, 10:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Turn off Ungroup on Autoplay under the Beam’s settings in the Sonos app.

Badge +1

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar for the advice. But it seems it is not working. Am not sure if you have it working in your system, but mine was ungrouped each time i turn off and turn on the system even when i had the option of “Ungroup on Autoplay” turned off. I am suspecting there is a bug in the software, maybe ? I had tried many times, with different scenarios and over multiple groups (Arc groups and the Beam groups) it just stayed ungrouped after power OFF-ON. 

Another problem is, if the speakers are joined as surround, the volume can be controlled via the TV remote. But if joined as a groups, TV remote does not work. Sonos please fix this and the ungroup bug...please!! please !! 

If you are powering off your speakers they WILL ungroup.  Sonos speakers are designed and intended to be left powered on. 

Badge +1

If you are powering off your speakers they WILL ungroup.  Sonos speakers are designed and intended to be left powered on. 

But why when it is put as surround, they stay together. But if join as 2 group, they cannot stay together ? Something i find odd. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Because when you ste them up as surrounds they have a master/slave relationship via a dedicated 5Ghz link to the soundbar. Grouped they have a much more level relationship via your wifi or Sonosnet.

Also surrounds should always stay grouped as that is how they are used. Other grouped speaker you would not want to stay grouped, because starting the TV in the morning could wake up the whole house.

in your case it seems to be that your system ungroups because you turn off your (multiroom, always on) speakers. So. There is a solution, though it will cost you some electricity.

Note that Sonos speakers automatically go into low power mode a few minutes after they stop playing.

Badge +1

Because when you ste them up as surrounds they have a master/slave relationship via a dedicated 5Ghz link to the soundbar. Grouped they have a much more level relationship via your wifi or Sonosnet.

Also surrounds should always stay grouped as that is how they are used. Other grouped speaker you would not want to stay grouped, because starting the TV in the morning could wake up the whole house.

in your case it seems to be that your system ungroups because you turn off your (multiroom, always on) speakers. So. There is a solution, though it will cost you some electricity.

thank you @106rallye for the answer even though it does not address my problem. However i still think that Sonos could make this better managed and give users the choice to choose. Otherwise it is not making much sense with the many speaker sets not being able to be used together and as separate stereo set at the same time ( i mean ease of using it as stereo and then can use it as groups whenever we want). Putting them as surround would mean i can’t use them for stereo speakers. Removing them for stereo would mean i need to re-add them as surround and re-calibrate true play. Its becoming frustrating this way. Am pretty sure i am not the only one complaining. Sonos, you can do better than this. Fixing this helps with selling more speakers. So why not ? i don’t see any technical challenge preventing it from being fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This has been asked before - I personally see not much use for this, though I can see it working for some. And it would add complexity to an app that is too complex for people already.

You do know that a surround set has a “full” setting that makes the surrounds full stereo - albeit with the soundbar?

Badge +1

This has been asked before - I personally see not much use for this, though I can see it working for some. And it would add complexity to an app that is too complex for people already.

You do know that a surround set has a “full” setting that makes the surrounds full stereo - albeit with the soundbar?

Is this newly implemented ? As its not available 1 month ago.

May i know how to enable the surround “Full” setting ? i tried all the buttons available (such as the surround toggle and what not) but its either ambient or nothing from the surround speakers. As for the music, its working fine (in Full or Ambient). 

Not new, it’s been this way for surrounds for a long time, since the concept of the sound bar and surrounds were introduced by Sonos.

Go to Settings, System, select the room that has your Sonos Sound bar, then Surround Audio, and the switch is labeled Music Playback. You can select either Ambient of Full. 

Badge +1

Not new, it’s been this way for surrounds for a long time, since the concept of the sound bar and surrounds were introduced by Sonos.

Go to Settings, System, select the room that has your Sonos Sound bar, then Surround Audio, and the switch is labeled Music Playback. You can select either Ambient of Full. 

i see….then the problem remain un-resolved. I know about music (Full/Ambient) function which applies to music only stream such as Spotify, etc. This works perfectly.

Am talking about the sound from the TV here which does not have Full/Ambient setting capability. Been talking about this for over a month around #Beam #One Pair #Five pair TV full sound. There were a few people asking for this...where they complaint on not getting sufficient sound from the TV via thier surround speakers. Hope this shed some light on this ask. 

Ah, now I understand what the issue is. 

Sonos has never offered a “repeat the center (voice) channel in the surround channels” feature, which would be beneficial for many. I’m not familiar, honestly, with any surround speaker system that offers such a thing. 

It has come up multiple times, however, in various threads as a request, so it may be slowly rising on the Sonos backlog of things to implement. However, given that they don’t share that roadmap with us, likely for good reason, we won’t actually know if it is being worked on until such time as they release it. Or frankly, even if it is being worked on. It’s entirely possible the number of people it would benefit is so low that there’s not a financial benefit as there may be for other features. 

I guess what I’m saying is, yes, Sonos has heard the complaint before, and no, don’t hold your breath to see it implemented. 

Badge +1

Ah, now I understand what the issue is. 

Sonos has never offered a “repeat the center (voice) channel in the surround channels” feature, which would be beneficial for many. I’m not familiar, honestly, with any surround speaker system that offers such a thing. 

It has come up multiple times, however, in various threads as a request, so it may be slowly rising on the Sonos backlog of things to implement. However, given that they don’t share that roadmap with us, likely for good reason, we won’t actually know if it is being worked on until such time as they release it. Or frankly, even if it is being worked on. It’s entirely possible the number of people it would benefit is so low that there’s not a financial benefit as there may be for other features. 

I guess what I’m saying is, yes, Sonos has heard the complaint before, and no, don’t hold your breath to see it implemented. 

However dissapointing this seems, i guess i have no choice but to respect this decision of Sonos on not to implement it.

But the idea of having full sound coming from the surround speakers does not mean just to repeat the center (voice). Not that simple. Its more like serving like a back reverb sound of what is playing from the front kind of effect. Not sure if i use this word correctly - complementary sounding speakers (for the surround) to widen the sound stage and enhance clarity without raising the volume kind of effect. I had this effect (or at least similar effect) when i group them together instead of surround. But problem is that the group got ungroup when power off-on. Having this allows the  One pair or Five pair enhances the sound so much better (with Beam or Arc). So am not sure if Sonos team is getting this idea or just thinking that the ask is just to repeat the center (voice). I am more than happy to give further elaboration as i really enjoy this if it can be implemented. ;)