Answered

How to locate existing playlists from my Sonas Systems ?

• 23 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi

I have 4 Sonos S1 speakers which have been controlled by a Samsung tablet which was running the S1 App controller.   The speakers and tablets were recently moved to another location thus another wifi address.  My daughter created the Sonos playlists adding one song at a time and does not recall user name/password (if required) for these playlists since she created them 2 years ago. 

I have an Apple 13 phone and a friend went ahead and installed the Sonos S2 App on the Apple device which allowed me to get access to Youtube Premium streaming music at the new location but not access to the playlists I had in Sonos previously. All Sonos speakers are now connected to the new wifi location using the Apple 13 device.

Questions:

1. How do I restore the Sonos playlists I had when I was using the Samsung tablet with the Sonas speakers.  
  2. Is there a way to restore these playlists to the Apple device which is now running S2 with the speakers?
  3. Where is the music from Sonos Playlists physically stored?  Is it stored on the Sonos Speakers?

Any help here would appreciated since I have a great music library I don’t want to lose.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 January 2022, 23:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. The Sonos playlists are stored on the speakers. They would be completely unaffected by a change of WiFi network, a change of controller or an upgrade to S2. Unless you did an unnecessary factory reset of all the speakers. 

If they are still there they will be under My Sonos in a mobile controller. Tap the star symbol bottom left of the screen.  There is no username or password for playlists. 

Thanks The person who installed the S2 App on the iphone inadvertently did a factory reset of the Sonos speakers because he was having trouble getting wifi working before I had a chance to do my upgrade.   I was going to hook up one of the speakers to the router to get the wifi working for the new location and then update to S2 now that the Sonos speakers are connected to the right wifi ip.

Is there any way to get the meta data or music listing at least - I can rebuild the music playlist.  It is unfortunate that there isn’t a back up.   Perhaps keeping this music in the cloud.

If they did a factory reset of the speakers, with either S1 or S2, it would have deleted the playlist. If that’s the case, you’re going to have to rebuild the playlists.

Yes, there has been a long time feature request for the ability to export these, or store them in some sort of ‘cloud’ state. So far, that’s not happened.

If you still have a device that wasn’t factory reset, it would still have the playlists. You could ‘start’ with that device, and use the ‘add a device’ process that would then copy the existing data over to the new devices. 

Thanks Airgetiam for the update.  Indeed this feature request needs to be implemented.  Folks are probably shooting themselves in the foot all the time!

What device are you referring that may not have been factory reset?  Another Sonos speaker?   All the speakers were reset from what I was told.   I don’t believe the Samsung tablet had the music locally stored which was the original device running the Sonos speakers before they moved to the Apple iphone 13.   I was told the Samsung Tablet does not have music locally stored and that it is just on the speakers.  I will double check if that is the case again.

Thanks Airgetiam for the update.  Indeed this feature request needs to be implemented.  Folks are probably shooting themselves in the foot all the time!

What device are you referring that may not have been factory reset?  Another Sonos speaker?   All the speakers were reset from what I was told.   I don’t believe the Samsung tablet had the music locally stored which was the original device running the Sonos speakers before they moved to the Apple iphone 13.   I was told the Samsung Tablet does not have music locally stored and that it is just on the speakers.  I will double check if that is the case again.

All playlists/settings are often stored on each/every Sonos speaker. If you reset them all you have likely wiped them/overwritten them with your new setup.

It’s a shame that you did not pop along here to the community first, before going ahead with the new setup, as all you really needed to do was just wire one speaker to your new router to provide network access to it and then change the system WiFi settings using the Sonos App, but sadly it’s sounds like the horse has already bolted on this occasion.

The method to quickly switch to a new router/wireless network is documented here for future info, or for the info of anyone else perhaps reading this thread.…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061

Thanks everyone for the updates especially John, Bruce and Ken confirming the situation here.   I will do some checks on the existing Samsung tablet and check some of the diagnostics.   I appreciate all the support and responsiveness on this community.   I will certainly leverage it in the future.