Answered

How to get Sonos support?

• 17 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I’ve had the same problem as so many others. 4 of my 8 Sonos speakers “disconnected” this week, and I cannot reconnect them. I’ve been through all the basic steps repeatedly. Restart router, factory reset speakers, “find lost speakers” thing in the app. I have been able to get some speakers reconnected for short periods, but they disconnect again. 

I spent an hour with phone support, but they simply provide all the things I’ve already tried. They don’t seem to understand the situation.

I even tried the ‘email the ceo’ link :)

I know Sonos speakers are always a major pain to get set up, but I was able to get all 8 of mine set up. I’ve been able to fix problems with periodic connectivity weirdness. But this time, I cannot fix it. 

The one thing that can make this type of situation bearable is good support. But how do you get it?

Diognostic code: 309080872

icon

Best answer by Harry Slaughter 18 August 2022, 01:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Only SONOS support has access to the diagnostic. Have you worked with the phone support?

Describe your network for us. What is wired? Wireless? What SONOS models? Router model? Any WiFi relays or mesh points? Network switches? How are you controlling the system? Have you recently replaced any network components?

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. As you have discovered, the Factory Reset rarely cures fundamental issues. 

Badge

I put the code here in case Sonos support sees this :)

I’ve got a sub, playbar and two sonos 1s downstairs. The sub is wired, all my other speakers are not. All of these speakers continue to work.

Upstairs I’ve got a pair of 5s in the living room, and a 2 Sonos3 speakers in a couple other rooms.

Aside from the occasional hiccup, all 8 speakers have been working fine for the last 4 years.

My wifi/router is a pair of eeros. A wired/master downstairs, and a wired “repeater” upstairs. There’s nothing unusual to the configuration aside from the fact that I’ve assigned a few fixed IPs to devices on the network (I’m not a networking guy. I just assigned the IPs on each device manually and hope I’m ok. The wired and wireless devices share the same subnet if that matters).

It occurred to me there is one thing that changed before the speakers stopped working. My internet (Cox) has been spotty for about a month. I’m disconnected for about 5 minutes at a time randomly throughout the day. Maybe 5-10 times a day. I wouldn’t think Sonos needs internet except to update or access streaming services. But could this cause speakers to fail to join?

PS - last night I thought I had some success using my gfs iphone (instead of my android) to reconnect speakers. I got 2 of them back online, working properly, and was working on a 3rd when all of them disconnected again.

And I’ll stop factory resetting them. It seems to make no difference.

How is your system setup? SONOS does not need Internet access to play local sources, but it does require a functional router. How is your network setup? If the EERO system is Bridged, then spotty performance by the COX gateway can cause issues. If the EERO is functioning as the router, COX doesn’t matter for local sources. Can you wire a unit other than SUB? Reserved IP addresses is the way to go. All regular network clients should have reserved addresses.

You can go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review x.x.x.x is the address of a player. Click on Network Matrix at the bottom. Red cells indicate wireless issues. Also use a controller to look at Settings → System → About My System and check that the units are using WM: 0, the private SonosNet mesh.

Badge

[SOLVED] Sorta…

Out of pure desperation, I dug into my router settings. I did a couple things. First I set reserved IPs for all the Sonos speakers that were already connected. 

Secondly, I enabled UPnP on the router and rebooted it.

Once the network was up, speakers started magically re-appearing. After this I added one more IP reservation. I have 8 speakers, but only 4 IPs, 3 of which are named SonosZP. I’m going to assume these are some sort of subnets that handle the remaining speakers.

I don’t know what fixed it, but it’s been 10 minutes working so far, and I think it’s fixed.

I’ve always been told to turn of UPnP as it was a security risk. But I’ll be leaving it on now.

Thanks @buzz for your feedback. And thanks for the tip on accessing the Sonos web interface. 

Over time, the SONOS players will show up in your router. The reboot temporarily confused the list. If you reboot the players they’ll show up. All of the players should be listed in support/review. 

Note that the Network Matrix will be useful for your models. Unfortunately, the very latest models do not report to the Matrix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Where you set the static IP addresses in your router you can also usually supply a distinct name. I have used the Room name from the Controller App there to make things less confusing.

If you look at the speaker data plate it gives you the MAC address which will help you see which is which in the Router’s DHCP settings page. Even if you can’t see the speaker listed in the DHCP settings you can still manually add the MAC, name and IP address. Once all are in power down all Sonos, reboot the router then power your Sonos back up.

And yes, Cox network problems can confuse your Sonos, Cox has bitten me here many times. Reserving IP addresses for all my Sonos devices ended the problems.

On a SONOS Phone/Pad controller you can go to Settings → System → About My System and view IP & MAC addresses. On a Windows desktop controller it’s Help → About My Sonos System… .

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Harry Slaughter 

Thanks for your post!

Glad to hear things improved for you with a simple settings change on the router. However, the Sub generally shouldn’t be ethernet-wired, and absolutely should not be the only Sonos device that is ethernet-wired.

We also don’t recommend you use a real name for your username on the community.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Enabling UPnP on your router has zero effect on Sonos (yes, it uses UPnP, but not on your router), and is indeed a security risk to leave enabled. Disable at your earliest convenience.