Question

How to endlessly play a Spotify playlist on shuffle and repeat on Sonos?

• 31 October 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

How is it possible to endlessly play a fixed Spotify playlist (or even a Sonos playlist) while having the songs on repeat and shuffle. Activating the “repeat” function worked only for some time but at one point the playlist stops playing. Is it because “repeat” function means that the whole playlist will play only 2 times?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Emvy

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I’d be glad to assist you with this query.

Each of your Sonos rooms has its own individual music queue that it uses to play your tracks, albums, and playlists. 

Once there are tracks in your queue, they can be shuffled, set to repeat, or crossfade between songs

Sonos was designed to keep playing, each player is able to access the music even if the controller that initiated the queue is turned off or moved to a different spot and even leaves the home. This is because the service information, index, playlist, and queue are stored on the Sonos hardware.

If you set the repeat mode in Sonos then it should continuously play until you stop/pause it using a controller or unplug it from power.

Quite possible that it may be out of the loop due to loss of internet connection, and if there’s a certain feature/limitation from the music service that will automatically end the loop.

What type of subscription you have from Spotify?

I’ve found this thread from the Spotify community about maximum plays, here is the link:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social/Maximum-plays/m-p/82663#M457

Hopefully, that helps, and if you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’d be glad to help.

Hey!

Thanks for your answer.

I got some useful information about how the repeat mode works. Somewhy i still experience automatic “stopping” at some point. There are 1000+ songs on the list and i would like them to play all the time until i change the playlist after every month. I will just have to keep on experimenting and observing what may affect the music playing. 

I’m using Spotify Premium. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Emvy.

Thanks for your response.

If you are still experiencing an issue, please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app when it happens and reply back with your confirmation number.   I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything under the hood causing this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.