Answered

How to clean reset my system?

Hi,

I was slowly but steadily getting more problems with Sonos. First the radio was not working when I set up my alarm clock. Then the music did not start to play from time to time. In the end the alarm clock stopped working all together (not even with the “default sound”) and it was not possible to start any music.

I was searching for updates but I got error codes 1101 all the time. I could see my speaker in the router dashboard though.

I tried a lot of “restart your router”, “restart your speaker”, “set it to fixed channels trying all the different combinations” etc. spending days on it and nothing worked. My router is a new fritz box generation with standard setup.

Eventually, I wanted to do a clean reset now and send all my speaker back to factory settings and wanted to set them up from the start.

However, I cannot. When I log into my old account it still has all my speaker listet and when I want to use it for a new setup it tells me “error 1101” again. I tried setting up a new account and it tells me “this email is already in use” for EVERY email. Even completely new ones. When I try to send myself an email with a new passwort, nothing happens.

I tried reinstalling the app and everything. WTF, seriously? Apparently you do not want me to make a clean setup because you like keeping my data, but if it interferes with me making a hard reset after the system getting worse and worse with no fix in the community, this is not acceptable.

Anything else I can try or should I just switch to another provider? I mean, this is intolerable.

Best wishes

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 6 May 2022, 21:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sure sounds like you have network issues, not Sonos issues. 

Here’s how you do a factory reset . Note: Doing a factory reset will erase any stored data on that speaker. So any log files that point to reasons why you’re getting those errors, any alarms, any playlists you have will all be erased. More often than not, they don’t fix any issues, just hide them. 

You’d probably be much better off if you would submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Oh, and if you’re having issues with your account, here’s the manage your account FAQ.

A couple of points:

• Devices remain registered against a Sonos account until they’re transferred to a new account. Factory reset is a local procedure; of itself it doesn’t erase the devices from the account.
  • Error 1101 is a network error. Packets are dropping somewhere, and connections to the Sonos servers are failing. The local network is often the culprit, though there’s a chance it could be DNS or firewall related.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Error 1101:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4908?language=en_US

Beyond that two things. I’d confirm, first that you have no filtering on your Internet connection. In my case Pi-Hole (DNS filter) can block some needed Sonos connections and must be disabled/tweaked. If using a custom DNS filter service like OpenDNS disable it for the update too.

Second, hook your speakers to Ethernet and power cycle then manually check for updates. Yes it is a pain but hopefully only a one time aggravation. In my case carrying most Sonos to my router was easy enough and Amazon (and many others) sell cheap 50 foot Ethernet cables for the stuff you don’t want to move.