Answered

how does wired network work?

I was having issues with my Apple tv And arc so I decided to try wiring my arc with Ethernet. Upon doing some googling I found out if I wire the arc it creates its own sonos wireless network to connect the other sonos speakers with instead of relying on my wifi network. 

the question I have is in this case do all sonos speakers now use the new sonos wifi created by the arc, or is it that if a sonos is out of reach of the sonos wifi it will still connect to my home wifi ? The reason I ask is that the arc is in my living room, with two ones nearby. No issues there. But I have 3 other ones that are quite far away and I cant imagine them having a stable enough wireless connection to the arc for me to use airplay without issues. 

would appreciate some guidance on this. When I go into sonos app and into system info I see all of them now on WM:0

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 May 2022, 00:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Perhaps see this support document which explains wireless and wired Sonos connections: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

the question I have is in this case do all sonos speakers now use the new sonos wifi created by the arc, or is it that if a sonos is out of reach of the sonos wifi it will still connect to my home wifi ? The reason I ask is that the arc is in my living room, with two ones nearby. No issues there. But I have 3 other ones that are quite far away and I cant imagine them having a stable enough wireless connection to the arc for me to use airplay without issues. 

would appreciate some guidance on this. When I go into sonos app and into system info I see all of them now on WM:0

If all your devices are showing WM:0 then it appears they are happy running on their internal SonosNet mesh signal… If they weren’t, they would stay/switch to your router WiFi (WM:1).

My suggestion is to also next do the following few things:

• Set your routers 2.4ghz WiFi to a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel 1,6 or 11 and choose a 20MHz channel-width
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network” so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Remove the WiFi credentials from the “Settings/System/Network” area in the App as those are not needed when running on SonosNet and it will stop your devices hopping between SonosNet and your WiFi signal, but please see my post below re: portable Sonos devices.
  • Ensure all Sonos products, particularly the wired one is at least one metre away from other Wireless devices including the router and other access points.
  • This final suggestion is optional, but often worthwhile... Consider adding the Sonos IP addresses to the local routers DHCP reservation table, as that too will improve stability, particularly during updates and reboots of the local network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can also get a snapshot of your SonosNet status from this link, once changed to your ARc’s IP. Handy for signal quality and noise.

http://0.0.0.0:1400/support/review

I have several Sonos wired to make my mesh a bit more robust. Don’t wire surrounds and Subs in most cases. You could also add a Boost to extend your SonosNet range if wiring another Sonos device isn’t possible.

I should just also mention to not remove your WiFi credentials from the Sonos App if you have a portable Sonos device in your Sonos system, either a Move or Roam, as they still need your routers WiFi signal and do not use the SonosNet mesh signal.