Answered

How do I stop my new Sonos One SL dropping off my controller?

Badge

My new Sonos One SL drops off my controller, or stops functioning on the controller like as if it loses signal. It keeps playing with my Beam and Play 1 in the other room, but at times I can’t change the volume until it finds the system again on the app. Or like just now, I go to listen to music on the One SL and it’s not on the app, unlike my Beam or Play 1. They’re only in a room next to one another, and the room that the SL is in, does not have signal issues for any other devices like an Echo Dot, mobile phones, or laptops etc.

All the devices are wireless. This is happening daily.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 April 2021, 16:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottyboi08 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I took a quick look at your recent diagnostics and it seems your Kitchen speaker (Sonos One) is connecting to your WiFi on 5GHz, whereas your other speakers are using 2.4GHz. This shouldn’t be a problem, but I think it points us in the right direction to look.

By far, the easiest fix would be to connect 1 Sonos device to the router with an ethernet cable - is your Beam close enough for this? If so, please try it out and see if it improves things in the Kitchen. Please note that you should keep your router 1m away from any WiFi devices.

You should also try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds - try this first.

Or try disabling 5 GHz in the router. Some routers can have difficulties bridging between the 2 bands.

Badge

Thanks for the response. No I wouldn’t say any of the devices could be permanently wired to the router. Maybe temporarily as a means to resolve the issue, but not permanently due to the layout of the house.

I’ve rebooted both the SL, and my router, prior to posting on here, and neither have fixed the issue.

I’m not sure how to do this, regarding the 5 GHz change. I’m quite good with tech, but admittedly not that good. So any assistance would be needed if I was to do anything like this moving forward.

You’d have to look in the routers manual how to deactivate 5 GHz. If you don’t have the manual a Google search may be helpful.

Badge

Is there a negative for doing this?

You’d have to look in the routers manual how to deactivate 5 GHz. If you don’t have the manual a Google search may be helpful.

There shouldn’t be. 5 GHz is faster than 2 GHz but 2 GHz has better coverage than 5 GHz. I doubt you’ll note the difference. However, 5 GHz tend to be less exposed to wireless interference than 2 GHz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is there a negative for doing this?

That depends on your internet connection. If it’s 70 Mbps or less, you’re unlikely to notice the difference, unless you make a lot of use of screen mirroring to your TV, or something else bandwidth-heavy and local.

If you have 1 Gbps internet (lucky you) then 2.4 Ghz will provide you with less than 1/10th of that, so disabling 5GHz would limit your access speeds.

Badge

I have around 133mbps. Just ran a check.

So not sure if that will be heavily impacted.

Now as an update, the Sonos One SL is on my controller but the other two have completely dropped off. I just ran another diagnostic 1820905494. 

Just all over the place since I got the new SL last week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottyboi08 

Ok, so 2.4 Ghz will only give you half of your total internet speed. Any ethernet-connected devices will not be affected.

Unfortunately, the BT Smart Hub 2 doesn’t allow separation of bands - all you can do is disable one completely.

I recommend that you disable 5GHz temporarily, long enough to see if that’s what the actual issue is, and then decide what to do from there.

To disable 5GHz on BT Smart Hub 2 (it looks like that’s what you’ve got) please do the following:

1. Open http://192.168.1.254 - this is the configuration page for your router. You can open this on any browser, but I recommend using a screen bigger than a phone’s.
  2. When you see the purple boxes, click on Wireless
  3. At some point (perhaps not right now) you’ll be asked for a password to log in. This can be found on a sticker on the router, and is called the Admin or Settings password
  4. You’ll see a page with details for 2.4 GHz and for 5 GHz. Turn off 5GHz only - there will be an on/off switch for it.
  5. Save your changes.

Test for a day or two until you’re happy it’s better or have determined that it hasn’t helped. If it hasn’t helped, turn 5GHz back on again. If it has helped, but you’re not happy with the loss in speed, I recommend you get in touch with BT and see if they’ll swap the router for one that can split it’s bands (like a BT Hub 6). If they refuse, you’d be better off splashing out on a 3rd-party router instead anyway. Just don’t spend less than about £60.

Best of luck and if you’re unsure about anything, just ask!

Badge

My Sonos Beam and Play 1 will no longer return.

I even reset my beam, and the controller said it won’t appear in your system tab, but is connected? It plays sound from the TV through HDMI but I can’t adjust anything on the app other than the One SL. I’m not gonna lie I never thought buying another Sonos system would make me want to get rid of them all.

It’s infuriating. The 2.4ghz change was a mess, it was so slow. I couldn’t do anything, so had to change back to 5, too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottyboi08 

Thanks for trying.

Please don’t reset Sonos products without being advised to by Sonos technical support - it only helps in very specific circumstances and comes with an inherent risk. Often, you just end up with a worse situation, like not being able to add the speaker back on due to environment issues.

Speaking of environmental issues, what is within 1m of your Beam, other than the TV? On average, whenever your Beam transmits to your router it has to repeat itself 80% of the time. This is not good, and I can see it’s not due to a weak signal.

In addition, what is near the Living Room Play:1?

Edit: And in addition to that, what’s within 1m of your router?

Badge

Hi @scottyboi08 

Thanks for trying.

Please don’t reset Sonos products without being advised to by Sonos technical support - it only helps in very specific circumstances and comes with an inherent risk. Often, you just end up with a worse situation, like not being able to add the speaker back on due to environment issues.

Speaking of environmental issues, what is within 1m of your Beam, other than the TV? On average, whenever your Beam transmits to your router it has to repeat itself 80% of the time. This is not good, and I can see it’s not due to a weak signal.

In addition, what is near the Living Room Play:1?

Edit: And in addition to that, what’s within 1m of your router?

The only things within 1m of my beam that’s a form of technology? It’s connected to my TV via hdmi. Then I’ve got my Sky box, and PS5 below the beam.

Then over the other side of the room is the play 1. That’s it?

As for the router, other than what I’ve just mentioned, it’s our bt landline phone. Then obviously when we’re sitting down we may have mobile phones and/or iPads with us.

Badge

I don’t know if these photos help. The clock photo and door of the router, is from the same standing spot, as is the tv photo, and the cabinet one (pretty much). Then I’ve shown you the router behind the door.

they’re not far apart at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @scottyboi08 - I was getting close to asking for some pictures.

I was more concerned with devices being too close to each other and interfering, than with devices being too far from the router - the signal strength from the router to the Beam is good.

Regarding the transmission retry rate, I’d like you to try turning off the Sky box and PS5 at the power for 10 minutes, play music to the Beam for those ten minutes and then submit a diagnostic - when you next reply here, I’ll compare it to the last.

I would also like to try taking the router out of Harry Potter’s bedroom, to see if that helps - try that after the Sky and PS5 steps (if practical) and send another diagnostic. It could be that load-bearing walls, or a higher amount of solid wood construction around the stairs, is surrounding the router and blocking the signals somewhat.

As for the missing Sonos One, new information has come to light. We have recently been getting reports of this same issue from other BT Smart Hub 2 owners - there seems to be a recently developed problem with them not bridging communications over the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. This explains your Sonos One being missing while connected to 5GHz. We recommend you get in touch with BT technical support and let them know that “you’ve discovered an issue whereby client devices connected to 2.4GHz (“gigahertz”) and 5GHz are unable to communicate locally, and vice versa, as if the router was erroneously activating Wireless Isolation which is not an option in the router settings”. Ask them if there is a new firmware version available for your BT Smart Hub 2 and if there isn’t one available, ask them if they can see if your router updated in the last 3 months (or however long you think this has been happening) and if so, can you roll-back to the previous version? At the very least, find out if they have acknowledged the issue and are planning an update to fix it soon.

Anyone reading this should get in touch with our technical support team before contacting BT so we can confirm the issue and we’d very much like to document it and gather data to better understand the issue.

There are two workarounds - either disable 5GHz on your BT Smart Hub 2, or wire one Sonos component to ethernet and use SonosNet. Edit: You may have to do both (SonosNet will not help Moves or Roams).

Edit: the Smart Hub 2 firmware version causing this issue is V0.26.03.01286. Not all Smart Hub 2 owners will have been issued with this version yet.

If you mention “Sonos” and issues with your speakers to BT support they’re just going to refer you back to us so please try not to, as in this instance we cannot help - other than to suggest purchasing a 3rd-party router (if you spend at least £60, you’ll get a much better router than any you will get for free from any ISP) to replace the BT one.

Please let us know how you get on.

Badge

Thanks @scottyboi08 - I was getting close to asking for some pictures.

I was more concerned with devices being too close to each other and interfering, than with devices being too far from the router - the signal strength from the router to the Beam is good.

Regarding the transmission retry rate, I’d like you to try turning off the Sky box and PS5 at the power for 10 minutes, play music to the Beam for those ten minutes and then submit a diagnostic - when you next reply here, I’ll compare it to the last.

I would also like to try taking the router out of Harry Potter’s bedroom, to see if that helps - try that after the Sky and PS5 steps (if practical) and send another diagnostic. It could be that load-bearing walls, or a higher amount of solid wood construction around the stairs, is surrounding the router and blocking the signals somewhat.

As for the missing Sonos One, new information has come to light. We have recently been getting reports of this same issue from other BT Smart Hub 2 owners - there seems to be a recently developed problem with them not bridging communications over the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. This explains your Sonos One being missing while connected to 5GHz. We recommend you get in touch with BT technical support and let them know that “you’ve discovered an issue whereby client devices connected to 2.4GHz (“gigahertz”) and 5GHz are unable to communicate locally, and vice versa, as if the router was erroneously activating Wireless Isolation which is not an option in the router settings”. Ask them if there is a new firmware version available for your BT Smart Hub 2 and if there isn’t one available, ask them if they can see if your router updated in the last 3 months (or however long you think this has been happening) and if so, can you roll-back to the previous version? At the very least, find out if they have acknowledged the issue and are planning an update to fix it soon.

Edit: We’d also like to gather data on this issue, so we’d very much like it if you could get in touch with our technical support team so they can confirm and document your issue.

If you mention “Sonos” and issues with your speakers to BT support they’re just going to refer you back to us so please try not to, as in this instance we cannot help - other than to suggest purchasing a 3rd-party router (if you spend at least £60, you’ll get a much better router than any you will get for free from any ISP) to replace the BT one.

Please let us know how you get on.

See I would do that with the router, but it’s the only place I can plug in a router (crazy I know). So not really sure what to do with that. 
As for the beam and play 1, I don’t know what’s happened but for the last 2 days, they’re no longer on my controller, and can’t be added back, as they drop off the moment they do get added back on. So now the situation has almost reversed, and all I have is the new Sonos SL on the app, and none of my other two older systems, which never had an issue before the SL arrived. So I can’t play music from the beam anymore to run this test with the sky box.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@scottyboi08

I think you should get in touch with our technical support team as they can lead you through various real-time troubleshooting steps. As this new issue - highlighted in blue above - is currently undocumented on our knowledge bases, please make sure to mention the diagnosis when you get in touch. You will likely be referred to BT, however, because if the router is not behaving as expected anything could happen. I suspect your phone might be switching WiFi bands and can only “see” the devices on the same band as it at that time.

Badge

@scottyboi08

I think you should get in touch with our technical support team as they can lead you through various real-time troubleshooting steps. As this new issue - highlighted in blue above - is currently undocumented on our knowledge bases, please make sure to mention the diagnosis when you get in touch. You will likely be referred to BT, however, because if the router is not behaving as expected anything could happen. I suspect your phone might be switching WiFi bands and can only “see” the devices on the same band as it at that time.

I was on the chat with Sonos all night last night. We got the beam and play 1 to appear again after endless reboots etc, but then it dropped off again within 5 mins and hasn’t returned since, again only leaving the SL. My controller can’t find them anymore. My BT hub shows the SL is on 5ghz and the other two are on 2.4. Not sure if that is the issue?

Anyway, they couldn’t solve it, so now I need to call the Sonos tech team. What time are they open til? I’ll do it tomorrow.

Also, BT are sending me out a disc to see if that sorts out the issue with the speakers, and will move my master socket on from the 21st for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I was on the chat with Sonos all night last night. We got the beam and play 1 to appear again after endless reboots etc, but then it dropped off again within 5 mins and hasn’t returned since, again only leaving the SL. My controller can’t find them anymore. My BT hub shows the SL is on 5ghz and the other two are on 2.4. Not sure if that is the issue?

Anyway, they couldn’t solve it, so now I need to call the Sonos tech team. What time are they open til? I’ll do it tomorrow.

Also, BT are sending me out a disc to see if that sorts out the issue with the speakers, and will move my master socket on from the 21st for me.

We are open 9-5, Mon-Fri in the UK. It’s such a new problem that the agent you speak to might not be aware of it (though there was an internal email about it today) - if this seems to be the case, ask the agent to search for “System not Found on iOS with BT Smart Hub 2”

I’m glad to hear BT will take your router out from under the stairs - once we get past this router issue, that will help WiFi in general, I feel.

To be honest, I don’t think adding a extender disk will help in the slightest, but I guess we’ll have to let them go through their process.

Badge

What I don’t understand is the Beam and Play 1 have worked perfectly when we moved in June last year. Literally since I bought the SL 2 weeks ago, everything has gone to pieces.

So it’s not the internet, it’s the SL that I believe has caused it to become unstable. This is why I said could it be that the SL is on the 5ghz frequency, and that’s why I can’t see the 2.4 devices on my Sonos controller, because it’s thinking they’re on separate channels? The beam still projects sound through the TV, just can’t control volume via the app, only the remote.

The only issue with calling between 9-5, is you’re likely to ask me to reboot the internet etc, which doesn’t help when working from home now. So not sure how I can do tech support with you, if when I finish work, you’re no longer open to take the calls?

Badge

Update: I remembered that I turned my Sonos One SL off and have kept it turned off, and then turned off the beam and play 1 this morning, and booted them both back up, and now I’ve just checked my app after writing the prior message, and low and behold, they’re both back fine. So it is the SL that is doing something to cause an issue, as the other two work fine without it turned on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Update: I remembered that I turned my Sonos One SL off and have kept it turned off, and then turned off the beam and play 1 this morning, and booted them both back up, and now I’ve just checked my app after writing the prior message, and low and behold, they’re both back fine. So it is the SL that is doing something to cause an issue, as the other two work fine without it turned on?

The Sonos One is the only Sonos device you have that’s willing to connect to 5GHz, and that’s what it’s doing. This is why it’s only this speaker that’s affected (and your iPhone, because it’s doing the same). So, if your iPhone is connected to 5GHz, you’ll presumably only see the Sonos One in the Sonos app. If your iPhone is connected to 2.4 GHz, presumably you’ll only see the Play:1 and Beam. This is a new issue, however, so some of this is supposition on my part. Which frequency band your iPhone connects to will mostly be dictated by it’s distance from the router, objects in the way (like walls) and possibly where the last successful connection to WiFi was found.

Although this seems to be the router at fault, it seems Android devices are not affected in the same way by this BT Smart Hub 2 issue, which, to be honest, is pretty weird. Presumably, that’s why we want anyone affected to call in and create a case so we can get metrics and data on the situation.

The Sonos One is the only Sonos device you have that’s willing to connect to 5GHz, and that’s what it’s doing. This is why it’s only this speaker that’s affected (and your iPhone, because it’s doing the same). So, if your iPhone is connected to 5GHz, you’ll presumably only see the Sonos One in the Sonos app. If your iPhone is connected to 2.4 GHz, presumably you’ll only see the Play:1 and Beam. This is a new issue, however, so some of this is supposition on my part. Which frequency band your iPhone connects to will mostly be dictated by it’s distance from the router, objects in the way (like walls) and possibly where the last successful connection to WiFi was found.

Although this seems to be the router at fault, it seems Android devices are not affected in the same way by this BT Smart Hub 2 issue, which, to be honest, is pretty weird. Presumably, that’s why we want anyone affected to call in and create a case so we can get metrics and data on the situation.

Hi, I’ve been directed here from another thread.  Although my problem is different to the one above, disabling 5ghz on the BT router has solved the problem. Obviously I’m now having problems with speed. 

I would also like to add that country to the above comment my problem is also affecting android version of the app. 

hope this helps in some way. 

Badge

This whole thing is ridiculous really. I’ve paid £150 for a speaker that I now don’t want to use, because the moment I switch it on, it’s going to blow my whole system. So what do I do from here? It could be months, to years, before Sonos or BT solve this issue. I would’ve been better getting another Play 1 thinking about it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottyboi08 

I completely understand how you feel, and sympathise, but Sonos cannot take responsibility for changes to 3rd-party hardware, software, or firmware changes. As mentioned, Sonos makes use of your network in ways that many devices do not, therefore our systems often highlight network issues that other devices do not. This does not mean, however, that we are culpable for those issues.

I don’t like telling people to spend more money in any situation, but if you’re looking for the quickest solution to this problem I can only recommend you replace your ISP-provided-at-the-lowest-possible-cost router for a 3rd-party device that will be more reliable. As you’re with BT, you will either need an ADSL router or configure your new router to use your existing router’s internet connection but run the local network itself. A mesh system (which expands the reach of your WiFi) will also act as a router and will also suffice (but these are typically much more expensive). If you do purchase a router, I highly recommend spending at least £60 on it (from previous personal experience) and go for a known brand.

A slower option would be to wait to see what BT are going to do - I’d certainly contact them if you haven’t already as the more people who do, the more likely they are to action a fix.

Finally, disabling 5GHz on your router, or wiring any one Sonos product to ethernet should bypass the issue for now.