How do I rename a player (not a room name)?

• 7 January 2017
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I was having this issue for awhile where the Sonos IP address kept showing in my Chromecast list. I was finally able to rename it while I found it was also listed on my PC in the Windows Explorer files tree as another connected devices. Right-click rename and your done. No need for router editing or network admin. It worked the same as renaming a PC hard drive.
I've read just about every comment in this thread. I am a new user to Sonos and like the system very much but I am having trouble setting it up. One problem I encountered was the issue of naming a device. I have to confess that I have never encountered such a confusing set of comments but maybe I've been sheltered. I still do not know what the difference is between a "room name" and the name of the the device. I suspect but do not know that there is no difference. There is just confusion in function between the two and terrible documentation. For example, is there any function associated with the room name? Why is the term "room" used at all in any of the documentation? What function does the name of the device play? One would have thought that it would uniquely name each device. It is clear that this is not the case. Apparently the system makes use of the IP address of each device. A little secret: I don't want to see, hear or need to know about IP addresses. That's for engineers. Sonos, if you are there, straighten out this mess!!
Ignore the comments about "device name", IP addresses, or routers if it does not concern you. There is only one room name, and it is set via a drop down or custom type-in box under More->Settings->Room Settings->(Room name).

The room name is what is used to denote where your speakers are located when you set up more than one. It allows you to choose rooms to play music in, group together, change volume, etc.
And to add to jgatie's excellent data, the "room name" is merely a text string to serve to identify the speaker to you. It has no real knowledge of what room it is in, you could just as easily name your speakers Bob, Ted, Carol and Alice (do I have that reference right?). What matters is that when you're using the app, you know what location and speaker your sending a command to.
The confusion in this thread is entirely the result of a few confused people talking absolute rubbish. Ignore the entire thread apart from those last two posts from @jgatie and @Airgetlam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The device name folks are talking about is the DNS, (Domain Name System) names that may or may not be assigned by your router when it assigns the Sonos device an IP address and other data.

The device name is pretty much worthless for actual use since Sonos changed their security settings so that it can't be used to access your Sonos devices. About the only use now is to allow some utility programs to show the device name rather than the IP address.

So as above:

Room name: Set in your Sonos Controller and is used by Sonos to identify the device.

Device name: Set in your Router, is pretty much ignored by Sonos and usually can be ignored by the user too.

Now on IP addresses, they are not just for engineers - they are important to users as well. While many folks just ignore them for their Sonos gear and have no issues others find glitches in their music, lost rooms or controllers acting odd or botched updates can be solved by using your router's DHCP page to assign static/reserved IP addresses to each Sonos device.

I'd say ignore the IP addresses and that possibility for now but keep it in mind if things start acting odd. It is easy to do and usually takes only a few minutes so don't be concerned about doing it.
Thanks for the helpful replies, folks. Food for thought and cleared up most of my confusion. Now it is Sonos's job to clear up its documentation and mabe, much more difficult, refine how it actually uses names of devices.
Room Name DOES NOT EQUAL Device Name. They are two different things. Yes, most people don't care about the device name, but some do, including me. So, I have figured this out - at least for my situation. I am using a set of new Sonos One devices. If you are going for a pure wi-fi based setup, and you configure your new Sonos with the "Airplay Accessory Setup" via an IOS app, the setup screen on that includes a field "Accessory Name" I think it was called - it defaults to "Sonos One Black" and it isn't obvious that you can edit it. BUT YOU CAN. You just put a name in there and THAT is the name the Sonos reports as a hostname to your router. SOURCE: I just did this on 3 different new Sonos One devices, and they are all reporting the name I chose in that screen to my router. You do not need to mess with DHCP reservations.
Following up to my own post - the Airplay Accessory Setup only seems to appear for the first Sonos Device joining a Controller. When you bring up a second speaker, it's discovered and tied in to the network without the Airplay setup screen and you do NOT get a chance to set a name. You wind up with SonosZP as the device name.