How do I rename a player (not a room name)?

• 7 January 2017
  • 34 replies

When setting up my Sonos (first time user). I named the actual speaker what should have been the room name. When I look at my router I can see what devices are connected to my router. I now unfortunately see the player named as the room. I can edit the room name (as many people have helped provide instructions for). But I actually want to rename my sonos player's names so I can recognise them on the router wifi.

I am guessing, I could possibly do a factory reset on one of the speakers as the settings.

So in summary, need to change one of my two Play 1 speakers not the room.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Do not factory reset. The room name is the speaker name. I am afraid i have no idea what your question means.
When setting up the first player I was prompted to name the speaker which I did. Then prompted to name the room. Just happened to be the same name (Study).

2nd speaker I left the name as default and named the next room Kitchen.

On my router I see Study and an IP address. Also SonosZP and an IP address.

If I had two speakers in the Study each speaker would have its own IP address.

I am trying to correct or provide meaningful names to each speaker so my admin console in my wifi router makes sense.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Sonos doesn't ask you to choose a network name, only a room name. You should have only been asked to choose a name one time. You can't change the network name on the player, but perhaps you can on your router?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When I was setting up my speakers, I was only ever prompted for room name. In order to differentiate them on my router, I set up DHCP reservations for each one, then put an appropriate hostname for each speaker in the reservation settings (Sonos' default is just sonoszp).

This also gives me the benefit of knowing that if I reboot my router, my Sonos gear will all get the same IP addresses again, and nothing else will be given those IP addresses. This reduces the likelihood of me needing to reboot my whole network just because I reboot my router.
I do see SonosZP for one speaker but the other has the room name. Not sure how it happened. Anyway will probably consider a factory reset. Too new to really lose any data. Would really like to be able to easily identify whatever speakers are which. Will look at using there Mac address.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You may have named the Sonos player in your router settings for that device
No, I would have remembered doing that.
Userlevel 2
Badge
But you can change the room name to whatever you want.......thus Mickey speaker L because there is a limit in text string something like "Living Room Left" is too long but "Living Room L" is fine...
The only name you can give a speaker in Sonos itself is the Room Name. There simply isn't any other type of name in Sonos itself. That is why a factory reset will not help at all, as far as I can see.
Cool. Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Maybe I do not understand the question? I have my speakers named after my kids name in their rooms. Under room settings you can name the speaker whatever you want.
When i go to settings i do not see any option named room settings. What am I missing?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I think the question is more specifically referring to what the OP sees when logging into the control panel of the router and the name the SonosPlayers present to the router.

I am not aware of any method to "name" a speaker within the Sonos Software - so am uncertain how the perception of having the Sonos Speaker identify itself uniquely on the network occurred. For me, each identified itself as SonosZP I think... However, I have, indeed, labelled each device on my router - doing so as I provided each a unique assigned IP addresses (I highly recommend doing this to avoid IP conflicts on the network in the future.)

I should edit... you can obviously in the player assign a "room name" to each speaker, or set of speakers (L+R bonded pair, or 5.1 bonded set)
When i go to settings i do not see any option named room settings. What am I missing?Possibly, you are missing a fully supported controller. What device are you using and what operating system is it running? Alternatively you may not have everything on your Sonos system on the same version. Check for updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Mine have always just said the Sonoszp name on the router. When I go to do the IP address reservation on the router it lets me give it a real name then in the router. You may not remember doing it go in and redo the IP address reservation on he speaker in their router and at the time you do that give it the name you want. Whether or not you did it before that will allow you to change in the router the network name.
There still should be an option for us to change the hostname the Sonos devices send to the DHCP server.
Badge
I have five of the Sonos speakers, all purchased and set up 13 months ago....and I have the same issue. After setting up the first one I realized I might ultimately make some placement changes so I vaguely recall doing something different or skipping a naming portion during set up. And now I have one that reads as "Sonos: Kitchen" and four that read as "SonosZP" on my AirPort router.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone 🙂
I set up for the first time yesterday and have the same issue multiple names show for single Sonos one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Use your router's static MAC to IP address mapping function and add a unique name for each device.

If you don't want issues when you move them about use the last 4 of the MAC address so you have Sonos-E9-4D, Sonos-E4-3A and so forth. The MAC is on the label to help you keep which is which straight.
How do you change the room name???
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
More/Settings/Room Settings then it's in that menu as Room Name.
Keithmac nailed it. And if you name the players by common room names (Kitchen, Living Room, Bedroom, etc.) the controller adds little icons next to the names (fork and knife, couch, bed). It's the little things...
Badge
Actually the “little things” would be the player identifying itself to the router to save someone having to go through multiple players...then run back to their router software to map each one properly. I have more than 10 players and a few other devices that don’t identify themselves properly (the smart home is not that smart yet) when i’m Looking at a network map of 20 plus Unidentified devices and trying to find out which one is causing the hassle it would be helpful to know what type of device it is and which one it may be to start the troubleshooting process. To give a for instance..... one device might be slamming the network, probably faster to say sonos master bedroom is the culprit rather than have Sherlock Holmes come by to tell me which MAC address belongs to which player/lightbulb/voip unit. It also makes it more helpful for qos assignment.

I have an isp router.....take a guess what chances I have of getting into it and assigning labels to MAC address’s? (Slim left town on the last bus.) not everyone has the free time to run all over their houses like a demented demon to do something that should take care of itself.

Sonos and the “internet of things” is not that new so “the little things” should have been thought of and applied by now.
I have an isp router.....take a guess what chances I have of getting into it and assigning labels to MAC address’s? (Slim left town on the last bus.) not everyone has the free time to run all over their houses like a demented demon to do something that should take care of itself..Well that may be true. But I just went into my ISP router (a BT home hub 6) and without leaving my chair changed a few labels to something meaningful. To identify the speakers I just matched the IP address against what is shown in 'About My Sonos System'. Every router varies, but it seems to me a trivially easy 5 minute one-off task in my case, (I think the labels will stick to devices even if IP addresses are unreserved and could change, although I haven't tested that.)

I might also add that I have been using Sonos for 6 years without having a situation where I have wanted / needed to identify which device was which in my router.
When I was setting up my speakers, I was only ever prompted for room name. In order to differentiate them on my router, I set up DHCP reservations for each one, then put an appropriate hostname for each speaker in the reservation settings (Sonos' default is just sonoszp).

This also gives me the benefit of knowing that if I reboot my router, my Sonos gear will all get the same IP addresses again, and nothing else will be given those IP addresses. This reduces the likelihood of me needing to reboot my whole network just because I reboot my router.

Yes, Mike I agree with you. When setting up two Play:5’s, I was just prompted with a Room Name (for example Lounge, Lounge 2 etc) for each speaker. Then I later paired them with a unique room name, like 'Lounge' or 'Living Room'.

In my router, I added each speaker individually to the DHCP Reservation table, giving them a static IP address and an identifiable name in the process... 'ZP5-Lounge-L' and 'ZP5-Lounge-R'.