Answered

How do I get new IPhone to connect to Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have had Sonos working using my old iPhone for 3 years.

I recently upgraded the handset and have had nothing but issues with the Sonos connection.

I have rebooted the router and reset the Sonos App many times.

Sometimes it will eventually find my speakers only to drop them again the following day.

I still have my old phone and it connects ok.

IT is really getting on my nerves now - it seems nothing but issues!  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 April 2021, 11:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you permit the Sonos app to connect to devices on your network? Is it your phone or your employer’s?

Userlevel 1
Badge

personal phone - not business

yes I gave permission and on occasions it has deigned to connect but then it looses it again

I have a strong wifi signal and have tried all the usual things - it is just so frustrating - I am resorting to keeping my old phone charged just so I can use Sonos

The new phone always picks up the Move on Bluetooth though

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Duffer56 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Do you, by any chance, have a BT Smart Hub 2?

If so, please check my post on this related thread (specifically, the part highlighted in blue):

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Thank you so much for the link - I have just contacted BT and read out the notes in the thread (copied below).

I recently upgraded to Halo 3+ and that is when my issues started.

BT are going to send out a new Smart Hub 2 but are at least now doing something about it and hopefully I can get it resolved as it has been the most frustrating thing ever!

Fingers crossed!

Thanks you so much for the link!

“As for the missing Sonos One, new information has come to light. We have recently been getting reports of this same issue from other BT Smart Hub 2 owners - there seems to be a recently developed problem with them not bridging communications over the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. This explains your Sonos One being missing while connected to 5GHz. We recommend you get in touch with BT technical support and let them know that “you’ve discovered an issue whereby client devices connected to 2.4GHz (“gigahertz”) and 5GHz are unable to communicate locally, and vice versa, as if the router was erroneously activating Wireless Isolation which is not an option in the router settings”. Ask them if there is a new firmware version available for your BT Smart Hub 2 and if there isn’t one available, ask them if they can see if your router updated in the last 3 months (or however long you think this has been happening) and if so, can you roll-back to the previous version? At the very least, find out if they have acknowledged the issue and are planning an update to fix it soon.

Anyone reading this should get in touch with our technical support team before contacting BT so we can confirm the issue and we’d very much like to document it and gather data to better understand the issue.

There are two workarounds - either disable 5GHz on your BT Smart Hub 2, or wire one Sonos component to ethernet and use SonosNet.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Duffer56 

You are very welcome! I feel I should warn you that we believe this is due to a recent firmware update on BT Smart Hub 2s, so your replacement may work for a time - right up until it downloads the new update. Hopefully, your replacement won’t come with that software version and BT have blocked the updates due to the issues reported.

Fingers crossed!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hallelujah!!

I reported the fault (using the crib sheet above) and got sent a new BT Smart Hub 2. I was advised by the BT guy to so a factory reset when it arrived - which I did.

I don’t want to tempt fate but I reinstalled Sonos and it has been working fine for the last 2 days!!

Thank you so much!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Duffer56 

Fantastic! I’m glad to hear things are better - thanks for the update!

You’re very welcome!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh my! Spoke too soon! Sonos worked fine for a few days - then lo and behold! I started not being able to connect to some of the speakers - I have 5 speakers plus Move and on my iPhone it showedd 1 and Move, on my iPad it shows all of them, then within an hour I couldn’t get any connection at all on my iPhone. I had by BT upgraded to get faster speeds so I don’t want to disconnect the faster speed and  I don’t have the will to go through that all again so I have resorted to wiring in one speaker to the hub!

I do wish BT (and/or Sonos) would get their act together. The whole purpose of having hassle free music in all my rooms is for relaxation and destressing! Certainly NOT the case lately!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update to last post! I have just spoken to BT and they are now going to send out another hub but a Hub 6 - which they admit themselves doesn’t have the ‘known’ issues that the Hub-2 has.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Duffer56 

Update to last post! I have just spoken to BT and they are now going to send out another hub but a Hub 6 - which they admit themselves doesn’t have the ‘known’ issues that the Hub-2 has.

I’m not sure what’s better than “Fantastic” - maybe “Superlative”? Either way, this is a Good Thing!

The Home Hub 6 is a different beast and won’t be getting that problematic firmware. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Our main, “official” thread on this topic is here: