Answered

How do I fix 'Unable to play xxx ... the connection to yyy was lost' errors

• 7 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 13 replies

Hi, as per the Title, in the last week my Sonos system has started giving me that notorious error message every time I try to play something new, from any of my sources (Spotify/BBC Sounds / Pocket Cast etc).

But - and this is the key thing. After I get the error message, if I try to play the stream again, *it works*.

So my Sonos setup is still working, it’s just become really annoying as when I move from room to room (I have 7 Sonos speakers across 6 rooms + a Roam) I get the same error message when I start a new stream, and then I have to press play again for the stream to start.

It was working fine until last week, and I hadn’t changed anything about my network or setup to cause this (to my knowledge!)

I have a Virgin 500M fibre connection, and an Asus ZenWifi XT8 mesh system. The Sonos Beam in the lounge is connected via ethernet directly to router, and the rest are on SonosNet (apart from the Roam, obviously).

I have tried all the usual troubleshooting steps - restart router, restart all Sonos speakers individually, reset my controller, reauthorise streaming services etc etc.

I even played around with router DNS settings (switching to Google DNS from ISP-assigned DNS) to see if that did anything. The Asus router’s fancy stuff like firewall, QoS and AiMesh have all been switched off, router restarted, and no improvement.

Hoping that someone may be able to help take a look at my diagnostics or otherwise let me know if there’s something obvious that I’ve missed!?

With many thanks in advance ...

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 September 2022, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It is entirely possible that you’re dealing with wifi interference from outside your network. I’d be tempted to try switching the channel on your router. But Asus is also well known to cause issues, you may also want to check the router incompatibility FAQ, and see if there’s something there.

Finally, this community site has only a few moderators to manage the entire number of people who post here. You’ve not provided the diagnostic number for them to reference, but you may want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss your diagnostic, as the folks there do have the task of responding to diagnostic numbers, when they’re supplied with one. 

Badge

Thanks Bruce,

I used WiFi Analyzer to ensure that SonosNet is on the channel with least interference (11).

Here’s my diagnostic code:

Badge

Also, I long ago switched off ‘Airtime fairness’ on the router, which is the solution listed in the incompatibility database that you linked to, because I was having trouble with initial setup when I got the router a year ago.

Since Sonos support doesn’t hang around on these boards, we’ll need to wait for a Forum Moderator to have time to look at that diagnostic. There’s no guaranty that it will be soon, or later. As always, your best bet to contact Sonos Support themselves is to call them directly to discuss it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Keep in mind WiFi analyzers only analyze WiFi signals, many other systems (including Sonos) use the same channels and won’t show up on the analyzer.

Unless you can find an RF (radio frequency) analyzer you are pretty much reduced to trying channels 1, 6 and 11 and going with the one that works best.