Question

how do I find the MAC address for my units?

• 22 August 2015
  • 9 replies

I recently moved into my college dorm and for electronics that we bring in we have to register our units MAC address in order to use them with the network, but I cant find the address for either my Bridge or Play:1

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The serial number on your unit should be the mac address

The serial number should be in format

#### AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-##
Mac address is AA:BB:CC: DD:EE:FF
Hi rKeeler,

Did this integration for Sonos work? Did you use it wirelessly or wired? I'm going to try to hook up my kids at college in a few days, and looking for any learnings. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Most college dorms have issue when it comes to Sonos.

#1 - you can setup Play:5 at home and set it to autoplay so that if you connect by wire an iPhone etc.

#2 - most likely won't be able to get an internet connection directly wiring to Ethernet or wifi because requires login. You can get what is called a travel router which allows you to login the homepage of the college service and create a new wifi that utilizes the school internet (some schools frown on students setting up their own wifi router though).
Thanks for the reply. It seems most colleges have manual registration processes for connecting a device that does not have a browser to integrate to the network (like a Roku or Apple TV), but I presume the issue is your controlling device (laptop or phone) won't be on the same network? What is your option #1 above? I'm not sure I understand how that would work at a college.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you set the Play:5 to autoconnect - you can hook a wire to it and just play music from your device (with wire - like headphones).

Yes question is if the devices will actually speak to each other via school system. There are all sort of issues doing that way. Now with Sonosnet you can have android device speak directly with the speaker and not via the school system. Such as if the sonos speaker can get internet connection via the school network then android device connect direct to speaker via sonosnet signal.

I still like the travel router and having my own network.
The serial number on your unit should be the mac address

The serial number should be in format

#### AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-##
Mac address is AA:BB:CC: DD:EE:FF

Hey THIS WORKED PERFECT !!!
Thanks for the reply. It seems most colleges have manual registration processes for connecting a device that does not have a browser to integrate to the network (like a Roku or Apple TV), but I presume the issue is your controlling device (laptop or phone) won't be on the same network? What is your option #1 above? I'm not sure I understand how that would work at a college.

Hey the first response on this post worked for me in college !
I recently moved into my college dorm and for electronics that we bring in we have to register our units MAC address in order to use them with the network, but I cant find the address for either my Bridge or Play:1

Are you still having this issue ?
Hi I’m having trouble setting up my sonos play 1