Answered

How can I see if a Boost is working?

• 11 September 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a system of four Symfonisk speakers. Three wireless and one wired (in my home office), using BT home internet without a home phone. 

The wired speaker works perfectly, but the wireless ones drop on and off the network constantly - particularly the one  in the kitchen - the one I use most. The app regularly says it cannot find or connect with the device, and streaming content regularly cuts and/or drops. Or simply just stops for no reason. 

I just bought a Boost to improve things, but it hasn’t really changed anything. I added it following the instructions and relocated it between the router and the kitchen.  The Kitchen speaker - although less than three metres away and even when directly in line of sight - still drops on and off. 

Questions:

1. How do I know if the Kitchen speaker is even connecting to the boost? And if not, how do I make it connect  I have cycled power on it several times.

1. I feel like I should re-add all the speakers but can’t find a way remove them. Is there a way to do this and will it help?
  2. How can I just get this darn system to work properly? Hundreds of pounds invested and it doesn’t work. 

thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 September 2021, 21:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

After spending three (yes three) solid hours on the phone with excellent techs at Sonos we established that a WiFi extender at the far end of my network - I thought it was out of range of all products - was causing interference on the SonosNet network. Worked back from scratch and the network seems to be working properly  - most of the time. Had my first drop out while typing this! 
Still concerned about a switch in my office. Hope to resolve that soon with a second router. 
Amazing range on the Boost. Reaches right to the end of the yard about 30 metres from my BT router! 

Not the first time, I had the same issue when I originally looked for mine ;)

One of the things I learned later on was the goal isn’t really to get everything ‘green’ on the matrix. It’s just about getting no drops in the stream, and certain devices will still end up being ‘not green’.

Also, the Matrix is a fairly old tool, and not all new Sonos devices report properly to it. I don’t know particularly about your Symfonisks .

Ok. I have just worked out they are hyper links (facepalm). 

Hi. 

Thanks for the input. 

Following your guidance, I see that all speakers and the Boost are on WM: 0. 

I have tried to check the Network Matrix, but the results don't seem to match your description. 

Based on performance, I am still not sure that the Boost is either working correctly or contributing to improving connectivity, but this matrix would surely help. 

Thanks

Don’t Factory Reset anything without further consult.

Go to Settings → System → About My System. Each player and the BOOST has an entry showing its connection method. WM: 0 is SonosNet, WM: 1 is WiFi, and WM:2 is a private wireless connection for SUB’s and surround speakers. BOOST is effective only for WM: 0 units.

You can also go to http://[IP address of a player]:1400/support/review and check the Network Matrix at the bottom. Red cells in the left column are indicating potential issues. Note that this is a static view. If you change something or want to follow a dynamic issue, refresh the page. On the Network Matrix you can see signal levels between BOOST and the other units.