Question

HomeKit & Beam - Unable to add

• 10 December 2019
  • 10 replies

Dear support

I wonder if you can help me troubleshoot the issue with HomeKit. 

I bought a new Beam and tried to add it into HomeKit; however, I got an error saying “Unable to connect to “Sonos Beam”.

What am I doing wrong, please?

Mike

10 replies

I much prefer Alexa with Sonos as that assistant can be installed directly to the speaker and will group speakers etc. without having to use the Sonos App.

In fact I use Siri, Alexa and Google voice assistants, as they each seem to bring different things to home automation these days.

You make a good point Ken about the different assistants bringing different capabilities.

Although I’m quite invested in the Apple eco-system we were an Alexa household with 5 Echos however my concerns with respect to Amazon (and Google’s) privacy practices mean I don’t want to expand my Alexa devices (e.g. Ring doorbells or video camera) but instead move to Apple’s “on device” model for assistants (rather than Amazon and Google’s “in cloud” model).

Although Alexa is very capable and flexible I am happy to trade this for the less capable but more private Apple Home / Siri ecosystem.

Thanks again Ken for all your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

How do you connect Play 1 and Playbar to HomeKit?

I was able to add Sonos one

eurochez,

Reboot the main router, power off/on the Beam and also reboot your iOS device and then try the HomeKit accessory-setup process again. That usually works, but ensure all devices are using (connected to) the actual main router and not some other wireless access point, or hub and that the connections are not 'isolated' from the rest of the LAN.

hmm OK so my iOS device (iPhone 11 Pro), Apple TV and Sonos Beam are all on the same WiFi and subnet.

I factory re-set my Beam, I deleted the iOS app and still cannot add it to my Apple Home :frowning2:

Although I can see the Beam as an Airplay 2 device, I also don’t get Siri as a voice service that I can add to the Beam...is that normal?

thanks!

OK so the one thing I had not done is re-booted my phone and as Ken mentioned in another thread this was the magic trick that let me add it to my Home so it now works!

Also having read around the forums I believe I misunderstood Siri support - you cannot use a Sonos device as a Siri personal assistant - you can only do this with a Homepod.

OK so the one thing I had not done is re-booted my phone and as Ken mentioned in another thread this was the magic trick that let me add it to my Home so it now works!

Also having read around the forums I believe I misunderstood Siri support - you cannot use a Sonos device as a Siri personal assistant - you can only do this with a Homepod.

Glad to hear you got things sorted in the end. 👍

I don’t think Apple allow Siri on any third party hardware, but you can obviously still talk to Siri via any recent Apple product and play music to your Sonos accessory speaker and any rooms grouped with that speaker via the Sonos App. 

I much prefer Alexa with Sonos as that assistant can be installed directly to the speaker and will group speakers etc. without having to use the Sonos App.

In fact I use Siri, Alexa and Google voice assistants, as they each seem to bring different things to home automation these days.

I have the same issue - Home iOS app can see my Beam but will not add it...

This isn’t actually the support area, it’s a community forum. You could contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

eurochez,

...ensure all devices are using (connected to) the actual main router ... and that the connections are not 'isolated' from the rest of the LAN.

I wonder whether this might have something to do with it - I run 2 separate VLANs and 2 separate WiFi SSIDs and put all my IoT devices on a segregated LAN however my iOS device and the Apple TV that controls my HomeKit is also on that segregated LAN...

eurochez,

...ensure all devices are using (connected to) the actual main router ... and that the connections are not 'isolated' from the rest of the LAN.

I wonder whether this might have something to do with it - I run 2 separate VLANs and 2 separate WiFi SSIDs and put all my IoT devices on a segregated LAN however my iOS device and the Apple TV that controls my HomeKit is also on that segregated LAN...

Yes, that will likely be the issue. I would put things on the same subnet and see if that resolves things for you.