Answered

High pitch noise from Playbar

• 7 July 2019
  • 6 replies

I recently moved house and when I set up my existing Playbar and Sub the Playbar has developed a constant high pitch noise which was never there previously. The noise is present when the Playbar is idle and also both when playing audio from my TV or music from my iPhone. I have not changed anything about my set up, it’s the same TV, Blu-ray player and Set Top Box, just in a new location. I have checked all of the systems and the noise is definitely coming from my Playbar, the only thing that stops it is if I turn my Playbar off at the mains. I have also linked my Playbar up to a different TV on its own, but the high pitch noise is still present. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has had this issue and recommendations on how to resolve it as the high pitch noise is very distracting so I have had to disconnect my sonos system at present. Many thanks
icon

Best answer by buzz 7 July 2019, 18:11

I assume that this noise does not track the Volume control. If so, there is a physical problem with the unit and you will need to work with SONOS support. You might be able to locate a point of origin for this sound.
View original

6 replies

I assume that this noise does not track the Volume control. If so, there is a physical problem with the unit and you will need to work with SONOS support. You might be able to locate a point of origin for this sound.
Hi Buzz, many thanks for your rapid reply. You’re correct, the noise is always present and doesn’t change irrespective of lowering or raising the volume. At normal volume you can hear the high pitch noise, but if you do turn the volume up it will eventually get ‘drowned out’ by the sound of the TV or music. I will phone SONOS support tomorrow. Many thanks
Hi there did you manage to solve this problem? I have just done exactly the same as yourself moving home and setting up and since turning on there is the high pitch noise. Would appreciate if you could let me know the outcome. Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi there did you manage to solve this problem? I have just done exactly the same as yourself moving home and setting up and since turning on there is the high pitch noise. Would appreciate if you could let me know the outcome. Thanks

The only resolution I've ever seen is that the playbar is toast. Best to contact support, work with them and they usually offer a discount on a refurb replacement

Hi everyone, I have some great news! I have finally figured out why my Sonos sound bar makes a high pitched sound. Having moved house 4 times in the last 2 years I couldn’t work out why sometimes the sound bar made a high pitched sound and sometimes not.  The answer in my case is it’s proximity to the TV. On occasions when I have installed the TV on the wall higher above the Sonos sound bar I have not experienced the high pitched sound. When I have fixed the TV at a lower level i.e. closer to the sound bar the high pitched sound is present.

I moved house just a few days ago and eventually stumbled across the solution by picking up the Sound bar and moving it away from the TV. Hey presto the high pitched sound went away.

I hope this resolves the problem for all. Happy listening :-)

My (almost) 5 year old Playbar just started doing this.  The noise was present all the time.  I was gutted.  However….

I contacted Sonos support via Facebook messenger. 

Within an hour they got back to me and asked me to upload a video of the issue (a close up of my noisy Playbar).  I did and (again within an hour) they got back to me saying they had watched my video and that I could get a replacement Playbar at no cost to me and sent me details on how to post my broken one back (again at no cost to me).  All this on a Sunday evening.

A week or so later I have a brand new replacement Playbar!!

Fantastic customer service.  I cannot fault Sonos and the support they gave me for this issue.