hey google play bbc radio 4..

• 15 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Q: "hey Google play BBC radio 4"

G: "playing BBC radio 4 on tunein"

Q: "hey Google what's this?"

G: "you are listening to BBC radio 4 extra on tunein"

this started happening about 2 months ago on all Sonos products I own, Beam and Ones.

Can somebody at Sonos please fix the mapping mistake? BBC radio 4 extra is not BBC radio 4.

the work around is to use your phone to select radio 4 not extra), then use voice control to

Q: "hey google stop"

and 

Q: "hey Google continue"

it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Please see Changes to BBC Radio on TuneIn | BBC Sounds

You can use Sonos Radio or refer to my post here: Step by Step Guide to Play BBC Radio Station via Voice Control | Sonos Community

thanks for this, but this is unrelated to my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks for this, but this is unrelated to my post.

BBC Radio 4 is not available via TuneIn and voice control, therefore Google will go for something that is as a close a match as it thinks..  Can you elaborate what’s different in your situation?

thanks again for your response! And thanks for writing such a useful tip and trick. I’m sure this is just a communication issue, so please bear with me.

As your post does not explicitly mention “BBC Radio 4” I had discounted it because the basic premise of your post, which I take to be:

BBC Radio doesn’t work with voice control

..seems untrue - I can get BBC Radio with voice control with my Sonos devices. I even mention this in my original question:

I ask for “BBC Radio 4” and I get “BBC Radio 4 Extra” - which is a BBC Radio station, via voice control..

So I’m looking to understand why BBC Radio 4 is mapped to BBC Radio 4 Extra whilst eg. BBC Radio 3 works just fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No problem :) The BBC Sounds skill enables the control via voice by Alexa but I’m not sure of the GA equivalent. The reason for mentioning TuneIn is because GA has chosen a station from it.  Alexa has the ability to set a default music service is this possible in GA?

I ask for “BBC Radio 4” and I get “BBC Radio 4 Extra” - which is a BBC Radio station, via voice control..

So I’m looking to understand why BBC Radio 4 is mapped to BBC Radio 4 Extra whilst BBC Radio 3 works just fine. 

This ‘mapping’ is undertaken by Google and Amazon, rather than Sonos I believe.  When BBC Radio 3 works, is that from TuneIn?

Good questions, I’ll post some examples tonight, including my original issue.

​​​​Evidence:

1. Youtube video of hey google play bbc radio 4
  2. Youtube video of hey google play bbc radio 3

Also reported to Google via feedback and Tunein (/home devices/Sonos!) via their website.

I reported this issue to TuneIn and received the following response:

Hello Adam,

Thank you writing to us.

We already report this case to Sonos but there's no timeline.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Mark

Is there any chance someone from Sonos could give an update?

thanks.

Adam

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is there any chance someone from Sonos could give an update?

thanks.

Adam

You’ll need to wait until Monday now, as the forums aren’t monitored by Sonos employees over the weekend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All,

I have no news to share on this as of yet, unfortunately.