Question

hey google play bbc radio 4..

• 15 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Q: "hey Google play BBC radio 4"

G: "playing BBC radio 4 on tunein"

Q: "hey Google what's this?"

G: "you are listening to BBC radio 4 extra on tunein"

this started happening about 2 months ago on all Sonos products I own, Beam and Ones.

Can somebody at Sonos please fix the mapping mistake? BBC radio 4 extra is not BBC radio 4.

the work around is to use your phone to select radio 4 not extra), then use voice control to

Q: "hey google stop"

and 

Q: "hey Google continue"

it.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Please see Changes to BBC Radio on TuneIn | BBC Sounds

You can use Sonos Radio or refer to my post here: Step by Step Guide to Play BBC Radio Station via Voice Control | Sonos Community

thanks for this, but this is unrelated to my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks for this, but this is unrelated to my post.

BBC Radio 4 is not available via TuneIn and voice control, therefore Google will go for something that is as a close a match as it thinks..  Can you elaborate what’s different in your situation?

thanks again for your response! And thanks for writing such a useful tip and trick. I’m sure this is just a communication issue, so please bear with me.

As your post does not explicitly mention “BBC Radio 4” I had discounted it because the basic premise of your post, which I take to be:

BBC Radio doesn’t work with voice control

..seems untrue - I can get BBC Radio with voice control with my Sonos devices. I even mention this in my original question:

I ask for “BBC Radio 4” and I get “BBC Radio 4 Extra” - which is a BBC Radio station, via voice control..

So I’m looking to understand why BBC Radio 4 is mapped to BBC Radio 4 Extra whilst eg. BBC Radio 3 works just fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No problem :) The BBC Sounds skill enables the control via voice by Alexa but I’m not sure of the GA equivalent. The reason for mentioning TuneIn is because GA has chosen a station from it.  Alexa has the ability to set a default music service is this possible in GA?

I ask for “BBC Radio 4” and I get “BBC Radio 4 Extra” - which is a BBC Radio station, via voice control..

So I’m looking to understand why BBC Radio 4 is mapped to BBC Radio 4 Extra whilst BBC Radio 3 works just fine. 

This ‘mapping’ is undertaken by Google and Amazon, rather than Sonos I believe.  When BBC Radio 3 works, is that from TuneIn?

Good questions, I’ll post some examples tonight, including my original issue.

​​​​Evidence:

1. Youtube video of hey google play bbc radio 4
  2. Youtube video of hey google play bbc radio 3

Also reported to Google via feedback and Tunein (/home devices/Sonos!) via their website.