Help troubleshooting our system

• 30 April 2021
  • 2 replies

I need help troubleshooting an annoying issue with our Sonos setup. 
We have 9 different Sonos units: 3 Ones, 1 One SL, 1 Five, 3 Playbars (one with a sub, one with two side speakers).
It seems like every few months the system starts to bug out, music won't play on the speakers I try to play it on, for example, I'll select Dining Rooms 1, 2 and 3 to play music, the app will show music playing on all 3 but it'll only be playing on one or two of them. 
I'll start to get get error messages trying to play music from pandora "Not authorized to play pandora" despite it working every other time. Error messages from music off Napster. Sonos will start playing the song, then give me a "not authorized" message and skip to the next song, just to repeat each song it's skipped to.
The only way to fix this is to go and unplug every Sonos unit, restart my internet, then go plug all the Sonos back in. This only solves the issue for a few months when all the above issues start up again and I have to reset everything.
Is this just a normal part of owning Sonos? Is there something I should be doing to prevent this or a better way to fix this? 

All units are over wifi. We have google mesh wifi, 3 units throughout our house.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hi @scottgilbert43, welcome to the community.

The issues you’ve described here are not normal, nor should you expect them as the typical experience when using Sonos. I recommend submitting a system diagnostic when you experience this next before doing anything to rectify it, and getting in touch with our customer care team. They have the tools at hand to take a deeper look at your system and work with you to resolve any issues that may be occurring. 

You should definitely submit the diagnostic, but there are certain features of the Google mesh that make life difficult for Sonos when it is run in fully wifi mode.  For example, the satellites may not all use the same wireless channel, and the user has no control over these.  This can hamper optimal data transfer between Sonos players.

You may wish to try, experimentally, wiring one speaker to the primary Google puck so that Sonos uses its own mesh, SonosNet, on a single band.

But whether or not you try this, please submit the diagnostic as suggested by @James L.