Help! "There is no shared folder on the computer"

Badge
Been using Sonos for years on my PC with literally Zero issues or hiccups.

However, today the controller/app on my PC updated to the latest software and now it says that it can't add my music folder because "There is no shared folder on the computer"

I haven't changed any firewall settings or anything either. I also found an article on enabling SMB and I did that and it still doesn't solve the problem.

Have also unplugged everything including router/modem and the bridge and speaker.

I'm losing my mind over this.

If any Sonos employee is on this forum I sent in a Diagnostic Report and my confirmation number is 411013128

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

From v8.6 Sonos hasn't required SMB on the PC since it installs its own HTTP server. (https://www.sonos.com/software/release/8-6)

As I understand it, you would need to remove and re-add the music folder using the Desktop controller.
Badge
From v8.6 Sonos hasn't required SMB on the PC since it installs its own HTTP server. (https://www.sonos.com/software/release/8-6)

As I understand it, you would need to remove and re-add the music folder using the Desktop controller.

]

So then why can't I select my music folder and get it to work then?

I haven't even messed with SMB or anything.. Was using my default settings this whole time from when I bought my Sonos 5+ years ago.

Now after the update it's saying there's no shared folder
Did you remove the pointer to the folder in the Sonos app, and add it back in, as ratty suggested?
Badge
Did you remove the pointer to the folder in the Sonos app, and add it back in, as ratty suggested?

That's the whole point of my thread. I CAN NOT ADD A FOLDER to my music library. Period.

I keep getting the error message "There is no shared folder on this computer"

My music folder has been the same and has been working for 6+ years now.

Now all the sudden it says it wont work and removes my folder and wont let me add the folder back or any other folder on my PC.

IDK what else to do. Support won't email me back or post in this thread.
It's the weekend, and Sonos support isn't here in the forums, or on the phones during the weekend. Have you tried contacting their twitter account, which is indeed 24/7?

Or you can wait until Monday and call them, and speak with someone directly.
Badge
It's the weekend, and Sonos support isn't here in the forums, or on the phones during the weekend. Have you tried contacting their twitter account, which is indeed 24/7?

Or you can wait until Monday and call them, and speak with someone directly.

Oh wow I'm an idiot. Got my days mixed up thinking today was Monday.

Yea I can wait it out I suppose. Just nerve racking that I can't play my music anymore on something I paid good money for.
Completely understood. Hang in there, They'll get you back to fully functioning.
Badge
Its 7:30 EST and still no response. Guess I might have to try Twitter tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That's the whole point of my thread. I CAN NOT ADD A FOLDER to my music library. Period.

Now all the sudden it says it wont work and removes my folder and wont let me add the folder back or any other folder on my PC.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending the diagnostic report. Your Sonos system is reporting that it does not have permission to edit the folder permissions on your computer. This can happen if you're not logged in as an administrator on your computer or if the Sonos user account has some errors. Please make sure you're logged in as an administrator and see if you can add the music share.

If you are logged in as an admin, try going to your computer's control panel and head into the user accounts. Delete the Sonos user account, then head back to the Sonos app and try to add the share. This should recreate the user account with the correct permissions, allowing you to create the shared folder.

If that doesn't work, pleas send along a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Badge

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending the diagnostic report. Your Sonos system is reporting that it does not have permission to edit the folder permissions on your computer. This can happen if you're not logged in as an administrator on your computer or if the Sonos user account has some errors. Please make sure you're logged in as an administrator and see if you can add the music share.

If you are logged in as an admin, try going to your computer's control panel and head into the user accounts. Delete the Sonos user account, then head back to the Sonos app and try to add the share. This should recreate the user account with the correct permissions, allowing you to create the shared folder.

If that doesn't work, pleas send along a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.

Thanks for the help. Sadly, I have been logged in as an admin and am now. Went and deleted the Sonos user account. Still unsuccessful.

Here's the new confirmation number: 500805681
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the help. Sadly, I have been logged in as an admin and am now. Went and deleted the Sonos user account. Still unsuccessful.

Here's the new confirmation number: 500805681

At this point it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this live. Please call us up, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge
I'm still having this same problem. I really don't want to have to spend all day on the phone.. I don't have that kind of time.

Is there anyone else that could give me more things to try that might fix this please?
Badge
Anyone?
Badge
Man now I wish I didn't spend $200 on a speaker that I can't get any help with 😞
I am having the same problem. You are probably on Windows 10 build 1803. Microsoft broke (removed) some form of older networking. Basically, you can not have a public share without a username/password. This is not how is used to work. If the SONOS program is supposed to create a user that can log in, then its still most likely MS messing something up, but SONOS has to live with whatever Microsoft does. I tried calling in today but the line was too long and I miseed the closing time.
I just updated this piece of crap app and sure enough my previously shared folder is no longer shared and won't be reshared under any circumstances. I do not have a firewall set up. My folder is set to shared. I'm the only user and the administrator of the computer and above all, I do not and will not under any circumstances go to any great inconvenience to get this shit heap working again when prior the stupid update, it worked. OWN UP SONOS! Your update f'd things up and you'd better see to getting it fixed or I'm off to the department of fair trading for a refund.
Badge
If any of you two that posted above me get this resolved please let me know. I've been dealing with this for a couple of months now and so I'm out of the return policy.
Hi.I have just updated the software and have the same message.I tried to point the software at the file that contains my itunes and it just keep saying the same thing "there is no shared folder on the computer".Prior to updating it was happily finding my music files.I am seriously annoyed.Can someone help please
If any of you two that posted above me get this resolved please let me know. I've been dealing with this for a couple of months now and so I'm out of the return policy. I'm working on a fix right now. I moved a few music files to one of my external hard drives, set the folder to sharing and managed to successfully add the library to Sonos. I am moving more music into it now but I have quite a collection so it will take a few hours. I think moving the music might be the only answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I gave up on sharing from Windows long ago, a WD Live (Ethernet) Drive works quite well and is plug and play, or you can roll your own server with a Raspberry Pi that is a bit more flexible and not hard to set up.
so how do you wire up the external hard drive to sonos?
so how do you wire up the external hard drive to sonos? You just move your library to an external drive and then in the Sonos controller>Manage Library Settings>Music Library>Add>Another Folder or Drive connected to my computer. This is about the only fix I could come up with. Sonos suggests I call them, but ain't nobody got time for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You don't wire the WD Live Drive to the computer as such but to your router or a switch, the files are then shared over your network.

A standard Ethernet cable plugged into the drive and your router/switch should be assigned an IP address automatically. yoiu can usually also use the router's DHCP page to assign it a static/reserved IP address (a very good idea) and a name that will make things a bit more stable.

Then on your Sonos controller just enter the drive's name and the path to your music and it should work. If it doesn't check to make sure you have SMB v1 enabled as Sonos uses it for fetching files to play.
You don't wire the WD Live Drive to the computer as such but to your router or a switch, the files are then shared over your network.

A standard Ethernet cable plugged into the drive and your router/switch should be assigned an IP address automatically. yoiu can usually also use the router's DHCP page to assign it a static/reserved IP address (a very good idea) and a name that will make things a bit more stable.

Then on your Sonos controller just enter the drive's name and the path to your music and it should work. If it doesn't check to make sure you have SMB v1 enabled as Sonos uses it for fetching files to play.

You can wire it to your computer and hook up to the Sonos wirelessly and use the controller on your PC. That's what I'm doing so I know it works. I could connect it via ethernet to the router but I have no need to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Connecting the WD to your computer gives up on the built-in networking so just buying a USB or SATA external drive would work as well. The advantage the Live Drive offers is operation when your computer is not turned on.