Help requested for fixing glitch

Of late my system is acting up sometimes, and Sonos support has been a little tardy, so if anyone here has any ideas I would be grateful.
My set up is a Bridge wired to a Time Capsule router, with a 4 zone set up. NAS is a WD passport USB drive, wired to the USB socket of the TC.
The problem is music play stopping at random times, even when a single zone is playing. Internet radio doesn't seem to be affected. When this happens, when I select a playlist, the controller response to a replace queue command is an error in selecting tracks message, nothing moves to the queue, and no music plays in response to the command.
All Sonos units have reserved IP addresses in the router. Sonos support also asked me to provide 50 cms separation between the router and Bridge - I have about 40 cms vertical separation, so that should be enough.
I do suffer occasional power outages, but Sonos usually copes, rebooting on its own when the generator kicks in. All I have to then do is reselect the required playlist and replace it in the queue. The TC/wifi always copes with these successfully.
I have sent diagnostics to Sonos, but the only response to this has been a change of channel to 6 from 1 for Sonos - after being told that the TC is set to channel 11 for 2.5ghz, and automatic for 5ghz. That didn't do much, so currently I am back to 1 for Sonos and 11 for TC.
The last music session from the NAS was flawless.
Before I go ahead with doing something like replacing the NAS, does anyone have any alternates to propose?
Thank in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Yes, back ups are over wifi, with the Mac sitting about 2 feet from the player in the bedroom.
I will look for the data you refer to, thanks.
Yes, back ups are over wifi, with the Mac sitting about 2 feet from the player in the bedroom.
Aha. You'd better look in /status/dmesg for that Player as well.

BTW which channels are WiFi and Sonos using?
Aha. You'd better look in /status/dmesg for that Player as well.

BTW which channels are WiFi and Sonos using?

Wifi is channel 11 for 2.4 and automatic for 5. No wide or turbo option. Sonos is on 1. At the instance of Sonos support, I moved Sonos to 6, but it did not help, so the last week or so it is back on 1 where it has been for a long time.
In theory, the proximity of the Mac and the player should not matter, I would think.
My current solution is to not do back ups when music is playing - easily done.
In theory, the proximity of the Mac and the player should not matter, I would think.
The proximity could matter just as much as that between a router and a Bridge, but with your channel separation the impact ought to be minimal assuming the WiFi adapters are behaving themselves.

When these backups occur are they unattended or are you busy working at the machine, and if the latter are your keyboard and/or mouse wireless? I ask because these are often spread-spectrum devices which throw low-level noise all over the 2.4GHz band. I've seen their effect on the OFDM ANI Level in the newer Sonos units, but not in the older OFDM Weak signal level measurement.

It would be interesting to figure out why there's a correlation between backups and performance on that one bedroom Player.

When these backups occur are they unattended or are you busy working at the machine, and if the latter are your keyboard and/or mouse wireless? I

It would be interesting to figure out why there's a correlation between backups and performance on that one bedroom Player.

I do the back ups when I am at the machine, but it is a Macbook Pro, no separate attachments needed.

The next time this happens, I will report the new information you have pointed me to.
You'd better look in /status/dmesg for that Player as well.

I assume you are referring to: /bin/dmesg
I could not see any status/dmesg, there is another one named lockup.dmesg.
Nothing to post because all is well, even when backing up, with the Mac and the play 5 in the bedroom. When things change, I will post with status information.
No sign of recurrence, and a frustrating thing about this is that one can't force it to happen either!
In the meanwhile, the play 1 has come home, and it took more time to update software than to get added. Playing flawlessly, and I am pleased with it.
Sonos has a marketing brochure in the box, and I have to say in the light of the various posts I have read here, it isn't as honest as it ought to be. IMO.
For one, the play 1 page has a photo of it without any mains wire visible - nor are they visible on the other product pages, but one could justify that by saying that the furniture on which products are placed can be used to conceal the wire. Not so for the play 1 photo on a bath stool next to a bath tub.
And the blurb at the end - All the music on earth, in every room, wirelessly. Not quite honest, is it? One can't even get the music off the home computer to Sonos that way, leave alone from the rest of the earth.
Posting here because I did not want to open a new thread,

Yesterday my Connect, that is just a few metres line of sight to the Boost, became a brick for some time. After a Connect reboot, it was back to normal, but I suspect that reboot was not the reason for this.

This has happened in the past, and looking up my support history, I notice a Sonos Support surprise expressed at why this happens even with a strong signal - high 50s - to the Connect. Packet error rates seem to suddenly rise and Support wanted to have a call to investigate, but since the problem went away, we did not pursue the matter further back in August.

My question: in what part of the matrix will this rise in packet error rates be visible?

For any Sonos staff reading this, 7014240 is the diagnostic at the time three grouped zones and one independent zone were working fine, but the Connect was not responding.